HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Sirrah, Ye Lie!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Fri 11 Jun 2010 - 12:13

I wrote this a while ago for a RotC campaign. Once we landed on Sartosa I included it in the scenario lists but it never got rolled up. Last night it got a good playtest so I thought I'd put it out here for comment.

My apologies for the format.

Sirrah, Ye Lie!

Background. In the teeming streets of the town tempers are short and nerves are frayed. A chance meeting between rivals can turn into a bloody riot with little or no provocation. There are strict laws against public brawls, but the town teems with proud fighting men of varying allegiances and the Watch cannot be everywhere…

Terrain
A Market Square in Araby. A 4x4 table is recommended for 2-4 players. The square itself should be 18 to 24 inches across. Buildings, arches and gateways surround it. The square has scattered stalls, carts, crates, barrels and bales (of cotton?). A well should be placed within 6 inches of the center of the square.

Set-up
1 Randomly determine the forces available for the battle. (See Special Rules below.)

2 Roll off to determine who sets up first. Determine setup zones as in Chance Encounter. A randomly determined henchman or hired sword model must be set up within 3 inches of center in the owning player’s setup zone. The rest of the available warriors may then be set up. No warrior may be closer than 6 inches to another warrior. No warrior may be set up within 8 inches of a board edge. Once the first player has set up the other player(s) set up in turns in the same manner.

Special Rules
1 Just shopping. A randomly chosen hero has decided he must visit the market. He is accompanied by up to 3 randomly chosen henchmen or hired swords. Note do not chose a random henchmen and then a random hired sword. Henchmen and hired swords should be chosen from the same pool. Thus if you have 3 henchman groups and 1 hired sword, the groups could be numbers 1-3 and the hired sword 4. If you roll a 2 and that henchman group has 4 members then 3 of them will accompany the hero on the walk to the market.

2 No Deadly Force. The rulers of the town frown heavily on brawling. They may kill you for causing death or injury to another citizen. Only one member of the shopping expedition may carry a weapon that is not a dagger or a hand weapon. And that weapon will always strike last in its first round of use do to the difficulty of employing a weapon that has been wrapped to look like a harmless bundle of sticks, for example. Similarly throwing knives and pistols may be carried, but only one member of the party may carry a bow, crossbow, blunderbuss or handgun. This model must spend one turn doing nothing else to deploy his hidden weapon.

3 No Trouble. The leaders of the warband have stressed that the town is for relaxation not fighting. Thus the first blows of the fight must be struck with fists only. Use the fighting without weapons rules from the Mordheim main rulebook. However, each time a friendly party member is downed (knocked down, stunned or OOA), the remaining members must each pass a leadership test or draw steel. This test is at a minus 3 if either side has an Ogre bodyguard, Troll or Rat Ogre…. Also if the warband member suffers from hatred or frenzy it will automatically fail a test to restrain itself. Once one side draws a weapon, the other warband will automatically defend itself with weapons as well.

4 Hey Rube! At the start of turn 2 roll for each member of the warband that is not on the table. On a roll of 4+ the model or group of models will enter from a randomly determined table edge. (Use the same method as the Surprise Attack scenario.) Models entering from other parts of town may charge on the turn they enter but they are subject to the weapon restrictions above. If none of the original shopping party carried a forbidden weapon, one of the reinforcements may. This weapon is not subject to the above restrictions since the warrior has had time to ready it as they answer the alarm.

5 Town. The campaign rules Crowded and Guards! apply during Daylight. At Night the rules Darkness and Guards! apply. Other rules may apply depending on the actual location. (See Relics of the Crusades setting www.accursedknowledge.0catch.com )

6 Captured! The authorities capture any heroes that roll 61 on the Serious Injury table. Also keep track of any heroes taken OOA by the Guard, they are also captured and need not roll on the injury table.

Starting the game
Each player rolls a d6. The highest roll may move first.

Ending the game
The game ends when all warbands but one have routed and any Guards that arrived during the fight are not in combat, OOA, knocked down or stunned. If both warbands rout the Guards gain a pay raise. (No actual affect.)

Experience
+1 Survives. If a Hero or Henchmen group survive the battle they gain +1 experience.
+1 Winning leader.
+1 per enemy out of action.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
kroxigor01
Youngblood
Youngblood

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Sat 12 Jun 2010 - 8:32

Hah! I like it!

I will definitely get my group to have a look at this and see if we can give it a whirl.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Sat 12 Jun 2010 - 10:13

It sounds interesting. Might be able to use it fairly soon, in fact.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 12:03

Thanks guys, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Last weeks play-test was under our usual rushed store conditions. The scenario was rolled up as the last possible game of the night (less than 90 minutes to store close.) After getting some more feedback from the local guys it turns out that our test run wasn't too close to the rules. Smile

Problems the players encountered:
--grasping the premise of avoiding lethal force. The players were trying to avoid playing another round of Last Orders, but they got caught up in believing that this scenario is just Last Orders with no walls and no restriction on daggers. Forbidden weapons were unwrapped in the first turn so that they could be used in the second. Later the players were confused about why there was rule for a leadership test to avoid 'drawing steel' since their warriors had bloody blades in their hands.

