Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..

Go down 
+2
Admin Tom
Boehm
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: None

The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Empty
PostSubject: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2007 - 10:22

Hi guys,
since I enjoy reading about other peoples exploits in Mordheim I though I would try to give an account of my very first game / campaign of Mordheim !

Since we dont have the exact campaing rules flashed out I cant give you any major details exept that we plan to start for "real" next week ...experienced bands with up to four games under their belt are allowed to join ...and we should number arround 10 players.

For my very first introduction to Mordheim I have choosen a Dwarf Treasure Hunter warband ...(just got to love those spc. racial advantages such as only TOA on a 6, and no bashing from clubs etc.).

After careful reading of various guides to tactics and warband design, many of which seem to be slightly out of date due to rules-review, I have choosen the following composition of my starting warband:

Noble w. helmet, hammer, 1 pistol
2 x Slayers w. 1 x hammer each
Engineer w. helmet and crossbow

3 x 1 (each in own group) Beardling w. hammer
1 Clansman w. hammer
1 Thunderer w. crossbow and hammer
= 499 gc

...and then onwards to the first game, glory and TREASURE ! yah!!

claus

Last edited by on Mon 24 Sep 2007 - 12:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeMon 24 Sep 2007 - 10:42

1ST GAME

Opponent: Skavens
Interesting enough my opponent had choosen not to have his wizard from the start ...and only 10 figures incl. 2 giant rats. Instead he had spent his extra cash on "fancy" equipment such as fighting claws and a warplock pistol.

This actually meant that my dwarven band had a higher rating than his ...I wonder how often you see that!!

Scenario: Occupy
Whoever controls most of (d3+2) the in our case 4 objective buildings at the end of turn 8 wins ...or if opponent routs.

Figuring that the best strategy vs. the fast and furious skavens would be to keep all my guys within mutual support range and not entirely trusting the climbing abilities of my little fellas ...I decided to forego the high ground (we had a couple of 3story buildings with no ladders/stairs) and set up my thunderer and engineer so they both had good fields of fire which hopefully would atleast slow the skavens down a bit forcing him to run from shelter to shelter.

Skavens moved first, initially advancing from shelter to shelter with the exception of his 2 giant rats which he threw forward allowing me a shot with my engineer which missed (cover -1) ...I was advancing steadily towards the center of the table with a screen of beardlings in front ...leapfrogging my thunderer and engineer forward (both w. crossbows) ... in turn 2 my thunderer managed to take out a giant rat ...then the skavens ran up and peppled my stunties with stones (6 shots) knocking over a beardling ...thunderer and engineer then both took out a skaven...while my noble managed to knock over another with his pistol ...Skavens then charged knocking over and stunning a bearling and a clansman ...my countercharge then almost resulted in getting myself beat up ...until then I had rolled quite well shooting (5 shots = 3 TOA and 1 knocked over) but my h2h rolls were awful ...nevertheless charging his assassin with my noble and a slayer I was able to take him out ...while a beardling managed to stumble over his own feet knocking himself over ....lucky for me (or atleast the knocked over beardling who was about to find himself at the recieving end of nasty skavens) the skaven player then failed his rout test ...(ld 6)

-> First win!! Very Happy

my enginner thus earned 2 xp ...and managed to roll a skill advance ...sooooo the difficult choice now is should I make the safe pick of choosing Quickshot...OR think more strategic - longterm and pick Resourcehunter ...(allowing +/-1 modifier to exploration roll). ...Im kind of leaning towards Resourcehunter...in a bit to try to get the ball rolling maximizing profits ...so I can buy more booster-trinkets such as Wyrdstone Pendulom Tarot Cards etc....

What would you guys recommend?

EIDT: ...I ended up taking Resource Hunter, which I have yet to regret ... Smile

Last edited by on Fri 28 Sep 2007 - 22:05; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2007 - 8:46

Hi Claus!

Very well written (as usual) and interesting battle report! Congrats on your first victory! :bball:
Sounds like your oponent made the same mistake as I did with skaven and rushed you too soon...

Anyways, concerning the skill to pick I personally would tend towards Quickshot. That beeing mainly because I want "bangs for my bucks" Smile I want my warrior to kick ass as soon as he has the appropriate boots for it. I want to roll 2 dice instead of one, I want to sprint TRIPLE distance instead of double, I want the XXL Whopper menu with fries instead of the Kidsmeal... But that's just me geek

I like quick, immediate results for my upgrades. However I can see the utiliy of investing in skills that bring you more money in due time. On the other hand: don't dwarfs automatically gain one Wyrdstone shard in every exploration phase? Will money REALLY be an issue in the future?

