Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs

Go down 
+8
renfield286
AndweKennyCary
cianty
FKSN
Eliazar
lord siwoc
Ezekiel
hannibalisfun
12 posters
AuthorMessage
hannibalisfun
Youngblood
Youngblood
hannibalisfun

Trading Reputation : 0

dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Empty
PostSubject: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeSat 10 Jul 2010 - 21:21

I am considering starting a black dwarf warband for my fall mordhiem
league. I was wondering what people though was the cheapest way to put
this warband together would be? I would like to avoid suggestion that use a lot of green stuff since I suck at using it.

thanks,
nik
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeSat 10 Jul 2010 - 21:27

I'd suggest getting better at greenstuff and then using a lot of it! Wink

nah, you could get a box of plastic dwarf warriors and just convert them a little bit (different weapons and some goggles perhaps, just like Pfreck did with his awesome conversions, they definately worked out great...
add some goblins and you're done!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeSat 10 Jul 2010 - 21:55

Mantic games has just released their dwarves.

Since they look different there will be no mistaking. Ofcourse the paint will have a thing to say also.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeSat 10 Jul 2010 - 22:01

Once upon a time, I've seen a video tutorial about how to convert Battle for Skull pass dwarfs to chaos dwarfs, pretty straight forward and though using a lot of greenstuff, also good for beginners (a chaos dwarf was the first model I used greenstuff on). But without converting, you'd have to be super lucky and find some at a garage sale with the vendor not knowing what exactly he's selling. Or you buy a lot of these big chaos cannons.
Back to top Go down
FKSN
Warlord
Warlord
FKSN

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 1:26

Have you checked out Scibor's Moscals? Quite a bit more expensive than the Mantic dwarves.. but a hell of a lot sexier as well dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_lol
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 9:16

Or you could easily assemble a warband with these minis:
http://www.hasslefreeminiatures.co.uk/range.php?range_id=66

(Or you wait a year or so until GW release a new Chaos Dwarfs armybook)
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
hannibalisfun
Youngblood
Youngblood
hannibalisfun

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeSun 11 Jul 2010 - 9:18

Thanks for the ideas. Now, i just need pick one and wait until I have some money.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jul 2010 - 19:03

After a quick search, I discovered that I posted the link to the tutorial at this very forum myself dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_redface

Here it is: https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/tutorials-f18/converting-chaos-dwarfs-t1062.htm?highlight=chaos+dwarfs
Back to top Go down
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeMon 12 Jul 2010 - 19:28

Actually pretty good. I really like this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
AndweKennyCary

AndweKennyCary

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeSun 8 May 2011 - 7:09

This is very Nice post you mentioned here. Cathayan Monk 2 :magister: Cathayan Monk 1 Undead
Back to top Go down
renfield286
Captain
Captain
renfield286

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeThu 13 Oct 2011 - 12:55

cianty wrote:
(Or you wait a year or so until GW release a new Chaos Dwarfs armybook)

Still not going to be cheap though, Looks like these guys are pure fanservice for CD players
And Really Expensive as Forge world are doing the minis (they do look awesome though)
Back to top Go down
http://renfieldin28mm.6sided.net/
oldskoolrebel
Warrior
Warrior
oldskoolrebel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeMon 31 Oct 2011 - 17:54

Hasslefree sculpts and casts are normally of the finest quality I'd recommend them. They should also fit with the really old GW chaos dwarf models (the pre-Assyrian ones). You can normally pick up some of the old GW ones from ebay quite cheaply.

FKSN wrote:
Have you checked out Scibor's Moscals? Quite a bit more expensive than the Mantic dwarves.. but a hell of a lot sexier as well dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_lol

Wow, they are stunning models... I really like the russian look to them aswell, ooh I'd be sorely tempted! Hmm

...Thanks for the head up... although I'm pretty sure that my wallet doesn't thank you lol!

And yeah, I'd a bit undecided on the mantic chaos dwarves. Actually I'm abit unsure on mantic full stop. Although I can tell you that I prefer their ghouls and zombies to gws. Although if I had the money I'd use Otherworld zombies, especially the demihumans- old school D&D goodness!

Cheers
Andy
Back to top Go down
Phantasmal_fiend
General
General
Phantasmal_fiend

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeFri 20 Jan 2012 - 21:49

just file off the celtic designs on the regular dwarf sprue, then paint them up really evil that's what i did and they look pretty good, i wish i had a camera so i could post pic's, use dark colours and pay attention to the eyes
Back to top Go down
Myth
Hero
Hero
Myth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeFri 10 Feb 2012 - 4:32

The King's War Conclave from Mantic is full of gorgeous models. My friends gave their approval earlier tonight when we played.
Back to top Go down
Myth
Hero
Hero
Myth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeFri 30 Mar 2012 - 21:49

I use some of these models as well! They're amazingly well detailed with the exception of the handgunners whose weapons are kind of bland. Still, they're some very cool models!

http://www.cpmodelsminiatures.co.uk/CP%20MODELS%2028MM%20DWARVEN%20EMPIRE.htm
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitimeFri 13 Apr 2012 - 20:47

The Super Cheap way is just to take the Normal Dwarves and paint them up differently. I always find it surprising how much you can change things with minor mods, and a good paint job.

One of my Blood Bowl Teams I didn't have enough Dark Elf Linemen but I had some Extra High Elf Linemen. Just Painting them the same colors as my Dark Elves most people didn't notice until I brought it up.

Back to my Original Point, buying a Box of Dwaves and some Random alternate bits to use when you are assembling them can do a long way. So Swap-out the Weapons for slightly different ones like human, Elf or Orc Weapons then painting them in the Chaos Dwarf Style goes a long way.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs   dwarfs - looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

looking for a cheap way to black dwarfs
Page 1 of 1