Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help

Go down 
+6
Fungomungus
sartori
Shadowphx
Rudeboy
Ezekiel
Kpok
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Kpok
Hero
Hero
Kpok

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Empty
PostSubject: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 14:14

Hello everybody,
I have persuaded my wife to try out a game of Mordheim with me and I need your help now.
It
will be her first Tabletop game ever and my task is to infest her with
the TT virus because i want to play more Mordheim games with her Very Happy
As I bought the Mordheim game ten years ago and never played it, my experiencies are somewhat limited and so I need your help.
Wich
warband is the easiest to play for a Tabletop beginner? (at first I
want to concentrate on the 8 warbands from the rulebook)
In MMORPGs my wife prefers to be a Mage or Archer, so I think she might favorites the Reiklanders?
Another
problem is that she wants a completly female warband, so I need to look
for some female miniatures to represent her warband. (So the Sisters
might fit, but they lack the shooting ability)
Any advice is welcome

See you
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 14:25

I take it she's not new to the fantasy genre than? that's a plus... perhaps give it a shot with mercenaries, as they are easiest to comprehend (no freaky models/rules) and there are a lot of human female models.

Or you could go for skaven, painting them fairly light, claiming they are in fact female rats... though the parts aren't visible? Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 14:37

I agree, go for female miniatures for a Reiklander warband, that sounds optimal in this case Smile
Back to top Go down
Kpok
Hero
Hero
Kpok

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 14:54

Ezekiel wrote:

Or you could go for skaven, painting them fairly light, claiming they are in fact female rats... though the parts aren't visible? Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_razz
Hehe,
that reminds me of dwarves in the Lord of the rings universe^^
But she hates rats... Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Affraid
Back to top Go down
Rudeboy
Elder
Elder
Rudeboy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 15:13

Sister of Sigmar or Reiklanders

They are both good warbands with strait forward rules. They both can be made with a large number of women.

The nice thing about any of the Mercenary warbands is that you can usually put together a warband rather cheaply, all you have to do is purchase one unit of humans, and then fancy paint your heroes. So for $22 to $35 you can have a starter warband. Then as you go along you can purchase metal mini's for your heroes, and replace your fancy painted plastics which you can use as Lad Got Talent upgrade Henchmen.
Back to top Go down
Shadowphx
Warlord
Warlord
Shadowphx

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeMon 11 Jan 2010 - 20:39

The easiest way to “sucker” someone to liking Mordheim is for them to play Skaven. Fast, start out strong, and great weapons. Then you play a hard Band. I would play Possessed or Undead. Because they start out week so they get their butts handed to them pretty easily. Then when you’re playing, give lots of hints to beat you. When they’re winning and laughing and having and a good time. YOU’VE GOT THEM! Then after their Band is building and they start getting a little cocky about how they always can beat you. Then win one and Knock them back a notch. Then say, “Sometimes you win and sometimes you don’t.” That sets the Challenge. Game ON! Suggestion: Stick with just the main book to learn and get pretty familiar with, then latter, bring out the others. Remember, your trying to get them to like the game, so you winning is not the objective. When they like playing, That’s Your Win.

If you’re teaching someone who doesn’t like Rats, here’s a simple solution. Have her play Sisters, with lots of Sig. Hammers and Steel Whips. And you play Possessed or Undead. Sister’s will get Strength bonuses and she can have fun killing Zombies and stuff. OR, if you like, And wish to buy new models; there was a company that was selling Warrior Cat models. There was Lions, Tigers, Pumas, ect. Just use the rules and change the Fluff. OR, if you’re a modeler and fairly good with Green Stuff; model your extra Skaven with long Ears and fluffy tails, and call them Skaven Rabbits. Just an Idea.
Back to top Go down
sartori
General
General
sartori

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 0:30

Reiklanders sound perfect for her, and there should be plenty of models available from Reaper or other sources.
Back to top Go down
Fungomungus
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 1:09

Shadowphx wrote:

If you’re teaching someone who doesn’t like Rats, here’s a simple solution. Have her play Sisters, with lots of Sig. Hammers and Steel Whips. And you play Possessed or Undead. Sister’s will get Strength bonuses and she can have fun killing Zombies and stuff. OR, if you like, And wish to buy new models; there was a company that was selling Warrior Cat models. There was Lions, Tigers, Pumas, ect. Just use the rules and change the Fluff. OR, if you’re a modeler and fairly good with Green Stuff; model your extra Skaven with long Ears and fluffy tails, and call them Skaven Rabbits. Just an Idea.

Skabbits! I love the idea! With carrot shooters and ninja baby carrots. Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_albino
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 3:43

Technically Orcs are female from a biological standpoint Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help 2194
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 7:38

Mortimer wrote:
Technically Orcs are female from a biological standpoint Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help 2194

...ONLY if you follow GW's "found n the cabbage patch" theory of reproduction. Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Suspect
Back to top Go down
Kpok
Hero
Hero
Kpok

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 11:20

Thanks everybody for the advices.
We played our first Mordheim game yesterday.
I put together two warbands, Reiklanders for my wife and Middenheimer for me.
She has wiped the floor with my modells Very Happy
Her sharpshooters didn´t do any damage, but one of her youngbloods was a real killer...

After the match we used the campaign rules to determin the warbands progression, this part she liked most.

On the other hand she was very confused about the shooting and close combat.
First the to hit role, then the role to wound and then the injuries role. Not to mention the armor save role^^
How could I easily explain that to her...
I know that it is not hard to learn and in fact here are only 3-4 different dice roles, but for a tabletop beginner it can be confusing
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 12:28

"The first roll is to see if you hit them ... the better your WS or BS the more accurate your blows are, the second roll is to see if the attack hurts them determined by how strong the attacker is and how tough the defender is, the third roll is to see how badly injured they are from the attack, if they can continue the battle ... the fourth roll is to see if that 50 gc armour you bought saves your warrior's butt"

Best I can think to explain it. If it hits, how hard it hits, how badly your hit, if your armour saves you from being hit at all.
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 12:38

any human mercs are straight forward enough to learn the basics.

Hero
Hero
Kpok

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010 - 10:35

Little update.
we played the second game yesterday and she wiped the floor with my models once again Very Happy
I am realy optimistic that she might get influenced by the Mordheim virus because it was her proposal to play a second game *crossing fingers*

But I have a new question.
She roled the Lad´s got talent for one of her henchmen after the battle.
The henchmen group has 2 experience points, so the new hero starts with 2 exp.
You get one advance role for free but with the second exp point you would get another advance role, is that right?

Sorry for all those newbee questions
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010 - 10:42

Kpok wrote:
But I have a new question.
She roled the Lad´s got talent for one of her henchmen after the battle.
The henchmen group has 2 experience points, so the new hero starts with 2 exp.
You get one advance role for free but with the second exp point you would get another advance role, is that right?

Sorry for all those newbee questions

I don't think so, it is the same for starting heroes .... I Captain doesn't roll advances for the 20 experience he starts with.

The henchman turned hero does however retain any advances they gained during their tenure in a henchman group though.
Back to top Go down
Dmig
Knight
Knight
Dmig

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeWed 13 Jan 2010 - 21:45

A henchman gets one extra advance roll after he becomes a hero to represent the fact that advancing to a hero has not altered the warrior's stats. Any exp earned as a henchman is simply marked on the sheet in much the same as a hero's starting exp
Back to top Go down
Kpok
Hero
Hero
Kpok

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitimeThu 14 Jan 2010 - 10:01

Ah ok, thank you
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help   Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Easiest warband for a Tabletop beginner? Need help
Page 1 of 1