Questions to ponder carefully. A very hard decision that might take time...

PICK QUICKSHOT! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeTue 25 Sep 2007 - 13:06

@Tom

while I agree that quickshot will definately give me some bang for the bucks ...It should be noted that we screwed up on the after-battle sequence a bit and rolled exploration before xp-advancetment I was graciously allowed to decide which skill to take AFTER having seen my exploration roll of ... 2,3,3,4,6 = 18 ...sooo taking resourcehunter would allow me to make the double 33 ...into a 333 ...thus allowing me do recruit a hencman for free (such as a 40gc Thunderer or Clansman) ...and yes while in the longterm the +/-1 doesnt effect the amount of wyrdstone too much ...it greatly improves the chance to hit some of the nicer double-combinations ....AFAI can see the double combinations has a huge variability in how usefull they are ...ei. 555 = 2d6 gc ...where as a 333 = free hencman (40gc) + 2d6 gc ...ability to manipulate these results should have a not insignificant economic impact!

Further ..yes Dwarves get +1 wyrdstone...but I do also believe that one of the dwarves advantages is that pretty much all their models has access to some pretty good equipment ei. armor and crossbows/pistols ....and ofcause this is more of an advantage the more money you have ....(atleast thats my reasoning).

Another note ...would also be that I do believe that if I should EVER pick Resource Hunter ...then it would make most sence in the beginning when the acumulated wealth of the warbands are least ....Ofcause if I dont pick Quickshoot now ...then it would definately be my next pick ...

Finally considering hired swords ...in some respect I guess that it would make sence to not hire any until I hit my warband ceiling ...However again thinking in terms of cash Im seriously considering hiring an Arabian Merchant (20gc) for his trading ability ...and a Dwarf Pathfinder ...both for his fighting potential ....but more importantly for his exploration bonus +1d ...then discard 1d after having seen roll ....also both of these hired swords could then when they gain thier firs skill get wyrdstone hunter and resourcehunter respectively... thus roughly payng their own upkeep!

Claus

Ps: about the Merchant I think we will dispose of his "insane" marketeer ability ...perhaps substituting it with streetwise or something like that .... EDIT: we ended up just deleing the marketeer ability ...the merchant is good enough already!

Last edited by on Thu 27 Sep 2007 - 15:10; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Sep 2007 - 15:08

2ND GAME

Opponent:
Ors & Goblins (Yeah ...we HATE them - eh I mean my dwarfs do!)

My opponent had a band of 9 models (vs. my 10 dwarfs + an arabian merchant), of which 2 were Goblin "fanatics" (is it just me or are they a bit expensive to use since they always has to roll for injuries after the fight?)
and no shooters ....His shaman had the spell whereby he could knock a model 1d6 backwards into another model so they both take a hit.

Scenario: Skirmish ...

Given my opponents lack of shooting ability I did my best to place as many buildings on the edges leaving the middle relative open ...

In my setup I this time tried to place my 3 crossbow guys w. one i each corner and my engineer up in a 3 story building rougly in the middle of my side of the table ...this gave me good avenues of shooting and the first couple of rounds I hit him again and again scooring several crits but with no more serious injuries to his band than knockdown and one guy stunned ...which ofcause delayed him a bit but otherwise caused him no problems since he just waited his charge to let them catch up ....However it probably did cause him some concern which in the end prompted him to lauch his 2 ball n chain a bit prematurely with the result that both of them failed to connect to my line of dwarfs.

Previously his shaman had used his knockback spell to push a beardling of mine into my Noble which resulted in the beardling being stunned...this prompted me to position my guys on a straight line so he couldnt do the same trick again unless the shaman managed to flank me ....which he couldnt.

Anyway, his gobbos races forward swinging their big ball'n chains stopping just short of my position giving me a nice opportunity to charge them with two guys each taking them both out ...he then countercharged w. 3 orcs using two handed weapons ...which was a big mistake since it allowed my dwarfs to strike first ...stunning/knocking two of them leaving just one orc which failed his tohit ...combat was then settled with my chance to once again countercharge pitting a dwarf slayer against each of his prone orcs while my noble and 2 beardlings charged 3rd orc still locked in closecombat - Now at this moment I pretty much expected him to voluntary rout when given a chance ...so instead of charging his Shaman with my 2 remaining henchmen ...I opted to let my engineer have a shot at taking him out with his crossbow in a bit to earn a xp.
My combat rolls this round was however abysmal both slayers failed to take out their prone opponents inspite of them using 2 weapon combo. - In spite of this when round was done my opponent was down 2 orcs + his 2 goblin "fanatics" ...and he choose to do a voluntary rout.

