Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Popmouth's House Rules

Go down 
+7
RationalLemming
Tzapquiel
wyldhunt
shotguncoffee
mweaver
Asp
Popmouth
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites
Achievements earned: none

rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 15:54

yes, the axe might become a problem. It might be an idea (and I'm aware of the Coreheim rules for axes) to make the two-handed weapons (flail, DHW) the main options to negate any armour.

How will the club be discourage?
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010 - 2:32

The club is discouraged by the fact that it is no longer the cheapest weapon at 8 gc. Meatshields are pretty much always given the cheapest weapon option (well, except the dagger).
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010 - 3:28

Lord 0 wrote:
Well, DW will certainly be discouraged from henchmen with the fee. I think, though, making the cheapest weapon the Axe will discourage people taking the shield as an offhand.

If the cheapest weapon you can buy for a meat-shield is the axe then the proliferation of axes is going to make lower levels of armour less attractive for everyone, particularly Toughened leathers, light armour, bucklers, and shields with no other armour.

Most meat shield henchmen have a S3 attack though and a Shield in CC gives a 5+ Armour Save which is still a 6+ Armour Save after Cutting Edge has been applied. Shields may not be totally useless but I agree that Light Armour would never be worthwhile in the current system.

Perhaps the solution is similar to what others have done and up the price of Maces and Hammers with Concussion to 8gc as in your current house rules but keep Clubs at 3gc and remove Concussion so that they are effectively a cheap, basic weapon with no special rules (after all it is just a block of wood). Therefore the cheapest weapon for meat shields is once again the Club (only without Concussion now).

Of course, all warband listings currently with access to Clubs, Maces or Hammers would need access to all three in this system now that they have separate rules to ensure that this change does not accidentally indirectly unbalanced one warband over another.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010 - 10:26

Well light armour in combination with shield for heroes can be quite neat for a 4+ save...

Yes, keeping the club at the same price without the concussion could be a good idea.
One could also use the -1S to dagger, and add a +1 to enemy AS for the club. That seems fair for a 3GC wooden stick...
Back to top Go down
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 0:33

I would definitely not give -1S to a dagger attack. What you would be doing is saying that it is easier to would with a piece of wood over a sharp piece of metal. +1 AS makes sense as clothing or weak (non-equated) armour like quilted that would be worn by many models does have a chance to block the slash. However, a dagger is still a VERY deadly weapon, make no mistake. I would not want to see daggers be the same as unarmed combat.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/siliconsicilian/sets/72157623710783
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 1:23

SiliconSicilian wrote:
I would definitely not give -1S to a dagger attack. What you would be doing is saying that it is easier to would with a piece of wood over a sharp piece of metal. +1 AS makes sense as clothing or weak (non-equated) armour like quilted that would be worn by many models does have a chance to block the slash. However, a dagger is still a VERY deadly weapon, make no mistake. I would not want to see daggers be the same as unarmed combat.

I've always felt they had clubs and daggers backwards - after all, all it takes to get a club is to break the leg off of a chair or table or the branch off a tree - daggers would be a bit more difficult to find/make. I admit that random bits of wood do not make a high-quality club, but it can be used to beat somebody. +1 AS also seemed like it would be more applicable to clubs than daggers.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 2:47

SiliconSicilian wrote:

I think that -1S to dagger attacks does make sense. Daggers are small so while they can still be deadly I think there is justification to say that it is hard for a warrior to get their full strength into an attack with a dagger. Also, on the other end of the scale there is +1S or +2S for big weapon so a -1S for a small, bladed weapon could make sense. Wyldhunt has taken this route with daggers also.

@Popmouth... what you say could work. Hopefully your play testing goes well and you can come back with some feedback from game play.
Back to top Go down
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 4:39

As I said, that is like saying that a dagger is an expensive bare hand. If you want to give a dagger -1 to injury rolls, that sounds reasonable. But, a dagger is very easy to wound someone with, and most wounds would end in death or serious trauma. Getting all your strength behind a dagger blow is not needed, but is easy. Strength in Mordheim is used as a determining factor as to how easy it is to wound your opponent.
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 9:05

Is it a to bad restriction to give the dagger a "strike last" rule instead? It seems quite reasonable, since most times you would have to dodge a blow before you get in close enough!
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 9:32

Popmouth wrote:
Is it a to bad restriction to give the dagger a "strike last" rule instead? It seems quite reasonable, since most times you would have to dodge a blow before you get in close enough!

Only in the first round of combat, in that case. Afterwards, the combattants respective Initiative should settle any "close enough" issues.
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 11:21

Yeah, that seems reasonable.
So if you have a sword and a daggar and charge, your sword would attack first, then opponent strikes and finally you can use your dagger.
This seems to fit fine with fluff to me. In kendo (which I train with 2 Dan) if you go nito (two swords, one short and one long) you usually use the long to strike first and distract the opponent, then you make your second strike with the smaller.

––––––––––––––––––
So this is what our House rules looks right now:

House rules

Dual Wield– Costs 15g to learn how to DW, anyone who can bare melee-weapons may train in DW. If a model without the skills carries two weapons, he [/b]must choose which he is striking with before he rolls.
Shield – shield gives an aditional +1 for a 5+ save in close combat.,
Buckler – gives 6+.
Hand gun – Gives in addition +1 to injury roll.
Climbing – May be done in the mid of a run/walk (still no running while climbing).
Spears – Always strikes first, first round of combat
Club – cost 3g no concussion +1 to enemy AS
Mace/Hammer – Cost 8g
Dagger – Remove the + to armor save. Instead strikes last in the first round of combat (against others who have the strike last rule, i.e. Two handed Weapons the initative resolves who strikes first).
Critical hit – no chart, always double wounds, armour saves alowed,
Back to top Go down
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 23 Apr 2010 - 2:21

Progression!
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Apr 2010 - 10:46

Tell us how it goes after a few games! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Apr 2010 - 11:00

I will...
Hopefully I can get some friends together and get everyone to start from scratch, that way we can get the best out of it...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Popmouth's House Rules   rules - Popmouth's House Rules - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Popmouth's House Rules
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2