Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)

Go down 
+15
CygnusMaximus
Narcissus
Paluke
lord siwoc
Orrlak
Von Kurst
Etrigan001
mweaver
sartori
dalanshin
Captain Bernhardt
DeafNala
Skavenblight
Mithras
Pirexian
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 29 Mar 2010 - 22:47

looking good mate!
Back to top Go down
Etrigan001
Veteran
Veteran
Etrigan001

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010 - 10:40

more please!
Back to top Go down
Boreas_NL
Ancient
Ancient
Boreas_NL

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010 - 16:22

I really like the size of your buildings. They are quite broad which must make for easy access during games. The double house is something I will keep in mind.

The temple is starting to look very cool. It makes me want to do a temple of Sigmar for my board...

Very much looking forward to more updates!
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 18 Apr 2010 - 21:02

Thanks for the comments folks, I will soon have some updates for the chapel, I finished putting the 4 walls in place. Right now I'm setting the gothic vitrals to the windows (I'm really liking the looks of that! its turning out great so far) and soon after I'm done with that I'll be adding some filler paste to the walls to add texture.. I haven't decided yet where to place the Bell though.
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 2:29

Alright, Incoming Updates on the chapel:

Well, I finished with the windows-gothic glass... I think it turned out good enough, hopefuly once the whole building is painted they will look accord the mood... if not (if they look too bright) I can always wash 'em with a black or brown to tone down the bright colors... though one thing I like about them is that they are actually a bit transparent, and depending on the angle you are looking at them they are dark or translucent, which creates a cool reflection effect on other surfaces. They were made with some transparent plastic sheet, different nail polish and the black outlines are made with textile paints.
Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel11

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel16

I added some half-pilars to the side walls as well as some cereal card board at the points where the windows were placed, to give more depth to the building itself. It turned out good I think.
Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel12

The back wall was very flat and boring.. I didn't know what to do there.. so I just went and destroyed it a little bit.. adding some more wood reinforcements.
Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel14

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel17

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel18

Here you can see Sigmar's Cometh.. It started with a simple cardboard cut and glued to the back wall.. but I decided to add some of that Textile paint.. to improve the 3d-ness.. I know it doesn't look like much on the pictures.. but remember that textile paints tend to "pump" or grow.. so yeah.. right now it looks just black.. but it does have a lot of texture and depth.. hopefully with some paint, washes and dry brush highlights it'll look better Razz
Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel19

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel15

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel13
---------------------------------------------

So that's it, so far I'm satisfied with how is turning out. But I still have lots of work to be done:

1.- Improving the balcony, It's too plain and simple, it could be more interesting..
2.- I want to add some roof.. ruined roof of course. The best place to put it would be in one of the back corners, actually.. just a corner of the building will still be in place.
3.- Debris; all over that flat area at the center of the building.. I have to fill up all of that.. it needs to count as difficult terrain, like a real ruin Razz
4.- The freaking Bell!!! I just can't leave the bell out of this project.. It could be an scenario objective, or just for looks.. The thing is that I don't know where to put it.. maybe at the front gate.. or at the outside back wall.. or inside at the balcony.. I haven't decided, suggestions are totally welcome!.
5.- Texture the walls.. I already bought the filler.

-----------------------------------

One thing that I realized after I glued everything is that it will be really hard to paint some areas.. like below the stairs and stuff x_X!!!! but oh well... shit happens xD!
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 10:03

I really like the progess Very Happy keep up the good work!

Nailpolish for making glass in lead windows is a FINE idea that i will try out as well Smile

For more support on the roof, you could add some pillars inside the chapel, with of course a few broken / fallen down pillars. maybe some benches in between the pillars let me draw what i mean:

outer wall -pillar- ----pillar-----outer wall

--|| bench ( ) carpet ( ) bench ||
--|| --------- carpet -------------- ||
--|| bench ( ) carpet ( ) bench ||

----- = empty space

maybe some benches are broken etc. go creative Smile but something like that is what i would do.

for the bell, i would add a bell tower, a new building perhaps. not unseen in churches here in the netherlands to have 2 seperate buildings. you could even use gw chapel clock bits (found cheap on ebay) i ordered mine a few days ago.