In retrospect it was mistake to spread out my shooters ...I didnt end up needing them, but they should not strayed further away than to be within supporting distance of the main action ....after all a dwarven thunderer is ok at shooting, but even better in H2H. Nevertheless...

Final Score: Dwarfs 0 TOA ....Orcs & Goblins 4 TOA ...

Now this is where it got really interesting for me ...xp ...My 5 hencmen groups and both slayers both got to roll for stat/skill increase ...Great was my joy when both my 2 thunderes, my clansman and one of my slayers got +1 Ld ...and NONE of my henchmen groups managed to produce a "Lad's Got Talent"....I did however manage to find a brace of duelling pistols (which I cant use ...but I can sell with the help of my Arabian Merchant).

Any comments on my playstyle, warband tactics or whatever would be appreciated ....would atleast show that somebody actually read this ?!
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeThu 27 Sep 2007 - 22:34

EDIT
@Tom "And Boehm... your posts ARE intersting" ...Ok then ! Wink

Last edited by on Fri 28 Sep 2007 - 14:54; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeFri 28 Sep 2007 - 12:48

LOL! Very Happy

"if anybody actually read these posts ...please post weather or not u actually find them interesting or not ?"

OF COURSE we read what you post my dear Boehm. I have just moved to England for a year and won't be having internet before 3 weeks. I'll try to come to the forum as often as I can and reply as much as I can but it is really hard for me atm.

Hope you guys can understand that and sorry for my long absence.

And Boehm... your posts ARE intersting Smile

Be writing again soon,
Take care everyone,
Tom
Back to top Go down
http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeFri 28 Sep 2007 - 14:54

3rd GAME

Opponent: - The all shooty Shadow Elves ...

My opponent had a band of 8 models, all with Longbows or Elven Bows ...his wizard quickshoot ...and some damage spell which he didnt use.

Scenario - Defend the Find

Since my opponent had 8 vs. my 11 models he was to be the defender setting up within 6'' of a central rectangular 2-lvl objective building (incl. a ladder). Setting up the terrain I managed to set up a couple of houses in such a manner as to allow me approach within 6'' of the objective using the "hiding" rule (however the ladder was in the other end of the building a further 8'' or so away) ...On each side of the objective building another 2lvl-ruin (no ladders) was situated ....My opponent setting up first choose to place 5 guys incl. his wizard on the top floor of the objective building w. the other two buildings occupied by one model each ...and one henchman shooter on the ground.

Now it was my turn to setup and in retrospect ...(Given victory condition of the scenario:)

If at the end of the defenders turn, the attacker has more standing models within 6'' of the objective than the defender, the attacker wins ...

....I should probably just have setup all my models so they could sneak up using cover/hiding and have made one big rush ....However at the time I thought it would be embarrasing to skulk about as if cowed in fear of the skinny buggers ....so untilizing the fact that I as attacker would go first ...I choose to setup my engineer and 2 thunderers all w. crossbows so they could engage in a duel with an Elven hero or sorts with Bs 6 and Elven Bow ...the rest of my merry band I placed behind the previosly mentioned screen of buildings from where they could sneak up close to the objective.

1st Turn: "opening barrage!"
My shooters manage to hit his opulent elf lordship twice ... w. the first hit "luckily" bouncing off his lucky charm ...and the second hit knocking him to the ground ...quite literally since he failed his Ini-test and fell down ...where he however managed to land on his feet (no wound). Meanwhile the rest of my gang ran forward to get in behind the screen of houses....allowing the elf just one shot through "a window across a street though a doorway" which failed ...

2nd - 3rd Turn: "shooty dual and careful advance"
My shooters engaged in a furious shooting dual with his lordship (bs6 guy), his wizard with quickshoot and another elven shooter ...a lot of shots back and forth ...in general I managed to miss my to hit ...and he either missed his to-wound or only got a knockdown ...Our little shooting dual finally drew to an end due to both my dwarves and his lordships attempts at maneuvering into cover...and due to the encroachment of the rest of my band on the positions of his other skinny buggers ...(elven wizard and other shooter would rather shoot at the more "immediate threat").

As indicated above, the rest of my band ...consisting of my Noble, 2 Slayers, 3 Beardlings, 1 Clansman and finaly an Arabian Merchant ...spend 2nd turn cautionsly moving forward towards doorways and corners careful to stay in hiding ....3rd turn then saw them heroically run forward ...charging one Beardling up close to the wall of the building just next to objective building ...hoping that not too many elves could see him - No need to worry, all the skinny buggers seemed much more worried about the 7 guys approaching the objective ...luckily only 3-4 of them could get actual line of sight ...stunning a beardling ...

