Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Priest of Ulric

Go down 
+6
Pervavita
Dwalthrim_Grimsson
Aldhick
WarbossKurgan
Meister Ostalgie
Cian Shieldbiter
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Cian Shieldbiter
Knight
Knight
Cian Shieldbiter

Trading Reputation : 0

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009 - 15:20

Hi folk, im thinking of building a Middenheimer warband for a campaign in the new year and have a couple of questions
1 i want to use a priest of Ulric and he will replace a champion slot in
my starting warband, does his strenth go up to 4 as it would for a
champion ?
2 Do hired swords come with weapons or do you have to buy them
seperatly as there is no description of what he is armed with ?

Many thanks
Cian Shieldbiter
Back to top Go down
Meister Ostalgie
Champion
Champion
Meister Ostalgie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009 - 15:32

1) Each model comes with a Profile and a maximum for each Characteristic in his Profile. In this case, I think the Priest has the maximum Profile for a Human model, for which I think indeed S4 is the maximum. Check it out though, in the description of the Priest. Who knows he has a different maximum Profile. Don't count on it though ; )
2) They come with weapons, which you cannot take away or change for other weapons. They do get XP, but they will always be using the same equipment, weapons and armour as with which these come when you hire them.

Many welcomes
; )
Back to top Go down
Cian Shieldbiter
Knight
Knight
Cian Shieldbiter

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009 - 16:09

Thanks for the quick reply Meister Ostalgie, im getting my stats from Town Cryer 8 which states ST 3 and only lists a wolf cloak in his equipment. It does tell you which weapons he is able to use - is it just a case of choosing from the options listed ?
In the middenheimer rules it says that all champions (and captains) start with strength 4 and im assuming that because the priest takes a champion slot he gets ST4 as a champion would ???

Cian Shieldbiter
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009 - 17:20

He isn't a "Hired Sword" he's a normal warband Hero.

He does not get the Champions S4. He could get S4 from experience but he wouldn't automatically start with it if it's not on his profile.

http://www.mordheimer.com/hired_swords/hs_wolf_priest.htm

Quote :
Weapons/Armor: Wolf Priests may not use any armor, trusting only in Ulric's protection. The only exception is that every Wolf Priest is garbed in a cloak made from the pelt of a white wolf: 6+ save. The cost of the cloak is included in the cost of the priest. Wolf Priests prefer the use of blunt weapons to those with edges, and thus may only use hammers, maces, clubs, flails, morning stars, and the two-handed version of any of these. The exception to this is the ubiquitous dagger that most models carry.

You have to buy him weapons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Anonymous

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009 - 17:26

IMO, I would say he dont, as he is not a "Champion", he is a Priest of Ulric.
Back to top Go down
Aldhick
Veteran
Veteran
Aldhick

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeTue 15 Dec 2009 - 13:55

At this moment I play Middenheimers and I also started priest with S3. No rule sais he should have S4. In addition, he's got a nasty wolf companion for that ridiculous price to make it up for his S3 :-) .
Back to top Go down
Cian Shieldbiter
Knight
Knight
Cian Shieldbiter

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeTue 15 Dec 2009 - 14:20

Thanks for the clarification folk, i too intend to take the wolf companion option.

Cian Shieldbiter
Back to top Go down
Dwalthrim_Grimsson
Veteran
Veteran
Dwalthrim_Grimsson

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeThu 1 Mar 2012 - 13:48

I have a question: Wolf Comapnion is immune to the psychology as Ulric's messenger?
Back to top Go down
http://debowatarcza.vot.pl/
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Amazons (Unofficial) Amazons (Unofficial)

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2012 - 17:21

Dwalthrim_Grimsson wrote:
I have a question: Wolf Comapnion is immune to the psychology as Ulric's messenger?
I would say no unless I miss the print some place that it says that it's immune to psychology.

Got my own question.
Where is this game option listed? I know it was in TC 8 (from what I have read looking it up) but is it in the Annual as well (and I am missing it) or some other place that makes it "offical"?
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2012 - 18:06

As far as I know the Priest was never declared official. I would recommend you instead use the excellent Miracle Workers article from the rather suspicious Liber Malefic team. The article can be found here

Considering the quality of the material produced by the Liber Malefic I don't think you need to worry about it being unbalanced.
Back to top Go down
http://echoesofimperium.blog
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2012 - 20:21

Thank you.
I see the only problem with it all is the priest don't replace heroes but add to them and thus say a Merc band can start with 6 heroes.
Has this been a balance issue for people?
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Personal Info

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2012 - 21:27

Actually there was a debate on this issue and Werekin backed down and changed it so the priest replace a hero
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2012 - 21:34

ok that makes sense... with that said do the rules (as the doc doesn't say) specify what hero?
Could I for example opt out of a young blood or champ?
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Personal Info

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2012 - 22:09

Any hero, not the leader, can be changed for the priest
Back to top Go down
Pervavita
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pervavita

Personal Info

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2012 - 22:43

thx, look forward to playing with these rules. It should be fun to try them out.
Back to top Go down
Grumbaki
Knight
Knight
Grumbaki

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeMon 22 Oct 2012 - 0:11

http://sd2cx1.webring.org/l/rd?ring=mordheim;id=11;url=http%3A%2F%2Fmordheimer%2Ecom%2F

Says here that they replace one of the champions. Seems more fair than replacing a youngblood, otherwise why wouldn't you take a wolf priest?
Back to top Go down
Alex
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Alex

Personal Info

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeMon 22 Oct 2012 - 15:02

The mordheimer's excellent site is a bit out of date. Furthermore he is refering to the wolf priest that was featured in Town Cryer, not the one from the Miracle Workers article. If I remember correctly Werekin has stated that the priests can replace any hero except for the leader, but a priest may become the warband leader later on.
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeTue 23 Oct 2012 - 5:45

There are two versions of rules for the Wolfpriest of Ulric. The first was released by GW but was never made official. The second was released by Werekin in the Miracle Workers article. Grumbaki is correct that the GW rules for the Wolfpriest say that it must replace a champion.

You can find the discussion about the Miracle Workers article where Werekin changed the rules for how priests in that article are hired (they now replace any existing hero type) in this forum thread here:
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/t5284-priests-of-the-empire

I have played the GW Wolfpriest several times in the past but I have not yet had a chance to play with the version from Miracle Workers. Even before the Miracle Workers article we were flexible in allowing the GW Wolfpriest to be hired instead of a champion or a youngblood hero type and I don't see any issue with this houserule for the GW version.
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitimeSat 1 Dec 2012 - 19:40

So one of our players in the current campaign started over. He was looking at Middenheimers and I suggested he consider using a Miracle Workers Priest of Ulric. He read the rules and laughed at me. I read the rules and was embarrassed that I had suggested it. Pretty big nerf for a warrior that wasn't used that much to begin with. A Youngblood is a better deal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Priest of Ulric Empty
PostSubject: Re: Priest of Ulric   Priest of Ulric Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Priest of Ulric
Page 1 of 1