but if you want to have the bell inside the chapel, you could make a small tower on the (lower picture's view) left side. which also would give your roof more stability.

well, thats my two cents, hope it maybe be of some value!
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 10:15

This is really promising, Pirexian! I feel so lazy only using readymade terrain, when I see what you (and the other builders of the forum) concoct. Maybe someday I will stop drooling and actually build some ruins myself. Keep up the good work!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 20 Apr 2010 - 10:58

The Beasty is coming along VERY NICELY...EXCELLENT looking Chapel. I REALLY like the stained glass effect...spots of color in otherwise somber terrain adds interest to the overall effect; be careful not to hit when you apply the finish. Keep up the GREAT WORK! Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 544694
Back to top Go down
XIII
Champion
Champion
XIII

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 21 Apr 2010 - 20:43

Pirexian wrote:

4.- The freaking Bell!!! I just can't leave the bell out of this project.. It could be an scenario objective, or just for looks.. The thing is that I don't know where to put it.. maybe at the front gate.. or at the outside back wall.. or inside at the balcony.. I haven't decided, suggestions are totally welcome!.

Have you thought about having a church tower, either attached, or as a seperate scenery piece which is in complete ruins, with part of the lower walls standing, and the bell mixed into a big pile of rubble? Could see it still partially attached to the wooden bell mount, half burried, even a rope coiled out from the mechanism... could be done in an L shape so the remainder of the tower will slot up against the church corner seamlessly?

Really looking forward to this all coming together. Nice touch with the stained glass!
Back to top Go down
http://xiii.org.uk
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 0:39

Will definitely be watching this! Great post.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/siliconsicilian/sets/72157623710783
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 6:49

Thanks for all your responses folks! I really appreciate 'em!

Some of your suggestions for the Bell placement sound great, but I'm afraid building a secondary bell tower would be quite too ambitious for me now ;_; so for the time being I decided to set the bell right at the center of whatever is left of roof.. inside the building.

Though the Bell tower sounds promising for the future.. to be honest getting a hold of those little bells is quite easy where I live at.. actually a bigger bell would be more fitting for a bell tower.. this is just an small chapel, so my tiny bell will do.

So any how, Tiny Update.. I added some roof here and there.. nothing much, nothing special but it looks decent.. now you can get an idea of where I'll be placing that bell.. that roof looks like a good spot for it..

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel20

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel21

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel22
----------------------------------------

And thats all for now xO...
After this, finally I'll be placing the bell, finishing the balcony and adding filler to the walls to create some texture.
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 22 Apr 2010 - 16:52

that roof looks great! nice work
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010 - 2:31

And another quick & tiny update;
Finally, the bell is placed.. xO..
I don't think it's spectacular, but it gives me the feel that it's the right place for this building. In the future I might try to make a Clock tower, including another bell (just a bit bigger).

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel23

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Pirexchapel24

Oh well.. so this one is almost ready to be left aside waiting for the paint job... I only need to add plaster/filler to the walls for some texture, and make some improvements to the balcony.
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010 - 10:04

great place for the bell Very Happy nice one pirex!

Although, one could consider making the bell-string more towards the wall, hanging down from there. Because it's now just hanging down in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010 - 14:58

True indeed, Maybe I could make some sort of "handle" or hook at the wall, so the string can be attached there or something..
Back to top Go down
SiliconSicilian
Veteran
Veteran
SiliconSicilian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010 - 15:27

Any chance on making the comet into stained glass or is it too late?
Back to top Go down
http://www.flickr.com/photos/siliconsicilian/sets/72157623710783
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010 - 15:47

No love for the bell from me. The rope would've burned in the fire that consumed the roof.

If you added a tower to house the bell=very cool.
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 24 Apr 2010 - 16:48

- Too late to make an stained glass comet Sad
I had the idea at the beginning, but I didn't go for it since it would be kind of hard for me to cut the foam core with the right shape.. I suck at cutting foam core :S... so makeing the comet shape and all would be very hard for me at least.. so I droped that idea sadly =/

- The comet of sigmar inscribed on the wall protected the rope with holy energies (????cofcof????) Since then, the people refers to the chapel as "Holy rope's Chapel"
Very Happy!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)   Pirexian's Scenery (WiP) - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pirexian's Scenery (WiP)
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2