Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Quick Experience Question

Go down 
+4
alveiz
Snappy_Dresser
Dmig
Grey_seer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Grey_seer
Youngblood
Youngblood
Grey_seer

Trading Reputation : 0

quick - Quick Experience Question Empty
PostSubject: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 18:21

I will apologise now for this question because i am sure all you veterans will be able to answer it easily. When it comes to earning experience and making advance rolls how do you know when you have to make one. In the rulebook it says when you reach a dark outlined box in the roster sheet but i don't know how to calculate this. Do you just put a mark in each box to represent one experience or is there something I am missing? One again i apologise for this stupid question and if i am posting it in the wrong place (i am new to this forum and mordheim itself)
Back to top Go down
Dmig
Knight
Knight
Dmig

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 18:49

yeah for every experience point you check off a box from left to right
Back to top Go down
Snappy_Dresser
Captain
Captain
Snappy_Dresser

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 19:03

and remember, different Heroes have different starting experience (it'll say in the various Warband lists). You don't get experience rolls for the dark boxes crossed off by this.
Back to top Go down
Grey_seer
Youngblood
Youngblood
Grey_seer

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 19:39

Thanks alot. Do you only put a mark in the first box when you get your first experience or do you put a mark in the second box (meaning you start with one)
Back to top Go down
Dmig
Knight
Knight
Dmig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 20:17

henchmen all start with 0 so you check the first box, heroes start with varying levels of experience stated at the beginning of the warband list.

For example a mercenary captain starts with 20 xp champions with 8 and youngbloods with 0
Back to top Go down
alveiz
Champion
Champion
alveiz

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 20:41

Snappy_Dresser wrote:
and remember, different Heroes have different starting experience (it'll say in the various Warband lists). You don't get experience rolls for the dark boxes crossed off by this.
How can you not get any experience rolls on these first? Is it a vanilla rule?
In our group we make a warband, do the xp rolls for every hero and play, so there is a difference between the leader of the band and the other heroes.
Otherways a normal hero that gets to the same level of exp that the leader has, will be much more powerful than him because of these 8 rolls you haven't thrown.

We've been playing for 4 years this way, are we doing it bad?
Back to top Go down
Snappy_Dresser
Captain
Captain
Snappy_Dresser

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 21:31

Yes, over time, the leader will be worse than a Champion with the same experience. But as long as you are all playing the same rules in your group it doesn't really matter (although damn, I want to play Possesed in your league) If you like it, then do it that way.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 22:11

Yes, alveiz, you are doing it "wrong" in the sense that you are not supposed to make those rolls for advancements - that experience is what makes the captain a captain, the champion a champion, etc. - what raised them from the Mordeheim equivalents of red shirts. That said, if you and the group are happy with your way, then keep doing it! It will make captains and champs and the like more powerful (and a much better buy for the gold) then the author intended though.

Grey_seer, I never use their roster sheets, and just keep up with the experience numbers that earn you rolls.

For heroes, roll when earned experience takes you to 2, 4, 6, 8, 11, 14, 17, 20, 24, 28, 32, 36, 41, 46, 51, 57, 63, 69, 76, 83,

Henchmen
roll on 2, 5, 9, 14
Back to top Go down
sartori
General
General
sartori

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 23:04

You have to look at the situation from all angles, not just who is physically better at killing stuff. The 20 experience a warband leader starts with reflects the fact he is has a tour or two under his belt already, and knows what he is doing. The important factor to consider is the special ability "leader".

Just because a lower-ranked hero gets as powerful or more powerful than his leader does NOT automatically make him leader material (even though that might jibe with an Orc mentality).

In Mordheim campaign rules, when a leader dies the hero with the next highest leadership stat take the mantle of Leader. There's a decent chance he is not gonna be the most ass-kickingest hero you have. I would consider him the next-best member at giving orders, making decisions, managing the crew, etc.

alveiz wrote:
We've been playing for 4 years this way, are we doing it bad?

I wouldn't call it "bad". More like "not as intended" if you go by the official rules. However, your group can play Mordheim however you want, and generally we recommend doing so here! Do whatever is fun for you.
Back to top Go down
Grey_seer
Youngblood
Youngblood
Grey_seer

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeFri 19 Feb 2010 - 23:23

I would like to thank all you guys for your help and I hope to be posting some battle reports soon. As the name may suggest I am a Skaven player and after along time playing them in fantasy i thought I would give this a shot. I have fallen in love with it after my first game when i won against undead without taking any casualties (beginners luck)
Back to top Go down
sartori
General
General
sartori

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 1:23

Dmig wrote:
henchmen all start with 0 so you check the first box, heroes start with varying levels of experience stated at the beginning of the warband list.

For example a mercenary captain starts with 20 xp champions with 8 and youngbloods with 0

Henchmen start with 0 so you start with a blank experience line, THEN during or after their first game you check the first box when they earn an experience point - but not until then.
Back to top Go down
Knightei
Knight
Knight
Knightei

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 11:35

if you do it alveizs way you might as well go with your weakest hero's stat line and advance on that...
Back to top Go down
Citizen Sade
Ancient
Ancient
Citizen Sade

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeSat 20 Feb 2010 - 11:51

We toyed, for a while, with the idea of giving heroes advance rolls before starting a campaign we were planning. The idea was to look at the statistic advances that a hero already had on his starting profile over the basic profile for his race. We were going to treat 'leader', the ability to cast spells etc. as an advance and to roll for any remaining unused advances.

By way of an example, a witch hunter captain has 20 XP on his starting profile. If he was to have started at 0 XP he would have earned 8 advances by the time he reached that level of experience. However, he has 4 statistic advances already built into his starting profile (+1 WS, +1 BS, +1I, + 1LD). Treating the leader skill and 'burn the witch!' special rules as advances would, under the system that was being proposed, entitle him to two additional advance rolls pre-campaign.

We didn't do it in the end due to problems with starting profiles for e.g. possessed and all the negotiating that would have been needed for all to agree on what was reasonable.
Back to top Go down
alveiz
Champion
Champion
alveiz

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitimeSun 21 Feb 2010 - 13:34

Citizen Sade wrote:
The idea was to look at the statistic advances that a hero already had on his starting profile over the basic profile for his race. We were going to treat 'leader', the ability to cast spells etc. as an advance and to roll for any remaining unused advances.

By way of an example, a witch hunter captain has 20 XP on his starting profile. If he was to have started at 0 XP he would have earned 8 advances by the time he reached that level of experience. However, he has 4 statistic advances already built into his starting profile (+1 WS, +1 BS, +1I, + 1LD). Treating the leader skill and 'burn the witch!' special rules as advances would, under the system that was being proposed, entitle him to two additional advance rolls pre-campaign.

In our group we did it more simple: a hero starting profile is the one when you buy it; if, for example, he has 20 xp points 8 rolls will be required before starting the campaign. The hero also has many special rules not necessarily understood (by us) as advances.
So we just rolled 8 times for each leader and the starting stats were way more competitive. The point is that it unbalanced the campaign a little (for profiles such as vampires and possesed).
Undead and Posessed performed the best while "elite warbands" like Dwarf Treasure Hunters, did it really bad. For example, in a game we played the other day a starting vampire had T6 W3 and Resilient, and made it really tough and nearly impossible to kill.
Now that i have learned this, when i told them the truth they couldn't believe it. We just re-readed again the rules and in fact it was written somewhere down the experience description. What a foolish people we are xDD...
No more immortal vampires for us, I highly recommend not to play that way.

Thanks for making me see it guys.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Quick Experience Question   quick - Quick Experience Question Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Quick Experience Question
Page 1 of 1