Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP

Go down 
+13
Dwalthrim_Grimsson
lord siwoc
Jacko' lantern
Popmouth
Bean965
dwi
ObsidianLord
DeafNala
kidterminal
Pathfinder Dubstyles
MonkeyShaman
Rudeboy
hwd
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
hwd
Hero
Hero
hwd

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Empty
PostSubject: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 21:12

Hi all,

I’m new here so please be nice!

In the new-year my local gaming group will be getting a bit of a mordhiem campaign underway which gives me the perfect opportunity to paint
up my Carnival of Chaos and to show them to you all!

I converted these two or three years ago and so they may get a few minor changes and updates before I paint them up but i'm pretty happy
with them! The warband is themed around the telling of a story with each member taking a role in the story when it is acted out across the Empire.

Models

Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Leadertaintedones
Carnival Master (on the left) and two Tainted ones these three play the roles of the Grandfather, the Daemon and the Plague (from l-r)

Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Strongmen
two brutes who play the Warriors

Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Henchman
Three henchmen who play the Herald, the Tallyman and the Reaper (from l-r)

Also in the warband are 3 nurglings but they take backstage parts for the play being a bit on the creepy side!

Painting
Painting wise I’ve got this far;

Completed The Herald
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP CoC_0003
(This needs another coat of bone on the writing)

Got this far on The Tallyman and The Reaper
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP CoC_0004
I haven't managed to finish them as I ran out of Scorched Brown. Unfortunatley the weather has been like this and my nearest GW is nearly 10 miles away so I haven't been able to get any new paint

[IMG][url=https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/hwd48/Carnival of Chaos/2 - two/IMG_2332.jpg[/IMG]https://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj11/hwd48/Carnival of Chaos/2 - two/IMG_2332.jpg[/IMG[/url]]

The Children (Nurglings) are also done;
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP CoC_0006
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP CoC_0007

Decided to go with a different idea than the usual nurgle look. I wanted them to fit in with the rest of the warband so painted them in the same skin tones

I also finished a little idea I thought might help during games. I made tabs that fit under the bases of the models with 'stunned' and 'knocked down' on them to make sure I know which they are if they get hurt in games
Here is one stuck under the Herald's base. As each model is completed I will place one under each base
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP CoC_0008

Background
The idea is that the members take their places in the following 'play'

The Grandfather is the first to walk onto the stage.
He announces the play is to begin and calls a hush over the audience.
Throughout the play he acts as narrator.

" Come my audience, gather round as the day turns to night, as light turns to darkness. Come away with me as the play begins. Be warned though, this is no love story, no comedy and no retelling of great deeds. It is indeed a tragedy, the most noble of all things a play can be. This is the story of a great tragedy, the coming of darkness into these, the lands of light...

How does this story begin? With a cataclysm, with the falling of a great comet? No. It begins as all things begin, just as the chilling of nights indicates the coming of winter, the story begins with the smallest of things...

At this point the Grandfather moves to a lectern at the side of the stage and a solemn bell sound tolls from offstage.

”Here comes the sign of things to come, here comes the herald of darkness”

The Herald dances onto the stage, tolling his bell. As he dances around the stage and through the audience chanting begins from behind the stage. Rhythmic at first the bell and the voices become more and more erratic as the dance quickens in pace. At the climax of the piece The Warriors burst through the back of the stage and the grandfathers voice cuts the air as chanting stops.

”Darkness was foretold and now the darkness has arrived! It is now that the great battle begins”

From the sides of the stage, players rush on dressed in the style of soldiers of the empire. Again the chanting begins as a new dance begins. Swirling across the stage the dance plays out great battles, the soldiers being forced back before the tide turns and the warriors are pushed closer and closer to the back of the stage. Planted members of the audience begin to cheer as it looks like the forces of light have won. The Grandfathers voice once again cuts through the night

”Alas, the great darkness has not only men in their terrifying arsenal. The coming of the warriors is but the beginning. With them they bring the Daemon and the Plague”

From behind the Warriors burst The Daemon and The Plague and the dance begins again. As the Daemon stalks through the soldiers, the Plague dances around him his movements swift, graceful and acrobatic. When all the soldiers are down the music stops and the Daemon and the Plague turn slowly and deliberately toward the audience.

”Fear not my audience, for this is merely a play. These men in their costumes can do you no harm…”

The plague and the daemon rush toward the calmed audience. First going for the planted players before turning to the audience in general, the daemon gently strikes the audience with his wooden sword and the plague blows a brightly coloured dust into their faces. The Grandfather calls over the audience as the players do their work

”Catch them, catch them when they fall, they are only sleeping. Let them lie, for them the play is over, for you there is not long left”

After a while the daemon and the plague dance back to the stage, leaving their ‘victims’ in the arms of the audience.