--understanding the term 'hand weapon'. I used 'hand weapon' rather than list all the weapons allowed. This meant that all warriors had their daggers but swords were assumed to be forbidden. I'm not sure of how axes or clubs were treated. Since they had their daggers warriors just naturally used them. None of this unarmed stuff.

My intention was that all warriors would be armed with their daggers and other hand weapons such as swords, hammers, axes, etc. Spears, halberds, flails and two-handed weapons (or Great Weapons as Warhammer calls them now) would be reserved for the Watch and the one warrior who has somehow disguised his spear (or whatever).

--missile weapon types. When I wrote the scenario we had a mix of human and dwarf warbands. I did not even think about slings. The Skaven player argued that he should be allowed his slings. Easy to conceal, etc. The balance of missile power shifted from the pistol packing pirates to the slinging rats.

After a couple of days I'm still kind of undecided as to whether to simply put a range limit on missile weapons. As in nothing with a range greater than 10" without a skill. Or say sure slings are fine just no bows of any type, crossbows, handguns, blunderbusses, hochland long rifles etc. (Slings being quite deadly in the hands of a hench-rat, I am now inclined to the range limit idea.)

--deploying missile weapons. My intention is that missile weapons will not be used until one side has drawn steel. Then all bets are off.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
playtable
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 14:34

Quote :
Later the players were confused about why there was rule for a leadership test to avoid 'drawing steel' since their warriors had bloody blades in their hands.
And I'm still confused. If you could use weapons why not???
Does the Watch leave you alone if you haven't "drawn steel"?
?????????????????
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://s218.photobucket.com/albums/cc193/playtable/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 15:16

Well a rule that says you aren't supposed to isn't enough, that's for sure.

I think that delaying the arrival of the watch until weapons are actually used is a good way of simulating the reason for the restraint. Good idea.

Maybe an experience bonus if no weapons are drawn...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 15:30

Any warband that draws weapons sells its shards (stuff) for half the normal value after the game, and cannot search for rare items. Maybe a reduced penalty for the second and subsequent warbands to draw steel, after the first one does (self defense). The penalty reflects the merchants' collective displeasure at the violence.

Another similar approach might be that any hero who draws steel cannot roll a search die, and the warband is fined (5 gold?) for every henchman who draws a weapon.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Tue 15 Jun 2010 - 21:22

A couple of things to further explain the campaign settings:
--Relics of the Crusades as written does not allow a warband to generate ANY income at all in a city/town through "Exploration".
We played that way for a week and gave that up as a bad job. We replaced rolling no dice for exploration in towns with rolling half the dice for heroes rounded up plus any dice allowed by winning or skills.

--Sartosa places no limits on Exploration as written. Styrofoamking was not as particular about where piratey things take place. And my scenario is just cobbled on to his setting anyway.

So fines in Relics would be possibly devastating. As would a 5 gc fine per combatant on a 20 goblin warband. Smile

I do think that a fine of say a 25% increase in prices might be in order, since merchants are going to be put out.

However, my purpose in writing the scenario was not to prevent a fight. It is just to simulate the movie cliche of the escalating brawl. Thus the warbands are not discouraged to strike the first blow or draw their weapons. They are just given a series of steps to go through before they can cut loose their wolf.

Maybe instead of just mindlessly fighting the Watch the warbands have the option to put up their weapons, outlaws could flee, etc. Victory could be determined on the amount of mayhem caused before the Watch breaks it up.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Wed 16 Jun 2010 - 8:15

And lets not forget to add the crowd parting and a big dude with a sword shows up.....

Good scenario sir! Its somewhat like the "Market Crash" scenario we are using in the Grudge of Sheer.

Da Kaptain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Wed 16 Jun 2010 - 10:13

"Market Crash"? Link?

Last week it was a small rat with a Plague Censor. lol
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Wed 16 Jun 2010 - 10:17

Quote :
"Market Crash"? Link?

Last week it was a small rat with a Plague Censor. lol

Link? Now that would imply I actually posted a new battle report, and we know that has happened! LOL! I will see if I can find the notes form our games though and post to you.

Now of course you have got me baffled with the rat reference. I have thought and thought about it and I am lost. Looks like you are going to have to spell it out for me, I am rather dim...

Da Kaptain
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Wed 16 Jun 2010 - 10:37

Sorry, the part of the big arab with a sword was played by a novice plague monk with a plague censor. Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kaptain BlackSquig
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Wed 16 Jun 2010 - 20:13

See
Thick as a brick I am, didnt even pick up on that one...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Wed 26 Jan 2011 - 9:19

NECROMANCY! Undead

So, I've asked Von if I can stick this in the Soon-to-be-released-about-bloody-time supplement, and he asked me to look at it. I think I'll skip over the clear parts and merely rewrite the more confusing parts, if that's okay.:

Set-up
1. A randomly chosen hero has decided he must visit the market. He is accompanied by up to 3 randomly chosen henchmen or hired swords. Note do not chose a random henchmen and then a random hired sword. Henchmen and hired swords should be chosen from the same pool. (Ex. If you have 3 henchman groups and 1 hired sword, the groups could be numbers 1-3 and the hired sword 4. If you roll a 2 and that henchman group has 4 members then 3 of them will accompany the hero on the walk to the market.) These 4 warriors are the "shoppers". All other heroes, henchmen, hired swords and dramatis personae start elsewhere in the town and turn up later as reinforcements.

