Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Science and Magic

Go down 
+5
Figgy
Ironfoundersson
WarbossKurgan
DeafNala
Zodiyum
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

Magic - Science and Magic Empty
PostSubject: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jun 2010 - 12:56

Hello fellow Mordheimers, This is the start of my first Mordiheim army. The rules ill play with are the Ostander Mercenaries but the models ill be playing with will be a lil different. I will be using Empire Flagellants for the main body of most of my troops, I have not decided upon the arms yet. I may go with the the Pistoleer arms which I have a couple of for my standard guys and some double handed guns for the more elite. Suggestions are very welcome on the matter Smile . My story for them is that they are mad engineers that live up in the mountains, they have come into Mordheim in search of warpstone they think they can use as fuel for their contraptions.

As I said before the main body im using is the Flagellant. I want to put goggles on them and bought some copper tubing that is 1/8th of an inch wide but dont have any way to cut it with out it crumpling, again suggestions are most welcomed. An idea I had for their shoulder pads would be to put some small nails or pins to make rivets.

ill post pictures when I make some decent progress. C&C appreciated -Zodiyum
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jun 2010 - 13:27

The background fluff sounds good...in character & imaginative. The Lads sound like they'll have an Confrontation Alchemist look to them...VERY COOL. Plastic tubing might work easier than the copper. Looking forward to what(ever) you come up with. Magic - Science and Magic Fresse
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jun 2010 - 13:57

An interesting idea! A bit Steampunk Very Happy

I would suggest using slices of plastic rod for the goggles rather than trying to make "hollow" frames just glue disks over their eyes. You could also add straps using a very small amount of greenstuff (or if your GS skills are good you could make the goggles completely out of it!)

Either way - lets see some photos when you've tried! Shocked
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeWed 9 Jun 2010 - 14:55

Thanks for the quick and helpful responses Nala and Kurgan, I will look into getting some plastic rods tomorrow (from memory its 4 times as expensive as the copper Crying or Very sad but it would last me a life time Smile ). Photo's will be coming soon but as my camera skills are dodgy I will make a lightbox to get some half decent pictures. Im not sure about my GS skills, havnt used since I was 13 but I will look into it. Painted my first model in a while recently , an Ork I customized from 40K to look like it was from Mordheim ill chuck it up (hopfully) tomorrow. Thanks again for the positive feedback Smile
Back to top Go down
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 12:03

Magic - Science and Magic Orc_0011
This is my warm up miniture, havnt painted in awhile. Took me about 15 mins.

Magic - Science and Magic War_0114
First guy I made, I quite like him Smile

Magic - Science and Magic War_0115

Magic - Science and Magic War_0116

Magic - Science and Magic War_0117

Magic - Science and Magic War_0118

And all together now
Magic - Science and Magic War_0010

They all look very similar at the moment, cant wait to jazz them up with some goggles and whatnot Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 14:01

You did the Orc in 15 minutes...are you in a different time/space continuum than than the rest of us? Magic - Science and Magic Suspect
The Lads all look GREAT...AND a bit different with a definite Steampunk feel to them. As a Steampunk Fan, I definitely approve...for whatever that's worth. Keep'em coming; it's a VERY promising project. Magic - Science and Magic 544694
Back to top Go down
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 14:14

Maybe 15 was an exaggeration, 25ish? Felt really fast because I was enjoying my self. I have just started painting them, now I need to find out what this ''stream punk'' everyone is talking about is
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 14:27

Enjoying yourself is the BEST reason for painting.

Probably the prime example of Steampunk is War Machine with Wyrd's Malifaux as another in the genre. I thinking of getting this Reaper mini as part of my own Steampunked Mordheim project:

Magic - Science and Magic 50165_w_1

50165: Decker Lugstampf, Steampunk Hero ($6.99)
Ben Siens

It's kind of an alternate "what if" take on Fantasy. Magic - Science and Magic Fresse
Back to top Go down
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 14:54

Nice Model, kinda reminds me of Bioshock. ill go check out your Steampunk project for some ideas Smile . And yes enjoying your self is the best reason to do it, as a young child painting was always a task that had to be done, going at my own pace is much better. Bad news though im running out of right arms which is a real problem Sad
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 15:53

DeafNala wrote:
The Lads all look GREAT...AND a bit different with a definite Steampunk feel to them. As a Steampunk Fan, I definitely approve...for whatever that's worth. Keep'em coming; it's a VERY promising project. Magic - Science and Magic 544694

+1!

Zodiyum wrote:
I have just started painting them, now I need to find out what this ''stream punk'' everyone is talking about is

Steampunk is a science fiction sub-genre. The name comes from a playful mis-use the 1990s term Cyberpunk.

Steampunk is generally, but not always, a Victorian (i.e. late 19th century) alternative reality with a lot of added technology that almost always involves steam power, clockwork, brass, polished wood and glass. Airships are also a common feature.

Googles are a major element of steampunk fashion and magic is occationally included which is why everyone is talking about Steampunk in relation to this thread - goggles, science and magic!

Try these links:
Steampunk images

steampunk fashion
Back to top Go down
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 15:59

Looks cool, in its own way. Ive never read or watched any si/fi related media (except X-files). But I now get where your coming from, ive been looking around the interwebs for other steampunk warhammer and have found some very cool models including robotic orks and a clockwork dragon. I was thinking more of alchemists with fire, but I can work this idea in. goes well with all the gun powder. Maybe use gears as shields?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 16:13

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen or any H.G.Wells or R.L.Stevenson movies/books would fit with the Steampunk genre...Van Helsing is another. Magic - Science and Magic 544694
Back to top Go down
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 16:16

H.G Wells wrote the Time Traveler or something similar didnt he I remember seeing that book in a library a while ago and... wait this is getting very off-topic
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 16:22

Zodiyum wrote:
H.G Wells wrote the Time Traveler or something similar didnt he I remember seeing that book in a library a while ago and... wait this is getting very off-topic

Close.. it's Time Machine; War of the Worlds is another title to check out. H.G.Wells is also considered the father of War gaming as a hobby; prior to WWI he wrote Little Wars, which is the first published set of war game rules aimed at the general public. Cool, huh?! Magic - Science and Magic Fresse
Back to top Go down
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 16:24

huh I would have never guesses nice wargaming history, need to get around to reading war of the worlds looks like a good book, does it have any steampunk themes?
Back to top Go down
Ironfoundersson
Hero
Hero
Ironfoundersson

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 16:31

That's a pretty sweet idea! You're models are looking pretty damned good so far. I'd say add some flasks or other sciency looking items around their belts. Maybe some caged beasties they've found and want to study. Can't wait to see more!
About War of the Worlds, the author, H. G. Wells is considered one of the founders of steampunk but the thing is, it wasn't in the past when he wrote it... so for him it was more like Doctor Who is for us. (am I making sense?) It is still considered steampunk, but kind of in it's own classification, as for us steampunk is historical sci-fi (with steam!).
Technically the latest Sherlock Holmes film was steampunk Smile it had futuristic technology and was based in the Edwardian/Victorian time period!

@Warboss Kurgan, you forgot obscene amounts of clockwork! Such as this Comic by Kate Beaton shows Smile

--Ironfoundersson

**Forgot to say, the other major steampunk writer is Jules Verne.
Back to top Go down
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 16:36

Ah yes I get you Iron (made sense when you put in Doctor Who) nice comic aswell, ill get around to modeling them in a couple of hours, shall post them later today. Also going to start painting them, need a good simplistic way of painting flesh. All suggestions welcome Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 16:48

Agreed...from his perspective H.G.Wells stuff is SciFi. The Martian Tripod War Machines are pretty steampunkish. Jules Verne's Nautilus from 20,000 Leagues Beneath The Sea is VERY steampunky.
On war game history: when written H.G.Wells, being an avid pacifist, suggested that a Temple of War be built where all the Generals & warmonger politicians would be incarcerated to play endless war games while the rest of us got on with an untroubled life. AND R.L.Stevenson had a series of articles written about war games played with his stepson. We've got some pretty impressive Founding Fathers there. Magic - Science and Magic Fresse
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 17:01

The fun thing about Steampunk is that (once the term was invented) a lot of old sci-fi was suddenly re-classified as Steampunk!

