Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Greatweapons & Pistols

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Empty
PostSubject: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 6:52

Sooo... I thought I should ask you guys, as I have a game coming up in a couple of hours.

My leader has a Doublehanded Weapon and a Duelling Pistol, along with the skill Strongman.

Should he be able to fire his pistol into H-t-H combat as per the rules, before he draws his DBH-weapon? If we say he fires as he charges, then yes, IMO. In close combat, it count count as he is only holding the DBHweapon first, then putting aside the pistol and grabbing it with both hands.

Thoughts on this?

Side question: Cant find in the rulebook, but do you use BS or WS when firing a pistol into Close Combat. I Think it says with the crossbow pistol, but not the blackpowder weapons.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 8:15

He should *not* be allowed to fire it because pistols are used as another close combat weapon during the normal phase of close combat, rather than fired before engaging.

He *would* however, be able to fire a crossbow pistol and then fight with a DHW because that *is* before close-combat starts. He would also be able to fight with just a pistol in the first round and then with the DHW in the second round. If he had pistoleer he could fight with two pistols in the first round and then the DHW in the second round.

In close combat you use WS to hit with. You use BS with a crossbow pistol because it is not used in close combat per se, but rather is fired just before close combat is started.

Incidentally, this is why you can parry a pistol shot in close combat - it is during close combat proper so the arm or barrel is pushed out of the way rather than the bullet itself being blocked or knocked aside.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 8:44

I see. However, if I just give him a second pistol, I can fire both of them in the first turn of combat. The rules states that, and there is no mention of having to have the pistolier skill to be able to fire both in h-t-h combat.

Thanks for the answer. Ill aim tog et some more pistols and pistolier anyway Smile
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 14:29

Silly me, nor you do need Pistolier to fire with both in close combat - only shooting.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 15:06

Okay, glad I got that one right at least Wink

Anyhow, my buds screw me over this time, so no game is being played today after all, but thanks for the advice, its good to know for future games.
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 15:16

I equip my orc leader with a DHW and a pistol because that is what he came modeled with. He tends to use his sword and shield and crossbow more often though. Well, until he can save up and exchange the crossbow for a hunting rifle anyway.

I think I am having the most fun with my orcs than I have had with any other warband with the possible exception of the wizard warband I made years ago with spells based on the old spell cards that came printed on cardboard. Fourth ed? Maybe third ed? I forget. Things like Purple Sun of Xereus and so forth.

Perhaps you can have a few virtual RAW monster hunts to earn some xp and money while your friends aren't available?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 15:43

Ha ha, naw, cant interrupt the campaign, as it is scripted.

The thing that sucks, though, is that this was the last chance for any of us to play until autumn! I am going to my home town to work over the summer, so is they, and I cant bring any models or paint or nothing. Which sucks Razz

I will still be on Toms Boring daily though Wink
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 15:46

Not even a few paints and some models? Where are you going? I am popping over to Paulsboro in a few weeks and I will be taking my orcs and some paints and I am starting from New Zealand. Where are you going that doesn't allow paints? Or is it the models that are banned?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeSun 6 Jun 2010 - 17:55

Its more like this:
I live in a city about 300 kilometres form the town to which im going. Im travelling there with my girlfriend and my cat. We go by train. I'll bring clothes for two months. During this time (june to august) i will stay at my parents hosue, and work at a bookbinding factory nearby. I will work pretty much 6 days a week, triple shifts, and will be pretty beat. Not only that, but I wont be able to see my gf (or cat) more than at most three times a month, due to all work (gotta make dough Smile ). All this adds up to the fact that:
I will have no room to take anything with me in the ways of modelling or painting.
I will not have time to model or paint anything either.

But hey, in august, ill be able to buy heaps of new cool models (i have been thinking about starting to play some WH 40k, Eldar) Very Happy

But, as I said, I will still ave access to a computer and can be present here all summer long Smile
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 0:15

Lord 0 wrote:
He should *not* be allowed to fire it because pistols are used as another close combat weapon during the normal phase of close combat, rather than fired before engaging.

He *would* however, be able to fire a crossbow pistol and then fight with a DHW because that *is* before close-combat starts. He would also be able to fight with just a pistol in the first round and then with the DHW in the second round. If he had pistoleer he could fight with two pistols in the first round and then the DHW in the second round.

I agree. The pistol is used in the first round of CC but the warrior can swap to the DHW in the second and subsequent rounds of CC. The pistol is not used as a club.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 5:38

Then I just get him a brace, fires both the first round, then gets out the greatweapon the second round Smile
Back to top Go down
Skavenslayer
General
General
Skavenslayer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 9:47

If you only got one pistol, you can use it with your free dagger first round, then in the second draw the 2hander.

One of my favorite (and expensive) ways to arm a dwarf is with 2xPistols and a 2 hander. Since a dwarf will strike last most times there is no need to "waste" a skille on strongman, and if you get the charge you got 2 S4 hits.

-Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 9:52

Skavenslayer wrote:
If you only got one pistol, you can use it with your free dagger first round, then in the second draw the 2hander.
I don't think this is accurate because, when it comes time to draw the DHW, he will be unable to put away the free dagger. To the best of my knowledge, only pistols let you put them away after the first round to draw something else - the free dagger does not.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 10:13

Lord 0 wrote:
Skavenslayer wrote:
I don't think this is accurate because, when it comes time to draw the DHW, he will be unable to put away the free dagger. To the best of my knowledge, only pistols let you put them away after the first round to draw something else - the free dagger does not.

Yeah, I agree, I think that is the correct interpretation of the rules.
Back to top Go down
Skavenslayer
General
General
Skavenslayer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 11:18

Hmmm.... now that you got me thinking about it, you probaly right, my bad Very Happy

-Skavenslayer
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitimeMon 7 Jun 2010 - 14:56

Years ago in some interview with Pirinen (sp? - the author of the rules) - someone asked him about switching weapons in melee. He said he thought it was reasonable, but you couldn't switch back until after the melee because basically you simply dropped the original weapon. It wasn't a rule change, just a comment he made - but generally we do use it as a house rule. (I don't have a print out of that interview any more, but I still remember the question about fighting with two spears, which under the rules at that time was legal...).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Greatweapons & Pistols   pistols - Greatweapons & Pistols Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Greatweapons & Pistols
Page 1 of 1