2 Roll off to determine who sets up first. Determine setup zones as in Chance Encounter (i.e. in one of two diagonal zones). Within that set-up zone, the player then sets up his Shoppers- they must be located between 3" and 12" from the center of the board, with at least one model at exactly 3" from the center. Once the first player has set up the other player(s) set up in turns in the same manner.

Special Rules

1 No Deadly Force. The rulers of the town frown heavily on brawling. They may kill you for causing death or injury to another citizen. Only one member of the shopping expedition may carry a weapon that is not a dagger or a hand weapon. And that weapon will always strike last in its first round of use do to the difficulty of employing a weapon that has been wrapped to look like a harmless bundle of sticks, for example. Similarly throwing knives and pistols may be carried, but only one member of the party may carry a bow, crossbow, blunderbuss or handgun. This model must spend one turn doing nothing else to deploy his hidden weapon.

2 No Trouble. The leaders of the warband have stressed that the town is for relaxation not fighting. Thus the first blows of the fight must be struck with fists only. Use the fighting without weapons rules from the Mordheim main rulebook. However, each time a friendly party member is downed (knocked down, stunned or OOA), the remaining members must each pass a leadership test or draw steel. This test is at a minus 3 if either side has an Ogre bodyguard, Troll or Rat Ogre…. Also if the warband member suffers from hatred or frenzy it will automatically fail a test to restrain itself. Once one side draws a weapon, the other warband will automatically defend itself with weapons as well.

3 Hey Rube! Each player, at the start of his second and subsequent turns, may roll 1D6 for each member of the warband that is not on the table. On a roll of 4+ the model or group of models will enter from a randomly determined table edge. (Use the same method as the Surprise Attack scenario.) Models entering from other parts of town may charge on the turn they enter but they are subject to the weapon restrictions above. If none of the original shopping party carried a forbidden weapon, one of the reinforcements may. This weapon is not subject to the above restrictions since the warrior has had time to ready it as they answer the alarm.

[skip a bit]

Experience
+1 Winning Leader - The winning warband leader gains +1 Experience. This applies even if the Leader has not appeared on the board yet.
+1 Keeping Your Head - The warband that draws first will receive an extra hard time from the local authorities. Thus, any hero that is in a warband that didn't draw first gains +1 experience.

Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Wed 26 Jan 2011 - 10:34

StyrofoamKing wrote:
Set-up

2 Roll off to determine who sets up first. Determine setup zones as in Chance Encounter (i.e. in one of two diagonal zones). Within that set-up zone, the player then sets up his Shoppers- they must be located between 3" and 12" from the center of the board, with at least one model at exactly 3" from the center. Once the first player has set up the other player(s) set up in turns in the same manner.

Thanks for your feedback! I like the changes above except for this one. As the scenario plays now (we have played it since) the brawl slowly develops as warriors move to the center and enter randomly from the board edges. This makes the game longer and increases the odds that most warriors will have entered the board by game's end.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Wed 26 Jan 2011 - 11:44

Understood. The original wording (must have one within 3", all models must be 6" apart, can't be within 8" of the edge) was a little funky. The three rules (added to the Chance Encounter) makes everyone go "what?" How's this then:

Determine setup zones as in Chance Encounter (i.e. in one of two diagonal zones). Within that set-up zone, the player then sets up his Shoppers- one of them must be within 3" from from the center of the board. The player then sets up his remaining model within the zone, each of them exactly 6" away from all other models (or as close as possible).

With no min or max (must be 6! Mach schnell!) the models will be separated, but without causing too many scratched heads.

Random Entrance: Oh, I am all for the trickling. Let me rephrase it: "Once the first player has set up his Shoppers, the other player(s) set up their Shoppers turns in the same manner. All other models remain off of the board until they appear as reinforcements."
Back to top Go down
View user profile https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
BalrogTheBuff
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Wed 26 Jan 2011 - 12:14

Now I am thinking of a Mordheim scenario using the Mall Madness game board...

Sale over at Bloodbath and Beyond!

Sale on slightly used armor and shields!

"Grok saw Gromril Armor first!"

And yes I HAVE played Mall Madness once and was proud that I DESTROYED all the female players at their own game... Of course it was when I was 22...

Embarassed

Oh and imagine a hidden Swivel Gun... what fun!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sirrah, Ye Lie!   Today at 23:53

Back to top Go down

Sirrah, Ye Lie!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Rules and Gameplay-
Jump to: