Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Wizards warband

Go down 
+6
elChelli
folketsfiende
vampirekhaine
LeSquide
RationalLemming
endrew42
10 posters
AuthorMessage
endrew42

endrew42

Trading Reputation : 0

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 3:10

I would like to make a warband which represents a "research" team from the college of Wizardry in Aldorf.

Is there any existing way to do this or would I have to come up with custom rules.

I would say that I want a minimum of 3 wizards to give it a sufficiently wizardy feel.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 3:25

Wizard warbands are hard to balance but a good one has actually been created. Have a look at Letters of the Damned issue 4 where you will find the rules for the Sorcerous Society which is a well-written wizard warband (one of my friends has used it already and liked it and another friend is going to use it in our next campaign). Perhaps you can draw some inspiration from that warband or maybe it will save you the need to create a wizard warband at all. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
endrew42

endrew42

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 3:33

RationalLemming wrote:
Wizard warbands are hard to balance but a good one has actually been created. Have a look at Letters of the Damned issue 4 where you will find the rules for the Sorcerous Society which is a well-written wizard warband (one of my friends has used it already and liked it and another friend is going to use it in our next campaign). Perhaps you can draw some inspiration from that warband or maybe it will save you the need to create a wizard warband at all. thumbsup

great! thanks, I will definitely take a look a this.
Back to top Go down
LeSquide
Youngblood
Youngblood
LeSquide

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 19:05

RationalLemming wrote:

Are there any potential balance problems you noticed? How did the ability to field a large number of (admittedly potentially self-destructive) magic uses affect the battle?
Back to top Go down
vampirekhaine
Warlord
Warlord
vampirekhaine

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeWed 7 Apr 2010 - 22:04

As far as I know the Karaz Azgal has a sorcerer-oriented warband. Involves several wizards and apprentices (spelling?), eager young men wanting to become powerfull casters themselves some day.

Just google around a bit for the rules.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 4:15

We haven't noticed any major balance issues and have enjoyed using the warband. For one thing spell casting can misfire. For another thing there are 'dodgy' spells in with the 'good' spells in each of the spell lists.
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 9:04

I've played quite a lot with a Sorcerous society warband, and I think it's very balanced. You can compare the spellcasting with using ballistic weapons. Besides, the wizards are really weak in close combat so there are many ways to beat them!
Back to top Go down
elChelli
Hero
Hero
elChelli

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 11:06

a question at the guy who played the band already

can you explain me the sense of this:
Quote :

Cat
Go for the Eyes
! If both attacks successfully wound in
one round then the enemy model is blinded and may
not fight back until their next turn. If only one attack
wounds then the affected model suffers a -1 to both
WS & BS until the beginning of their next turn.

I understand when the Kitty hits and wounds the enemy he looses an eye and when she hits and wounds twice the e. is blind. BUT my little pet just has ONE attack, how cant she wound twice???!!

AND

I understood this right, the Familiars are on a single base and i can choose which one i want.

thanks for the helps... cool warband at all
Back to top Go down
Keylan
Champion
Champion
Keylan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 11:41

Lol this "Go for the Eyes" is a no use ability obviusliy.

Even if u have multible attacks, as u wound ur enemy u make an injury roll ending in Knocked Down/Stunned/Out of Action.
No matter what the model is never able to fight back or do anything untill its next recovery phase.
Back to top Go down
elChelli
Hero
Hero
elChelli

Personal Info

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 11:48

Keylan wrote:

Even if u have multible attacks, as u wound ur enemy u make an injury roll ending in Knocked Down/Stunned/Out of Action.
No matter what the model is never able to fight back or do anything untill its next recovery phase.

rofl ... true Wizards warband Icon_lol shame on me Wizards warband Icon_redface (and the guy wrote this)
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 13:19

In my version of the rules the Cat has 2 attacks on the profile.

The Go For The Eyes would be useful if the person attacked by the kitty has multiple wounds or if they have the Jump Up skill.

I have only used the list a little bit, but what I found was that the result '2' was too brutal and '12' was too good.

I suppose if you were just doing a story campaign and it didn't matter to anyone at all who won or lost then it accurately reflects a pre-college wizard warband, but if you are doing any kind of normal campaign or trying to reflect a more formalised Altdorf team then it is a bit erratic.
Back to top Go down
elChelli
Hero
Hero
elChelli

Personal Info

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 13:46

an other question to the spell

1 - Winters Gale Difficulty 10
Calling to the northern winds, the wizard brings forth freezing air and biting snow.
Place the large blast template (5 inches) over a location within 12 inches of the caster. Any model covered
or partially covered will suffer a S4 hit. Undead and Possessed models do not suffer as mortals do
from the cold, and thus only suffer a S2 hit instead.

does this mean the models without cover cant be hit?
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 13:59

More to the point, to me at least, the inclusion of mutations means it doesn't *feel* like an Altdorf warband (although still fun to play Smile). If you want to have a go at making a more Collegey-feeling warband I would be happy to help you balance and play-test it (I am too lazy to make a warband from scratch by myself, but I am happy to assist Smile).
Back to top Go down
Lord 0
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Lord 0

Personal Info

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 14:01

elChelli wrote:
does this mean the models without cover cant be hit?
No, it means if you place the template on the field then all models touched by the template (looking down from above) are hit. Freindly models are not excluded so it looks like they are hit too.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeFri 9 Apr 2010 - 3:07

elChelli wrote:
a question at the guy who played the band already

can you explain me the sense of this:
Quote :

Cat
Go for the Eyes
! If both attacks successfully wound in
one round then the enemy model is blinded and may
not fight back until their next turn. If only one attack
wounds then the affected model suffers a -1 to both
WS & BS until the beginning of their next turn.

I understand when the Kitty hits and wounds the enemy he looses an eye and when she hits and wounds twice the e. is blind. BUT my little pet just has ONE attack, how cant she wound twice???!!

AND

I understood this right, the Familiars are on a single base and i can choose which one i want.

thanks for the helps... cool warband at all

We put Familiars on a single base so that they can move independently of their master. Yes, you can choose which Familiar you want for each wizard (and I do not remember any rules preventing multiple wizards all choosing the same type of Familiar).

Keylan wrote:

The cat has two attacks in my rules also. The way that we played "Go for the Eyes!" is that this rule replaced the injury roll. Therefore the cat cannot knock down, stun or take a warrior out of action but instead can potentially blind or hinder (-1 to WS and BS) the warrior when it 'wounds' the warrior.

Last edited by RationalLemming on Fri 9 Apr 2010 - 6:14; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeFri 9 Apr 2010 - 4:10

That seems reasonable.

I haven't seen this warband before. Sounds interesting.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitimeSat 10 Apr 2010 - 19:37

RationalLemming wrote:
The way that we played "Go for the Eyes!" is that this rule replaced the injury roll. Therefore the cat cannot knock down, stun or take a warrior out of action but instead can potentially blind or hinder (-1 to WS and BS) the warrior when it 'wounds' the warrior.

Good interpretation, I bet it was the authors original intention!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Wizards warband Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wizards warband   Wizards warband Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Wizards warband
Page 1 of 1