Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Gunnery school of Nuln warbands

Go down 
+5
LeSquide
CygnusMaximus
folketsfiende
RationalLemming
Mordoten
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Mordoten
Warrior
Warrior
Mordoten

Trading Reputation : 0

Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Empty
PostSubject: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 9:45

As the topic states, are warband from the Gunnery school of Nuln playable or are they just to damn powerfull compared to the official warbands?

I like guns and this warband have lots of them. But i don't want to start a campaign with a broken warband...
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 12:06

As with most warbands I suspect that it probably comes down to who you to. We have used the Gunnery School of Nuln in my gaming group and had no problems with it. It is one of the warbands that I'm tossing up whether to play as my next warband.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Mordoten
Warrior
Warrior
Mordoten

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 13:40

RationalLemming wrote:
As with most warbands I suspect that it probably comes down to who you to.

Yes, that is true i guess, but that doesn't help me really. Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_sad

RationalLemming wrote:
We have used the Gunnery School of Nuln in my gaming group and had no problems with it. It is one of the warbands that I'm tossing up whether to play as my next warband.

Thanks, this is an answer that i was looking for. Gunnery school of Nuln warbands 544694
Let me re-phrase my question: Would you guys consider playing or/and allow someone to play a Gunnery school of Nuln in your Mordheim campaigns and/or skirmishes? If no, how come?

At a first glance they look kinda overpowered with the "hunter skill" on the boss and marksmen + the increased range for all BP-weapons from the champion + the cheaper prices for BP-weapons. But maybe it's fair. I have to little experience with Mordheim to be able to know yet... Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_redface

Smileys are kinda irritating but somewhat amusing to use... Gunnery school of Nuln warbands 492214
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 13:52

I own and operate my very own rather dully painted Gunnery school of Nuln-band, and I made the following two changes to the rules:

1) Increase the cost of blackpowder weapons, but not fully up to the original value. Also made this cheapness related to the presence of the Instructor (no Instructor = original prices!).

2) Remove the Hunter-skill from the marksmen. It's just very unbalanced. Treat them like ordinary Reiklander marksmen!
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 14:45

In my experience, Black Powder weapons for normal warbands are overpriced and underpowered (especially compared to crossbows). All the Gunnery School really does is make black powder weapons more competitive with the less-noisome options that are likely to be fielded by their opponents.

If your group has special house-rules for black powder weapons, you might find the Nulnites a bit overpowered, but if you're using the core black powder rules, I don't think you'll have any problems.
Back to top Go down
LeSquide
Youngblood
Youngblood
LeSquide

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 19:04

I'm in a campaign as the Gunnery School right now, actually!

My experience is limited so far, but I feel pretty on par with most of the other warbands. The reloading rule and hunter skills are nice, but in the end you still have human stats with expensive ranged weapons. My first match was a very exiting fight against an Orc warband, which came very close to being decided by a single combat after they had weathered the hail of lead from further back.

Note: We were using the optional rules for firearm misfires, which resulted in several knockdowns of my brave men and one actual death of a poor junior student.
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 22:11

LeSquide wrote:
Note: We were using the optional rules for firearm misfires, which resulted in several knockdowns of my brave men and one actual death of a poor junior student.

I hope you remembered to use the 3+ save against exploding weapons that you're granted from the "Properly Used" rule!
Back to top Go down
LeSquide
Youngblood
Youngblood
LeSquide

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 23:36

I did. That did not save poor Scholarship Student "Poor" Edgar Krupp from his shotgun's unfortunate explosion and his subsequent tumbling fall off the second highest tower on the board.

He will be missed.
Back to top Go down
MTD
Youngblood
Youngblood
MTD

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010 - 15:45

I'm currently running a gunners band, in their 4th game, and they are a bit different than any band I've run before. I've always played hard core hand-to-hand bands and I'm doing the total opposite and focusing on total shooting. I'm doing the pistol hammer combo for all non longarm shooters--shoot you then beat you with the butts. Nobody has armor as I'm spending all my gold on weapons and expanding the band. And so far they haven't needed it. I'm using the blackpowder missfire table but not taking the 20% off. This has been fun as at least one weapon has busted in every game. Using unmodified blackpower rules as the rate of fire provided by double barreled weapons makes it unnecessary.

What I've done is break the band down into three fire teams. The 2 BS 5 rifle marksmen and elevated marksman/hero are lead by the instructor and they provide my gunline support for the other two groups. Their placement is critical as you don't want to have to move them and you want them to provide the cover fire for the lesser groups. I try for elevated platforms or clear line of sight areas where they can cover as many avenues my opponents might use to get me. My leader just learned to follow his hunches and this should make positioning my rifles easier.

The next group is a son of a gun with a spear to take charges and protect the underclassmen. One underclass men just got the weapons expert skill as I want him to have use of the 22 inch range blunderbuss the instructor allows.

Last group is the leader, upperclassmen, and two grunt pistolers, with pistols and hammers to take charges.