4th turn:
As mentioned before our shooty dual had come to an end with the wizard and his sidekick rushing off to worry about my advancing Noble and his friends ...while his Shooty Lordship Elf ...had choosen the safer side of valour and retreated-forward towards my men but out of sight ....My shooters then opted to storm forward towards the objective and incidentially also within charge range of his Lordship ... in the belief that even the elves can only shooot THAT MUCH ? (Eh Right??)

Meanwhile ...the lone beardling sneaking up on the non-objective building ...could hear a scuffling of skinny buggers both on the first floor and somewhere behind a wall on the ground floor ...quickly taking a swig from his mothers brandy, and picking up his warhammer ...he charged arround the corner trusting his acute sence of hearing (Ini 2) ...to lead his charge on mark ! ...Charging around a corner and through a doorway he reached an elf just shy of 4'' away ...managing to take him out !!

While this went on ...My Noble with friends stoically advanced towards the ladder ...reaching the base of it ...finding them now in the open with lines of fire open to all the elves!

5th - final turn ...
Miraculous enough, his elven lordship facing off my 2 thunderes and engineer had opted not to move ...but just shoot ...obviously hitting with his Bs 6, but failing to wound ...Allowing me to charge him with all three models ...taking him out with my engineer!
(On his injury roll, he was sold to the pits ...got beat up by the pit fighter ...then rolled hate vs. the specific model ...so now he hates the pitfighter in Cutthroat Den ! *g*)

On the center-stage ...the skinny buggers had showered a barrage ..well 6...shots onto my dear stunties ...stunning another beardling and knocking over a Slayer ...Thus not slowing my advance in any way ...4 models stormed up the ladder to "carve out a bridgehead" on the first floor ....(just shy of being able to charge)... - meanwhile below the neighboring building, my enterprizing beardling fixed his gaze on another elf ...which he promtly charged and stunned ...

Thus at the end of the round my opponent was down 2 models ...with one more stunned at at the mercy of one of my beardlings ...My worthy opponent once again showed why nature has gifted the skinny buggers with long legs (high M) as he choose to high-tail it ...doing a voluntary rout ....

RESULT - Dwarves 0 TOA - Shadow Warriors 2 TOA (Voluntary Rout)

With the xp from this scenario ...and the success of 3 won scenarios filling the chests of my bandmembers ...feeling like nothing can scare them now ....my Arabian Merchant got his +1 Ld increase ! (Sigh!!!)

Edit: should anyone find it of interest I could try to take a pic or two during the game to go along with these AARs ....??
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeSat 29 Sep 2007 - 10:37

Wow cool battle! I wish I could get these lazy guys here to play a battle, but they always say they have no time, or there warband is not painted... Mad

I would like it very much to see some nice pics Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeTue 2 Oct 2007 - 21:30

So tomorrow Im sceduled to play again ...well our campaign is about to begin so I need to rake up one more game before Im ready to join AND then play the first game of the campaign ....

If I should just rehearse teh status of my merry band here after 3 won games its ...

HEROES
1 Noble w. 7 xp gained = 2 new skills = Blade Master & Weapons Expert
Equipment: 2 Dw Axes, Helmet, Pistol and Shield

1 Engineer w. 5 xp gained = 1 skill "Resource Hunter" & +1 A
Equipment: Helmet, Crossbow, Hammer and a Wyrdstone Pendulum

1 Slayer w. 5 xp gained = +1 Ws
Equipent: Hammer

1 Slayer w. 4 xp gained = +1 Ld
Equipment: Hammer and a set of Tarot Cards

HENCHMEN
1 Beardling w. 3 xp = +1 A
Equipment: Hammer and Shield (normally uses hammer and dagger for H2H)

1 Beardling w. 3 xp = +1 S
Equipment: Hammer

1 Beardling w. 3 xp = +1 A
Equipment: Hammer and Shield (ditto)

2 Thunderes w. 3 xp = +1 Ld
Equipment: Crossbow, Helmet, Hammer

1 Clansman w. 3 xp = +1 Ld
Equipment: Hammer and Shield

HIRED SWORDs
Arabian Merchant w. 2 xp = +1 Ld

STASH
10 pieces of Wyrdstone ...saved 1 from last game, modified 25 on exploration in last game + 1 free for being dwarf ...+ 3 from scenario "defend the find" ...
1 Duelling Pistol

So before next game I have some shopping to do ...I plan on selling 7 wyrdstones to get 110 gc (selling an extra would only net me 10 gc - then I consider its better to save for a rainy day ) Since my Noble just got weapon expert Im obviously planning to get him a crossbow ...and also planning to get him a blunderbuss though I might wait with that a game or two ....
Otherwise Im planning to get some more helmets, see if I can lay my hands on a couple of Lucky Charms, upgrade a few weapons a bit ...and probably another Thunderer in a group of his own to max my chances of getting a couple of heroes when both my new guy and the existing guys hit the next xp thresshold after 2 and 5 games respectively (so should happen after my two games tomorrow!)

