Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The Unstoppable Charge

Go down 
+7
Aldhick
Asp
magokiron
Meister Ostalgie
someone2040
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Figgy
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

The Unstoppable Charge Empty
PostSubject: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009 - 7:10

A question on interpreting the skill Unstoppable charge (+1 Ws when charging).
I have noticed that other skills that come into effect when charging (Expert Swordsman for example) has stated in them that the effecct lasts only for the first turn of combat. The Unstoppable Charge skill does NOT say that the effects are limited, but simply states you get +1 Ws when charging.

Does that mean the model has +1 Ws against that opponent the whole combat???
Back to top Go down
Figgy
Elder
Elder
Figgy

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009 - 7:16

I would just say this was an overlook. According to the name, I would say first round only, which makes it a kinda crappy skill if you ask me! >_<
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009 - 10:03

yeah, but concider this:
A normal charge move makes you strike first, ass your character gains momentum.
The unstoppable charge maintains that momentum and the ferociousness with which you attack is kept up as momentum is. That way, I could see a logic behind having +1 ws the whole combat. Also, as you said, if not, it is quite a crappy skill.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 2:35

Ive never seen anyone take this skill. An additional +1 ws is just not that impressive when you need double+1 your opponent's WS in order to make them hit you on a 5+.

If it were +1 the whole combat it might be worth it, or +1 to hit the first round it would be exceptional. Sadly i think the intent was just for it to work in the first round only.
Back to top Go down
someone2040
Warrior
Warrior
someone2040

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 2:47

I would certainly consider it on my Possessed who hasn't got a single weaponskill upgrade so far. Weaponskill 5 is a step up from 4 since Henchmen generally get to 4 in no time. But yeah, not if it was only the first round of combat which this seems to imply.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 6:52

Hm, I see your point, and agree, it seems taht way. It is just strange that other skills state that it is just for the first turn, and doesnt so in this skill description. Maybe a TypeO?
Back to top Go down
Meister Ostalgie
Champion
Champion
Meister Ostalgie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeSat 12 Dec 2009 - 16:29

+1 Ws when charging means it only works when charging. So that's when you charge and deal your attacks, and when you receive counter-attacks in your turn's close combat-phase. After that, the other player's turn begins, and the charge is over; it becomes a 'standard' close-combat fight, in which neither model is charging.

Not very useful this Skill.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeSat 12 Dec 2009 - 17:08

Meister Ostalgie wrote:
+1 Ws when charging means it only works when charging. So that's when you charge and deal your attacks, and when you receive counter-attacks in your turn's close combat-phase. After that, the other player's turn begins, and the charge is over; it becomes a 'standard' close-combat fight, in which neither model is charging.

Not very useful this Skill.

I must say you are right. *sigh* can sthis skill be tweaked in a semi-official way? Maybe change it form +1 Ws to +1 to all To Hit rolls???
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeSat 12 Dec 2009 - 18:09

Opheliate wrote:
I must say you are right. *sigh* can sthis skill be tweaked in a semi-official way? Maybe change it form +1 Ws to +1 to all To Hit rolls???
Yeah.

+1 WS for 1 turn (and ONLY when charging) seems like crap.

+1 TO HIT the first round seems like a much more useful skill, and I think this should be suggested to DA BANK, in the relevant thread about Mordheim clarifications.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeSat 12 Dec 2009 - 22:12

severely underpowered skill

suggested fix:

+1 to hit when charging and cannot be intercepted
Back to top Go down
http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeSun 13 Dec 2009 - 8:10

Yeah, agreed. If hes unstoppable, he shouldnt be able to be intercepted either, good suggestion.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeSun 13 Dec 2009 - 8:12

+1
Back to top Go down
Meister Ostalgie
Champion
Champion
Meister Ostalgie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009 - 15:40

The 'immune to interceptions' idea is just great. It basically does what the name of the Skill says! How obvious!

If you decide to alter the Skill in this way, I would keep it to +1 WS when charging though. Otherwise it'll get overpowered.

General note: some Skills seem rather useless. On the other, you will mostly pick them last, or use them in combination with one specific weapon making it a useful skill again. So, from my point of view, one shouldn't try to make every item, object or skill in the game be super nice. If you really can't find any use for the skill, pick it last. Or not at all. You can't go level up forever.
Back to top Go down
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009 - 16:42

+1 to hit is nothing compared to a 5+ ward save (step aside)
Back to top Go down
http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeMon 14 Dec 2009 - 17:24

Meister Ostalgie wrote:

If you decide to alter the Skill in this way, I would keep it to +1 WS when charging though. Otherwise it'll get overpowered.

General note: some Skills seem rather useless. On the other, you will mostly pick them last, or use them in combination with one specific weapon making it a useful skill again. So, from my point of view, one shouldn't try to make every item, object or skill in the game be super nice. If you really can't find any use for the skill, pick it last. Or not at all. You can't go level up forever.

IMO, it would not overpower the skill. This is why:
1 - Being intercepted isn't something that often happens, and if it does, it often mounts down to bad strategic moves (or, indeed, good ones!)
2 - +1 Ws for onw round often makes NO difference at all, as the only results you can have "to hit" are 3+ to 5+. You get 3+ to hit if your opponent has lower Ws than you. You get 5+ to hit if your opponent has MORE than double your Ws.

That means that if a Ws 4 hero with Unstoppable charge, charging a warrior with Ws 3, the attacking hero gets 5 Ws the first turn. What happens then? Well, nothing. Still 3+ to hit for you, and 4+ for the enemy.

Your Hero must face a Ws 2 enemy to have the enemy need 5+ to hit. And still, it is only for the first turn of combat...

To have situations like that when a skill does absolutely nothing, and also only does "absolutely nothing" for the first turn of combat, it is seriously bad. IMO, i think the writers made a typeo, and meant for it to be +1 To Hit, not +1 Ws. The Unstoppable Charge Icon_surprised
Back to top Go down
Meister Ostalgie
Champion
Champion
Meister Ostalgie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeTue 15 Dec 2009 - 10:01

The +1WS would be an extra. Main reason to take the skill is the newly invented characteristic of 'Immune to Interceptions', as suggested by its name.

Seriously, I think it can be rather helpful. Example: Imagine me, Ostlanders (about 14 models atm), playing against Possessed (4 Heroes only, early campaign)... if The Possessed is positioned in such a way it can intercept most charges (on my Ogres behalve, of maybe my two BBs), I can never really charge any of the Mutants (weak compared to my Ogre). Now if my Ogre had unstoppable charge, I can just move into base-contact with both Mutants (if possible, as a charge) and perhaps even take both OOA before the Possessed warband can move again.
If I don't have the skill, The Possessed might intercept, killing more than likely my Ogre before it can even do anything (well.. it charges, so it can deal its 3 attacks before the Possessed strikes back. Butthen the Possessed has 4S5 attacks now, 1S6... no fun!).

Just a thought. I am not really experienced, but this is a situation I imagine happening more often.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeTue 15 Dec 2009 - 10:52

Yeah, but not so often that it makes sense of the skill. Also, a good stretgy makes it obsolete, as you can use your warband members to simply maneouver in a way that makes interceptions less common. Also, if you know that the possessed can (and probably will) intercept you, you just dont charge, and maneouver in a different way.

At least that is how I would play it.
Back to top Go down
Aldhick
Veteran
Veteran
Aldhick

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeTue 15 Dec 2009 - 13:40

I like +1 to hit and Cannot be intercept thing, and I don't thing it makes it overpowered, compared for example with Mighty blow, which gives +1 S and works every turn of CC.

But it seems you have forgotten the dwarf special skill Berserkr, that gives +1 to hit in first round of CC. The Unstoppable charge adjustment now makes it useless..
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeTue 15 Dec 2009 - 15:51

hm... a problem then. Maybe if they can be added together??? +2 to hit when charging if you have both skills Razz
Back to top Go down
Aldhick
Veteran
Veteran
Aldhick

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec 2009 - 8:30

Opheliate wrote:
hm... a problem then. Maybe if they can be added together??? +2 to hit when charging if you have both skills Razz
yeah and +3 when you use diving charge The Unstoppable Charge Icon_pirat
Back to top Go down
Meister Ostalgie
Champion
Champion
Meister Ostalgie

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec 2009 - 11:48

Lol. Jeah ... it seems all things in the game have some sort of reason, even if it's a vague one. I didn't even know about that Dwarf Skill. It's better to change things if you know the game thoroughly, so you don't mess up something because you don't know about a certain rule.

But that's where this forum comes in handy!
Back to top Go down
frog
Veteran
Veteran
frog

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ogres (BTB) Ogres (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec 2009 - 16:22

could this have anything to do with the Albion barbarians special skill?

Attack Howl
: Barbarians always use war howls when
fighting each other. This Barbarian is a real master, capable of imitating
the howls of wild beasts. If a warrior with this skill charges, he receives
a bonus of +2 instead of the normal +1 for charging.

http://www.mordheimer.com/warbands/experimental/albion_barbarian.htm

im going to be using this warband soon, but i don't have a clue what this skill is!
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec 2009 - 18:35

Looks like they forgot what charging does in Mordheim and mistook it for the Necromunda combat system.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeWed 16 Dec 2009 - 19:18

Hmm, Asp that is a great idea to include immunity to interceptions in the skill. I will run this by my group and see if we include it in our house rules.
Back to top Go down
Matumaros
Champion
Champion
Matumaros

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitimeFri 18 Dec 2009 - 0:31

Woah!!! The Unstoppable Charge Icon_eek The Unstoppable Charge Icon_surprised
Humongous idea there Asp, seriously! The Unstoppable Charge Icon_cool The Unstoppable Charge Icon_bounce
So simple, so good!

Maybe it's just that here we're all weirdos, but in our games interception is always an important if not crucial factor.
I explain myself, not that interception in itself happens a lot, but that's because we simply tend to refuse to charge when we see a possible interceptor in the way, thus possibly getting our warriors in troublesome situations (like next turn I got counter charged by what I was going to charge myself, maybe even just to stop it where it was...).
Interception and counter charging affects a lot our tactical movement, particularly if you consider that strength lies in numbers, so you're gonna see that "panzer" formation a lot (many models advancing close to each other, and that's mean when coupled by some good moving-shooting [slings anyone?]).

From my perspective (and particularly considering I often play besties, so CC is my daily and only bread *sigh*) being able to avoid interception alone would be just great!!!

So I'd take "unstoppable charge" even if it was just "immune to interception", even without any kind of hitting bonus.

Cheers!!!

P.S.: This idea Asp is some of the stuff that makes house ruling good, congrats man!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Unstoppable Charge   The Unstoppable Charge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Unstoppable Charge
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next