I'm a big fan of the genre though - I've even got my girlfriend, while clothes shopping, saying things like "I like this belt, it's a bit steampunk" cheers
Back to top Go down
Figgy
Elder
Elder
Figgy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 17:30

Steampunk = My most favorite genre EVAH.

Great idea on this warband, and reaper has some KILLER steampunk minis.
Back to top Go down
Ironfoundersson
Hero
Hero
Ironfoundersson

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 17:38

Agreed! It's pretty sweet as a concept, and way more enjoyable for those of us (ahem, me) who aren't big fans of spaceships and aliens (and don't understand any of the science jargon).

I've always thought doing a steampunk Orc Warband would be fun. Either them or Dwarves. Both have the technology and eccentricity to conceivably do it.

--Ironfoundersson
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeFri 11 Jun 2010 - 17:43

For some additional ideas & minis: http://privateerpress.com/warmachine/gallery . Under the Mercenaries the Rhulic stuff is Dwarven in nature. Magic - Science and Magic Fresse

AND for some wild looking scenery: http://armorcast.com/store/index.php?cPath=119 . I picked up the Steam Mushroom & the Mushroom Observatory for some Night Goblin-Tech.
Back to top Go down
Zodiyum
Warrior
Warrior
Zodiyum

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010 - 6:36

Ive started to build a watch tower, its made of balsa wood and cardboard. It looks good, but very plain. Any wonderful idea's on how to SteamPunk it up a notch guys?
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010 - 12:32

I never quite looked into steampunk untill now and I have to say I quite like it! I have a question though: could 40k's Vostroyans be seen as steampunk?

as for the models: the puffy sleeves look very funny. At first I thought it was unrealisticly and ugly but after reading up on this steampunk I think they are quite cool and fit the scene very well! Can't wait to see them painted! (the whole model that is, not just the sleeves...)
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitimeSat 12 Jun 2010 - 16:01

@Zodiyum: I'd like to thank you for opening this thread; it caught me a THE PERFECT time...just finished the last of my commission work with no particular reason to take on more, more than a lifetime of minis stuffed in the closet, AND all sorts of strange ideas rambling around my enfeebled old brain...suddenly I find myself doing sketches & scribbling notes. I just hope we are not stealing your thread with all the Steampunk discussion.

Captain Bernhardt wrote:
I never quite looked into steampunk untill now and I have to say I quite like it! I have a question though: could 40k's Vostroyans be seen as steampunk?

as for the models: the puffy sleeves look very funny. At first I thought it was unrealisticly and ugly but after reading up on this steampunk I think they are quite cool and fit the scene very well! Can't wait to see them painted! (the whole model that is, not just the sleeves...)

I think the Vostroyans would make GREAT looking Steampunkers...a FINE idea. Magic - Science and Magic 544694
My take on Steampunking Mordheim/War Hammer is to do it as an alternate history: i.e., mix the Industrial Revolutions steam powered, clockwork technology & drop it into the Renaissance with all its flashy costumes, folklore, & superstition...the Inquisition was a product of the Renaissance.
For some TRUE Victorian style Steampunk, check out Smart Max's S.M.O.G. range/game: http://www.coolminiornot.com/shop/miniatures/smart-max . These are 54mm minis; I think they're BEAUTIFUL, if somewhat impractical...that combo appeals to moi.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Science and Magic   Magic - Science and Magic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Science and Magic
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next