Anyway - I will let you know what I came up with ...Oh and my exploration managed to net me the opportunity to land myself a 666 a free Hired Sword ...obviously the Ogre would be good with its hirefee of 80gc ...but I really dont need it yet ...and I dont want to get too high a rating handing out too many "free" xp to my opponents ...so I think as of now I will just go for the Witch ...hoping she gets "scry" (what a kickass spell - which can help me boost my heroes so they gain the "kills" and thus xp instead of the witch ...which would not get kill-xp )

see ya
Claus
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeThu 4 Oct 2007 - 17:12

4th GAME - Teaser...

Opponent: A mercenary band from Averland

Scenario: Skirmish - also known as Blunderbuss Mayhem...

Teaser - a total of 8 models were TOA ...w. only one due to H2H
(dammit why couldnt my clanman have made his armour save ...its soo embarresing to be TOA by a halfling with a knife !)

Last edited by on Thu 4 Oct 2007 - 22:27; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tortiou
Warlord
Warlord
Tortiou

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeThu 4 Oct 2007 - 17:24

lol

I wanna know what happened! Tell us all about it!

(and post some pics if you can, pleaaase!!)
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeThu 4 Oct 2007 - 20:00

Don't tell us your dwarves got beaten up Shocked
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeThu 4 Oct 2007 - 22:37

4th GAME - here goes ...

...So sorry in the exitement of the game I forgot to take any pictures Embarassed ...and only realised after I got home ...sorry will try to redeem myself next week ...

However I have gotten permission to post Dugan’s own Map which was hastily sketched during the battle ….

Opponent: - A mercenary band from Averland

For this round I managed to setup a game vs. the other "most powerful band"...

My opponent had the most awful shooting band ...that is awful in the sense that all his guys had either bows, crossbows or longbows + a total of 4 blunderbuss' - also in the most unfair fashion he had managed to net himself 6 heroes vs. my pitiful 4...(he had also played one game more than me). - sadly I dont recall the exact makeup of his band besides the fact that several of his shooters had Bs 5 and his Bergjaegers had hunting arrows (also known as totally "unfair" anti-dwarf arrows)

All in all his band numbered 12 models w. a rating of just below 150 …vs. mine of 13 models incl. a Witch and a Merchant hired sword.

Scenario: Skirmish - also known as Blunderbuss Mayhem...

The Averlanders won the toss up and choose to setup first picking the northern edge – placing most of his guys in the centre with a couple of strong shooters on the eastern flank and his most closecombat orientated guys on the westflank.

Considering my tactic for the upcoming skirmish I was a bit at a loss what to do? – My opponent was very strong in shooting – had the initiative to allow him to climb buildings with a fair chance of avoiding falling to his doom should he be knocked down …AND the move to keep his distance from my shortlegged fellows…

I finally decided on a two-pronged advance: One consisting of 2 (S)layers, 2 (B)eardlings + the (t)hunderer (no crossbow) would advance towards the two 2-story buildings at the centre of the map …where they would hopefully be able to stay hidden and act as a strategic reserve. Meanwhile on the west-flank a (C)lanwarrior, (B)eardling, + (M)erchant would advance to the 3-story building which would then hopefully allow my engineer and noble to leapfrog forward (both with crossbows and noble also armed with a blunderbuss). Finally my two crossbow-armed (T)hunderers would provide cover from behind the trees.

The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Dugans13

1st Turn – The get go !

My stunties then got to go first – my thunderes taking up postions behind the trees while a slayer/beardling rushed forward moving to the east in a bid to stay out of sight… (black buildings impassable). On the west-flank my Noble, Engineer and witch hung back while the rest rushed forward all staying behind the building except a beardling who bravely rushed into the open to provide the averlanders with a “nearer” target than my engineer! –

The Averlanders then rushed forward – taking up postions inside/behind buildings in the centre and on the west-flank …while on the east-flank two shooters sought cover behind a low statue-“thingie”…

2nd Turn – Lucky Dice R US
Advancing towards the centre buildings while trying to stay out of sight (forcing a an earsten axis of advance) …while the western guys advanced towards the 3-story house while the remaining centre-guys hid behind the forward tree …Realising that the Averlanders covering behind the statue could shoot at my thunderer …I figured well atleast I can have first-shoot …and promptly hit them on longrange/cover on a 6 – scooring a ricochet TOA one guy and knocking the other down. (yeah!) With some pointers from our “wise-woman” aka the witch’s scry-spell my engineer then promptly sent another Averlander TOA (by the ladder-house).