”What can be left my audience, darkness has come, darkness has triumphed? What can be left? Only two things remain my audience, and the first is soon to begin”

Onto the stage comes The Tallyman . As he dances in silence through the scene he touches each prone ‘victim’ with his staff counting them off as he completes his dance.

”The Tallyman has taken his number and all that remains is for the Reaper to claim his souls and transfer the living to the otherside”

The Reaper comes forth trailed by players dressed as his minions. Their dance takes them to each ‘victim’ in the order they were counted. The victims are hoisted up by the minions and as the dance snakes its way back to the now empty stage.

All that is left is The Grandfather. As he makes his way from the lectern to the stage he closes proceedings

”The play is done my audience, the play is done. Go back to your homes and remember the tragedy we told tonight. Just as the chilling of the night heralds the coming of winter, so too will the coming of darkness before told. Remember the story for it may save you in the years to come. Those we have taken from you tonight will sleep to the morn. We will tend to them and return them at day’s first light”

With that the play is done, the torches are extinguished and the curtain falls. Slowly people return to their homes, trusting the Grandfather’s word. The next morning those who were taken have not been returned and of the players there is no sign. The Carnival has moved on, their work complete for the night. By the time the villagers woke they were over a day’s rider away, setting up for the next harvest…

Sorry for the really long post everyone!
Comments and criticisms etc are welcome

Hwd
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 21:40

Great Work! I like the mods you did. They have that Chaotic feel and they are unique.

I like what you did with the bottom of the bases. I think that would be really helpful for models that are set-up in the diagonal.
Back to top Go down
MonkeyShaman
General
General
MonkeyShaman

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 1:31

awesome use of zombie parts, nice and clean paintjob.
And the stunned/knocked out marker is great.
cudos for freehanding the names
and expanding the fluff collection on here!
Can't wait to see the finished product.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ministryowaaagh.site50.net
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 1:44

Bright colors always look good on models, even on evil models.

The knocked down/stunned token on the base is so simple yet no one has thought of it until now! Great idea!
Back to top Go down
kidterminal
Veteran
Veteran
kidterminal

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 7:23

Very nice use of zombie parts! I can't wait to see more.

Rob
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 7:28

VERY WELL THOUGHT OUT War Band! The Zombies REALLY look the part...a FINE choice of colors. Keep up the GOOD WORK! Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP 544694
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 9:59

I am going to make my bases the same as soon as possible! Up to now, we always try to help eachother to remember what models are KO or Stunned. Also, I love the paintjobs! Smile
Back to top Go down
hwd
Hero
Hero
hwd

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 10:23

Thanks for you feedback guys!

Unfortunatley the weather has cleared enough for me to go back to work so progress will slow from here on in! I've been working on the painting for a week or so now...

I'm glad you think the stunned / knocked down markers are a good idea, I though they would help me, especially as I am a bit of a newbie to Mordhiem. They're not 100 necesseary on some models but on others, like one of my Brutes where lying him face up/down will be difficult it should help more!

As I said already, thanks for the feedback and I will post my progress up as and when it happens. I'm also working on two 40k armies at the moment so painting time has to be split with those...

Out for now

Hwd
Back to top Go down
ObsidianLord
Captain
Captain
ObsidianLord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 23:24

Very nice warband!
Pleased to see some CoC out there ^^

I especially love your brutes! Can i ask where those big arms and weapons come from? Orcs?

You may play all of these models as zombies in an undead warband too (with the brutes as gigantic frankendregs)
Wink
Back to top Go down
dwi
Warlord
Warlord
dwi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 23:45

Well thats........ FREAKING GREAT! Never seen scuh a cool idea in my life, nice stuff man, nice stuff
Back to top Go down
Bean965
Hero
Hero
Bean965

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010 - 1:44

WOW! I love it - like a macabre Greek theater production.

Really nice painting - I wish i had your skills
Back to top Go down
hwd
Hero
Hero
hwd

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010 - 11:08

Thanks for more positive feedback, it's always nice to know people think what i'm doing is good!

ObsidianLord wrote:

I especially love your brutes! Can i ask where those big arms and weapons come from? Orcs?
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_wink

The brutes are indeed made from Orcs. They are basically an orc with a zombie head! The one with the raised mace has the standard bearer arms and the one with the lowered mace has normal arms cut up to fit the pose.