When playing, the lesser groups move to mid field, under cover of the rifles, and try to achieve game objectives and wait for the enemy with overlapping pistol cover fire.

Plans: more blunderbusses, a hunting rifle for the hero marksmen, maybe a mortar (but that might be too harsh for my group, perhaps bird bombs instead), caltrops for the heros to potentially halt charges so they can get in an extra turn of shooting.

Cool happings: First game the instructor double barred a frenzied lizardman warrior with a double crit and did 4 wounds (we play all 6's are crits) and just barely took him out of action.

All-in-all, I've been enjoying the band and as long as there is enough terrain, my opponents have been having a good time as well.
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010 - 20:31

Would one of you be so kind as to direct me to where I might find the list you're all discussing?
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010 - 20:56

It's in the Nemesis Crown supplement - I'm not sure where you can download it now, but i'm sure it's out there somewhere.

If you can't find it, drop me a PM with your email and I'll send it your way.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeTue 27 Apr 2010 - 21:37

hero wrote:
Would one of you be so kind as to direct me to where I might find the list you're all discussing?

http://www.mordheim-nemesiscrown.de.vu/
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 3:25

CygnusMaximus wrote:
In my experience, Black Powder weapons for normal warbands are overpriced and underpowered (especially compared to crossbows). All the Gunnery School really does is make black powder weapons more competitive with the less-noisome options that are likely to be fielded by their opponents.

If your group has special house-rules for black powder weapons, you might find the Nulnites a bit overpowered, but if you're using the core black powder rules, I don't think you'll have any problems.

This was the exact same result my gaming group discovered. We removed move-or-fire from handguns and allowed heroes to buy hunting shells (same cost & effect as hunting arrows). These worked great for most warbands, but Nuln was designed to make black powder viable and proved too much together... especially models armed with two move-and-fire double-barreled handguns that OOA guys on 4+ and shoot every turn... *shudder*

But they should work fine without my house rules, even if they don't quite fit in with the Mordheim setting's level of technology.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 10:15

Pathfinder Dubstyles wrote:
... even if they don't quite fit in with the Mordheim setting's level of technology.

Which is why they are in a different setting/supplement. Wink
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 15:09

cianty wrote:
... even if they don't quite fit in with the Mordheim setting's level of technology.

Which is why they are in a different setting/supplement. Wink

We still allow them in "normal" Mordheim games (but are strict enough devotees of the fluff gods not to allow Lizardmen, Amazons, etc.) - mostly because the list is fun but also because, if I were a mad inventor of weapons in the Imperial year 2000, I couldn't think of a better place for weapons testing than the City of the Damned!
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeWed 28 Apr 2010 - 15:42

Ha ha! Absolutely!

My group wasn't as strict when it comes to background, but I'd like to focus more on that in my next projects.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitimeMon 17 May 2010 - 11:24

CygnusMaximus wrote:

This was the exact same result my gaming group discovered. We removed move-or-fire from handguns and allowed heroes to buy hunting shells (same cost & effect as hunting arrows). These worked great for most warbands, but Nuln was designed to make black powder viable and proved too much together... especially models armed with two move-and-fire double-barreled handguns that OOA guys on 4+ and shoot every turn... *shudder*

But they should work fine without my house rules, even if they don't quite fit in with the Mordheim setting's level of technology.
Hi,

We are going to use the optional blackpowder misfire rules in our next campaign (hopefully starting in a fortnight bounce ). Therefore we are reducing the normal cost of blackpowder weapons by 20% as suggested to keep things balanced. We are going to have a Gunnery School warband in our campaign.

Now the price for blackpowder weapons in the Gunnery School equipment lists is less than the normal price to 'balance' blackpowder weapons in this warband. Do you think that the equipment list costs should be decreased by 20% also considering the misfire rules or would a double discount go too far and make the warband too powerful (please note that the Gunnery School ALWAYS gets to purchase blackpowder weapons at the equipment list costs)? Question Question They do have a 50% chance of avoiding a misfire so maybe this rule was put in to balance against misfires without further reducing costs.

Here are all of our house rules that probably affect blackpowder weapons in case any of you want to comment on them in regards to the Gunnery School...
Quote :
The Armour Save Modifier based on attack Strength starts at Strength 5 instead of Strength 4.

Blackpowder weapons are always subject to the misfire rule and therefore cost 20% less than normal, rulebook price.

Handgun: S5
Hochland Long Rifle/Hunting Rifle: S5, add "Accuracy" (from Duelling Pistols)

We are playing a BTB campaign so the following rule applies also...
Quote :
All pistols, duelling pistols and handguns bought during a Border Town Burning campaign get one re-roll when rolling on the blackpowder weapon misfires chart. All other blackpowder weapons such a warplock pistols, blunderbusses, Hochland (hunting) rifles do not receive this bonus.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gunnery school of Nuln warbands   Gunnery school of Nuln warbands Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gunnery school of Nuln warbands
Page 1 of 1