Now it was the Averlanders time to respond in kind – but first he continued his advance …fast and furious on the western-flank: where he pushed 2-hth-guys (incl.1 blunderbuss) + halfling forward (Team Alpha) …and stumbling and raving on the eastern flank where his knocked down shooter managed to pick himself up and hide behind the statue. In the center another blunderbuss-armed h2h guy occupied the smaller-centre-building while a Bergsjaeger took to the top floor of the “ladder-building” promptly sending my Witch OOA with a well-aimed “unfair”-arrow …and his remaining guys moved forward in a western-direction… shooting a bit but without wounding…

3rd Turn – Team Alpha on the go!
Seing the Averlanders shift their main thrust towards the west …I realized the danger of having him teamup on my western guys with my eastern guys left out of the battle …I took the risk of rushing my 5 slayers/beardlings/thunderer out in the open to try to reach the two centre-most buildings …On the western-flank I was a bit unsure of what to do ? Should I regroup in cover of the hedges? Or continue forward …I choose the latter…advancing all my guys except my engineer forward into cover of the 3-story building. Repositioning one thunderer this left the other + the engineer shoot …and miss.

The Averlanders continued his push forward …propelling “Team Alpha” to a position just north of the same 3-story building that I was south off… - some shooting which AFAIR knocked down a beardling …

4th Turn – Blunderbuss Barrage
Having the creeping suspicion that the Averlanders and myself were taking cover on opposite sides of the same building my Clanman promptly trying his luck at locating them by hearing …(roll inititive to charge a guy you cant see)…failing this he strode 3’’ around the corner pulled out his gun and missed the shot …meanwhile my oh so brave’ Noble being very brave but also somewhat afraid of blunderbuss’ ran up to take cover behind the same corner from where the clanman came …Meanwhile the signal for general advance was given …with my non-crossbow guys rushing forward on a western-centre axis of advance ….my remaining crossbow guys then did their best to provide covering fire managing to stunned one of the western-Averlander-h2h-blunderbuss guys.

“Team Alpha” now found itself with one guy down and being rushed by 3 dwarves and an Arabian Merchant (muhahah) …choosing to avoid a general melee …he withdrew his now knocked down guy 2’’ west ..while charging my clanman with his h2hguy+Halfling promptly stunning him …after which the Halfling took him out with his butterknife!

Meanwhile elsewhere – I were to learn how efficient my checkerboard-positioing of my guys were (not very) …as they were blasted with 3 blunderbuss’ w. one hitting 3 stunties and the other 2 hitting 2 stunties each …luckily I got off relatively easy with only 1 model TOA and 1 knocked over. (I actually forgot I had lucky charms on my slayers but they didn’t get wounded anyway).

5th turn – Blunderbuss Payback …
Having witnessed the brave clanwarrior taken OOA by a HALFLING!! …my Noble strode forward and unleashed his blunderbuss striking the two culprits as well as another shooter at the extreme range of the gun…leaving all three models knocked down.

General advance was still the order of the day …with all guys except my thunderers running forward to try to rush the downed “Team Alpha”…my thunderers then managed to hit and TOOA his other h2h guy who had just off-loaded his blunderbuss…

The Averlanders feeling fear grow in their chests at seing 3 of 12 of their guys down …managed to keep their cool…with Team Alpha trying to extricate themselves from the furious dwarf rush (Dwarf RUSH yeah!) ….and his remaining shooters focusing his attention on taking out my merchant to prompt me to take a rout test …which they did.

6th Turn – Final kill ..
Well – the Averlanders are not the only one who can keep their cool …having just fired his blunderbuss Dugan himself (Noble) now pulled out his dwarf axes and charged knocking down the opposing h2h guy (captain or sergeant?)…leaving my engineer to get a shot at the Halfling …which was knocked down too. – meanwhile the rest of my stunties continued the “rush” …while my thunderers suddenly found an Averlander trying to flank them …and promptly send him OOA with a wellplaced bolt.

Aparantly this was the straw that broke the back of the Averlanders ...and he missed his rout test ...and thus yet another VICTORY FOR THE DWARVES!!!

RESULT - Dwarves 4 TOA vs. Averlanders 4 TOA

Post-battle - my non-crossbow thunderer abandoned my band while the rest got of with minor bruises ...exploration netted me a 2,3,4,5,5, - modified to 333 giving me a free thunderer +2d6 gc and 4+1 (being dwarf) wyrdstone !

