Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte?

Go down 
+2
Paluke
Bean965
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Bean965
Hero
Hero
Bean965

Trading Reputation : 0

Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte?   Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Mar 2010 - 19:28

I'm a newbie at figure painting, but I'm staring to get the hang of it... sort of.

I finished some figures for my Possessed warband and my buddy told me to spray a clear coat over it. He lent me his matte and gloss sprays and recommended the gloss.

I used the matte and now I don't like the dull, dusty look I got form it.

What will happen if I spray a gloss coat over top of the matte coat?

Should I try this or just live with the finish I've got.
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte?   Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Mar 2010 - 20:06

i heard the other way around. Glossy finish and then spray matte,

so i guess using gloss on matte could work Smile

It is certainly a nice experiment!
Back to top Go down
Skavenblight
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Skavenblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte?   Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte? Icon_minitimeSat 13 Mar 2010 - 20:47

Quote :
What will happen if I spray a gloss coat over top of the matte coat?
Probably nothing. They will shine, but I'm not sure if they lose their "dull, dusty look" you've described. But you can try, you have nothing to lose Wink

The problem you have is that you may have sprayed too much (or from too little distance) and with matte spray there is always a problem, when you do it.
Back to top Go down
http://hakostwo.blogspot.com
dwi
Warlord
Warlord
dwi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte?   Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte? Icon_minitimeSun 14 Mar 2010 - 13:31

I gotta go with Skavenblight on this one I don't it will do much. However, it's still worth a shot
Back to top Go down
Mr.chair
Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte?   Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte? Icon_minitimeSun 14 Mar 2010 - 22:28

If you have a dusty cloudy look it's because you made a mistake while varnishing. Many people screw up on their first time out with matte varnish because they're not aware of some of the difficulties with its use. You shouldn't be using matte spray when it is cold or moist out. Cold and mositure affect the way that the particles of varnish interact with the air, and will cause it to become cloudy and ruin yor paint job. Spraying the gloss varnish will only make your miniature shiny, which most people tend to think looks a bit amateur, so I would avoid it. I've heard that there are ways to correct bad matte varnish coats, try asking about it on warseer.com. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte?   Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte? Icon_minitimeTue 16 Mar 2010 - 6:08

It'd be nice if someone could find some contrasting examples of different finishes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte?   Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone ever sprayed gloss finish over matte?
Page 1 of 1