Bean965 wrote:
WOW! I love it - like a macabre Greek theater production.

Really nice painting - I wish i had your skills

I like to put a bit of thought into background etc, its as much a part of the hobby as painting and gaming in my view!
Bear in mind I will have been painting and gaming for 20 years come march so i've had a long time to practice painting! Trust me some of the stuff I have painted over the years is awful...
Keep practicing is my advice and never be afraid to try a new technique. Buy a box of models that you don't need and just try new things on them. I'd recommend beastmen as they have a bit of everything; metals, skin, fur!
Back to top Go down
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010 - 16:47

I the knocked down/stunned idea is great! I'll nick it right off!
Back to top Go down
hwd
Hero
Hero
hwd

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010 - 21:10

Got a very small bit of work done today.
I've decided to make some Wyrdstone counters with that 'match' the rest of the warband

Here is the 'tester' I put together this evening. The white plasticard will be painted the same as the stone bases, the sand will go brown to look like mud and the grey lump in the middle will be painted like wyrdstone

Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP CoC_00013

I've just sprayed it black and will post pictures of it painted tomorrow

Hope you like it

Hwd
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010 - 21:19

LOOKS GOOD...the paving stones have a nice shattered look to them. Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP 544694
Back to top Go down
hwd
Hero
Hero
hwd

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jan 2010 - 21:56

Okay as promised photo's of the completed wyrdstone counter;

Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP CoC_00012

I've also got basecoats done on the two Brutes but no photos as it's not really worth it...

C&C welcome please!
Back to top Go down
Jacko' lantern
General
General
Jacko' lantern

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jan 2010 - 18:51

kewl! awesome models! Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_smile

i love the idea of the warband telling a story(so much i wll nick the idea)
Back to top Go down
hwd
Hero
Hero
hwd

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeMon 18 Jan 2010 - 20:25

Had a productive weekend on all accounts; alot of my research written up and alot of painting done!

The two brutes are ready for whenever I managed to buy some scorched brown;

Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP CoC_0001
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP CoC_0006

Hopefully I'll get to a GW this week, I went last week one afternoon and it was only closed!

Comments etc welcome

Hwd
Back to top Go down
dwi
Warlord
Warlord
dwi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan 2010 - 8:29

Wow nice painting on the brutes, there in some skin on the weapon shafts but over all pretty good. Oh and the Zombie idea stolen Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
hwd
Hero
Hero
hwd

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeFri 22 Jan 2010 - 9:54

I knew the weapion shafts were not looking good... I've been waiting for a chance to buy some scorced brown paint so I could basecoat the brown areas, which will include the weapon shafts. boots etc.
Managed to pick up some paint yesterday so basecoats are done and hopefully either tonight or saturday I'll get highlights etc done and post new shiney piccies of the completed henchmen and brutes
Back to top Go down
hwd
Hero
Hero
hwd

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeSun 7 Feb 2010 - 11:21

I also managed to buy some brown paint and hence the models I had waiting for it in the carnival of chaos have now been completed ready for the upcoming campaign;

The Warriors - my brutes
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP 0018 Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP 0021

The Tallyman - a henchman
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP 0017

The Reaper - a henchman
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP 0015 Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP 0016

Just the Master and two Tainted Ones to go and the starting warband is complete!

C&C welcome as ever
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeSun 7 Feb 2010 - 12:03

VERY COOL! I LOVE your approach to the Carnival...VERY IMAGINATIVE. Keep up the GOOD WORK! Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP 544694
Back to top Go down
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeSun 7 Feb 2010 - 13:17

The choise of colours are great. Well done on these.

A good mix of bits to make them look coherent yet different!!!!
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
hwd
Hero
Hero
hwd

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeTue 23 Feb 2010 - 10:01

Okay o with a few weeks to spare the starting gang has been finished;

First up; the Grandfather, carnival magister
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Coc0012

And finally the whole gang ready to infect the fallen city and claim new recruits in the name of the gift giver; nurgle
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Coc0002
Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Coc0006

I now realise I have not posted any piccies of the two tainted ones on their own, I'll take some photos tomorrow and post them for your perusal!

Now all I need is to learn to play the game, make a few hidden counters and wyrdstone counters and i'm away!

C&C welcome as ever

Hwd
Back to top Go down
Dwalthrim_Grimsson
Veteran
Veteran
Dwalthrim_Grimsson

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitimeThu 4 Mar 2010 - 11:34

What a cool dwarfs, old race rox! Wink
I really like it!
Back to top Go down
http://debowatarcza.vot.pl/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP   Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carnival of Chaos Warband WIP
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next