Claus
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeFri 5 Oct 2007 - 19:36

Very nice battle report, as usuall cheers

Funny map!
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeSun 7 Oct 2007 - 22:36

@Erkwin - well thankyou ...- I have a really crappy paintprogram and am a hopeless amatuer ...the sad thing being that I actually tried to make it look as nice as possible ! clown
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeMon 8 Oct 2007 - 16:55

It might help if you could take a color, e.g. a light green for the ground, and some other for the terrain, grey for the houses, dark green for trees etc.
I think in many painting- programms you can fill words and phrases, instead of "painting" them.
Hope I can help you a bit with this, I think it would be really cool if you keep posting some maps of the battlefields Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeMon 8 Oct 2007 - 17:12

@Erkwin - yes I know ...its just that I first drew the map w. buildings and trees ...then when I wanted to put labels on I found that the paint program did not let me adjust the text boxes below a certain minimum size ...and that the "invisible" edges of the boxes overlapped covering up the buildings ...I thnk perhaps next time I make a map I will try to import it into word or something like that ...or perhaps remember to take photos Rolling Eyes

Anyway due to the crappy childlike quality-drawing ...it was then I decided to make some fun with it ...claiming it to be the quickly done handsketched map of my ever so brave leader ...Dugan !

Last edited by on Wed 10 Oct 2007 - 11:41; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeMon 8 Oct 2007 - 17:38

Photos would be great as well, but a map makes the game clearer in my opinion.

I just painted a map for fun, so I'll just post it if you don't mind.
The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Bild_110
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeWed 10 Oct 2007 - 11:36

5th Game - tonight !

Well I havent got a clue as to who I will be playing against ...However there should be a good chance that it will either be a possessed or a beastmen warband since I havent played against them yet !

Now, about pre-game trading ...last game netted me 5 wyrdstone which together with 2 stones from my stash will bring in 110gc when sold. From this I need to pay any retainment-fees for my hired swords. I will thus pay 15gc to keep my withch while I choose to let my Arabian Merchant go! Thus leaving me 95gc.

During my exploration phase I got a 333 allowing me to add a henchman to an excisting group for free + 2d6gc (which I havent rolled yet = but assuming a roll of = or > 5). I choose to add a thunderer (40gc) to my existing group of 2 (ld+1). In order to do this I need to equip him with a crossbow, shield, helmet and hammer = 43gc thus leaving me approx 57gc.

Next, I had a slayer gain a skill and picked the dwarven skill of "Master of Blades" - to utilize this skill he needs 2 dwarven axes (15gc / rare Cool which with 4 heroes looking, I should hopefully be able to find ...assuming I do thats another 30gc leaving me with 27gc.

Should I still have any heroes eligeble to search ...I will then try to find a Ithilmar Hammer for my Engineer who has gotten a +1Attack and +1Initiative (9gc / rare 9)

Finally I need to make up my mind weather or not to aquire the service of a halfling or human scout (hmmm perhaps I should just keep the Merchant?)...If I let the merchant go I am afterall down to only 12 models with 13 being so much better for rout-tests etc. ?

Edit: Ohh and I will try to remember to take a few pics this time ...
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeSun 14 Oct 2007 - 23:27

Hi guys, to those of you if any who were eagerly awaiting the next installment of my little Mordheim saga ...I appologize for having kept you waiting. The thing was just that the game was sooo boring ...ZZzzzzZZ

5th game - (shooting) Fish in a barrel

Opponent - Orcs and Goblins ...more yellow belly than GREEN!

Under the rules of our little campaign, I got challanged to a match by a (beginner) band of 5 orcs and 3 gobbos... with a lower rating than myself ...which I could not decline ...(unfortunately)

Scenario - Skirmish...

Having reinforced my band to 11 members + a witch ...of which 5 fielded crossbows and noticing my opponents lack of shooting ablity I setup my guys in the most open area decided to give my opponent an chance go and get me if he wanted to !

Realising unfortunatly that my band not only had a monopoly on shooting, if discounting his Fire of Gork-spell throwing shaman, together with the fact that he was outnumbered 12:8 and that man for man ...or rather dwarf for orc ...my guys were better in H2H than his quickly cooled his heels ...especially after round 2 where I opened up by TOA a goblin and a Orc with my Noble and Engineer ...declining a shot at another gobling with a hencman of mine ...loudly declaring that all kills should belong to my heroes!

