Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

If you could change 3 things in Mordheim

Go down 
+16
Popmouth
Snappy_Dresser
sartori
DeafNala
Davespaceman
Louis
alveiz
BossFacePunch
Myntokk
magokiron
wyldhunt
Von Kurst
mweaver
ampton
Asp
frog
20 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

Trading Reputation : 0

mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan 2010 - 13:21

In our group, the simple bump to shields (making them +2 to armor saves in hth) has meant that a reasonable number of warriors now go with shield and weapon rather than two weapons.
Back to top Go down
Nastyogre
Veteran
Veteran
Nastyogre

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan 2010 - 15:22

We do enforce a negative on the dual-wield with a skill to remove it. Improving Shields and reducing the cost of armor has made armor appear on heroes earlier in campaigns and created the appearance of "shieldmen" whose job it is to take charges.

Halberds... we have never found a good solution. The + Str just doesn't seem worth the loss of the attack. I'v ethought about allowing Bucklers with Halberds (There is some historical precedent for this) but not shields. The other might be to reduce their cost a bit. Or add 1st strike to the halberds. We've never decided what to do...
Back to top Go down
Aldhick
Veteran
Veteran
Aldhick

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon 25 Jan 2010 - 21:24

As for me and my group, I've already brought together our own rules
revision higly inspired by many discussions and propositions on this forum
and also by our Czech Mordheim Ikon Honza Skypala (you can find his
scenario in Annual 2002).
As I was working on it, I saw 3 biggest problems in following:

1. ofcourse the dual wield problem- big boring story mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 5 Closely with this is connected other problem:
2. imbalance between quality (few well equipped warriors) and quantity (bunch of non-equpped warriors) - armor and other enhancing stuff is more expensive and of no real use compared to a naked guy with two simple hanweapon-basic tactical unit in Mordheim.. that realy kills the spirit of choices, which way you want to develope your gang and also makes more than half of the whole equipment (which should be also the attractive part of the game) completely useles.
3. as third I'd mention the overall vague interpretation of most of rules, which makes you to ask dozens of questions all the time you play. No chance to make it without some house rules solving those unclear parts.
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan 2010 - 9:54

Myntokk wrote:
These are gonna sound like big ones, but I don't think they would actually change the game that much:

1 - Warband rating is calculated as total XP + total cost of the warband (magic items would have a "cost" assigned to them for rating purposes).
2 - Balance equipment costs based on in-game effectiveness rather than "realistic" pricing.
3 - No limit to the number of heroes you can obtain (still cap exploration rolls at 6 dice).

I really don't see any of these as a main problem.
1. The warband rating may be a bit off, I agree, though the warband rating is sledom crucial to a game's outcome!
2. Now this may be a slight problem, still I would rather balance the actuall equipment abilities, than the cost. I think for fluff, and since it's gold it makes good sense that a sword is more expensive than a club - still fluffwise a club should be a lot worse than a sword, and this is were the problem lies.
4. Why is the limit bad? If there's no limit, there hardly is any point for henchmen at all - I think the balance between heroes and henchmen makes the game interesting.
Back to top Go down
Snappy_Dresser
Captain
Captain
Snappy_Dresser

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan 2010 - 10:30

Nastyogre wrote:

Halberds... we have never found a good solution. The + Str just doesn't seem worth the loss of the attack. I'v ethought about allowing Bucklers with Halberds (There is some historical precedent for this) but not shields. The other might be to reduce their cost a bit. Or add 1st strike to the halberds. We've never decided what to do...

I played around with a lot of stuff for my current campaign. I could never find the right balancing point between you'd never take them and you'd be an idiot not to take them. Right now they're vanilla with a new Strength skill that gives them strike first.
Back to top Go down
frog
Veteran
Veteran
frog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan 2010 - 17:56

i think halberds would come into there own, when you introduce a penalty for two weapons. cos you getting two advantages then....

Im really likeing the whole idea of "-1 to hit if you have two weapons."
and then maybe adding a combat skill for, "you have no penalty for having two close combat weapons!"
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan 2010 - 18:24

1: More ways for lagging warbands to catch up to the big dogs, which does not require a campaign organizer to hinder the winning players unfairly with constant ambushes, and specially ruled handicaps.
2: The above depends of accurate ratings, with equipment entered into the equation. Equipment should have a separate rating for this, not GC, which is fluff based.
3: All the official/almost-official rules to be collected into one big volume, with layers of optional rules. This would help eliminate duplicate items with different rules, and duplicate named, or conceptually similar, rules with different effects. Also it would help aleviate PDF hunting to find out obscure rules, so long as the index was good enough.
Back to top Go down
Snappy_Dresser
Captain
Captain
Snappy_Dresser

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue 26 Jan 2010 - 18:35

frog wrote:
i think halberds would come into there own, when you introduce a penalty for two weapons. cos you getting two advantages then....

Im really likeing the whole idea of "-1 to hit if you have two weapons."
and then maybe adding a combat skill for, "you have no penalty for having two close combat weapons!"

This is exactly how we play, and we play shields give a +2 armour vs missle weapons, and Halberds are still the red headed step child.
Back to top Go down
mweaver
Etheral
Etheral
mweaver

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed 27 Jan 2010 - 1:11

Oddly, one of our Mordheim players is a red-headed step child. He doesn't use halberds either, come to think of it.
Back to top Go down
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jan 2010 - 0:21

More elves, more ogres, and more fish!

Regards,

Werekin.

B-)
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jan 2010 - 2:17

Definitely more fish!

I forgot to mention the biggest thing I'd like to see change about Mordheim... more people playing it!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: If you could change 3 things in Mordheim   mordheim - If you could change 3 things in Mordheim - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

If you could change 3 things in Mordheim
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2