Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Base Template for Creating New WarBands?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

template - Base Template for Creating New WarBands? Empty
PostSubject: Base Template for Creating New WarBands?   template - Base Template for Creating New WarBands? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun 2010 - 3:04

Has anyone ever seen, or know of a base template (for lack of a better term) that could be used for the design of new War Band types? or has anyone created one for their own use before?

I was thinking that there must be some type of formula for this or some general cost to skill ratio type system used when designing a new warband types and its members.

The reason I ask is this. I have considered using various other figure sets from time to time such as Alkemy figures, or WarMachines / Hordes. But trying to use those other figures and put them into existing war bands doesn't always work equipment wise. Unless modifying the figures.

For this reason I thought it might be easier to write fluff, and come up with entirely new war bands! But I wanted to approach it with some guidelines vs. just giving them what I wanted and having the end result be over or under powered or out of line with other war bands.

Any ways. If no one knows of anything like this I had some thoughts of how to go about it.

I was thinking of using Humans as the base and trying compare to other races in order to reverse engineer how the cost of those models was determined. Much in the same way as figuring out skill advances. Maybe creating a chart with warband special skills etc., and associating costs to them to try and come up with a generic war band generator.
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Base Template for Creating New WarBands?   template - Base Template for Creating New WarBands? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun 2010 - 4:31

I don't think you'll find a stat calculator for mordheim. Standardized costs can be difficult to ascertain due to a number of factors; obviously a high ballistic skill is better in a warband with access to higher quality ranged weapons etc...

You must also take into consideration racial special rules, number of available starting heroes, starting exp of heroes, access to hired swords, weapon selection.. and the list goes on!

So since templated method does not exist, i can only offer some advice based on my experience with Night Goblins. You may wish to seek council from more distinguished warband creators than myself.

I think the best thing to do when creating a warband is to start with something that already exists, and is reasonably accepted as official or close to official. Choose something that fits the stats best, beastmen for Alkemy cat people, or mercenaries for any number of human miniatures.

Once you decide on a model warband, decide on what vision you have for the warband. What makes your warband different enough from the existing ones to even validate this endeavor? For me it was the desire to make a more flavorful and less bland Night Goblin warband, while keeping what worked (namely the snotlings and a couple of skills).

When i started writing my (still incomplete) night goblins, i started with the Karak Azgal warband. I found that the starting costs, stats and exp of the heroes didn't quite mesh with other more official warbands, so i used the forest goblins (nemesis crown) as a base for my hero stats/costs.

Once i had a basic warband i started too introduce some new ideas. I wanted a squig herder hero, and a way to encourage the excessive consumption of madcap mushrooms!

Try to change a few things at a time and play a few games to make sure the departures from the model warband are never too drastic or unbalancing. One thing i may not have done which i would suggest is to include a drawback for each advantage you give.

When it comes to costs, my only advice is to use what already exists, and is it doesn't use gut instincts and play test to see how accurate your gut-magic is!

I tried to stick to what existed but still add a few twists to make it fresh and exciting.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Base Template for Creating New WarBands?   template - Base Template for Creating New WarBands? Icon_minitimeThu 17 Jun 2010 - 4:36

"I think the best thing to do when creating a warband is to start with
something that already exists, and is reasonably accepted as official or
close to official."

Yes, I think Pathfinder is correct, here. There are so many ways to balance (or unbalance) a warband that reverse-engineering a formula would be very tricky. But if you start with a balanced warband and keep your additions and subtractions balanced, you should be in the target area, if not the bullseye when you are done. And then playtest a lot...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Base Template for Creating New WarBands?   template - Base Template for Creating New WarBands? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Base Template for Creating New WarBands?
Page 1 of 1