Having seen 2 of his guys go OOA ...he then quickly started talking about voluntary rout until I was helpful and reminded him that an advantage of Orcs is that they dont consider goblins their equal ...and urged him to come forward and try his luck ...with only a 12'' or so of open ground between the building in which he was hiding and my line of crossbowmen Very Happy - well the bugger unfortunately had the sense to decline this and started running a gobbo forward ...my response then was to ingore it while trying to flank him with some stunties in a bid to draw his orcs into a general melee .... However that didnt pan out and I was soon forced to let my Noble give his couragous gobbo the coup de grace....after which he did a voluntary rout ! - and thus ended the exiting 5th game.

(I really had set my hopes up for a bit more of a challange ...and perhaps xps king )

Anyway ...in the aftermatch my cautious opponent managed to get all his guys of scotch free ...with his orc hero rolling a 66 for a +1xp on the serious injury chart! ...while I netted myself another modified 333 in the explorationphase - yah a 4th thunderer ! Advancement wise, this being my 5th game ...all my henchmen groups got advancement, likewise my witch, Noble, and a Slayer ...

Advancements gained so far

HENCHMEN
3 Thunderers: +1Ld, +1Bs
1 Clansman: +1Ld, +1S
1 Beardling +1S, +1Ini
1 Beardling +1A, +1Ini
1 Beardling: +1A, Lads Got Talen -> ...

HEROES
(Newly promoted) Beardling ...+1A, Skill: Master of Blades
Slayer: +1Ld, +1A
Slayer: +1Ws, Skill: Master of Blades
Engineer: Skill: Resource Hunter, +1A, +1Ini
Noble: Skill: Master of Blades and Weapons Expert, +1A

HIRED SWORDS
Witch: ...a skill ...havent decided yet ...but probably Haggle or Streetwise...

Anyway thats it for this time ...sorry no pics ...game was simply too borring ...

Last edited by on Sat 20 Oct 2007 - 10:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeMon 15 Oct 2007 - 14:40

Cool report, as usual.
But I think you should have a look at some equal opponents Wink
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeMon 15 Oct 2007 - 14:55

I would like that ...there are however two problems ...making it diffucult for me to gain opponents of equal strength ...

a) That the rules of our campaign allow low-rating bands to issue challenges first ...and they cannot be declined...

b) At this time ...my dwarves are probably the strongest of the bunch ...

note: my closest opposition due to their band/skill-of-the-player ...is probably:

1) the Avaerlanders which I fought in my 4th game,
2) a Possessed gang who started out with only 3 models, incl. a 300-something-gc Possessed model! His band has earned butloads of xp ...but still atm. has only 4 heroes + 2 beastmen henchman. (last game he played vs. an orc ...won his first game and took 13models OOA because opponent insisted on twrowing all his goblins piecemeal to the slaughter ...and refused to do a voluntary rout = butloads of xp incl. getting 3/model due to rating difference of >75pts.) - This band will be truly scary when its build up to >10 models ...by then I just hope to have stockpiled a bunch of dark venom and holy water!
3) A Beastman band, ...Which I really know nothing about except that its being played by a fairly competent player. - And that his centigor just had its arm chopped off! (Severe arm wound: injury roll of 23 follwed by a 1 ) Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Erkwin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Erkwin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeWed 17 Oct 2007 - 15:49

Where do you play?
In a gaming club or a local store?
Back to top Go down
Boehm
General
General
Boehm

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitimeFri 19 Oct 2007 - 10:38

@Erkwin - I recently joined a local club ....where they mostly play GW games and currently about 10 active Mordheim players.

Ohh and I managed to take 2 pics last game ...(sorry but I had a high fever and had to quit right after this game ...defaulting on a planned second game that night).

The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Dw_nob11
From my last game vs. an Orc and Goblin band ...- The grey buildings, the stream w. bridge as well as the rock formations and left-most forrest are all permanant fixtures of this gamingtable...

The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Dw_nob10
My merry band in action ...the "archers" represent dwarf thunderers ...(yikes - my models looks awfull in this pic....REALLY, they arent THAT bad)

...about What-you-see-is-what-you-get ...well obviously we arent too hung up on this...ei. at present I use human archers to represent my thunderers. I do this because I decided not to buy any more models until I had finished painting the ones I had ...which Im almost done with now! - my opponont used a bloodbowl team of orcs to represent his orcs ...and well "humans" to represent his goblins and cavesquics... Now before I get swamped (I wish) in posts filled with outrage at our flexible attitude regarding figures ...well in the club that I play in there are a lot of young guys who have never played the game before ...and where if we were to demand of them that they buy the correct figures ...they probably would not play the game ! (ofcause we do taunt them a bit ! ) Wink

Gamereport coming up ....

claus
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..   The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR.. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The adventures Dugans Daredevil Dungeneers - a Dwarven AAR..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next