Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!

Go down 
+4
lord siwoc
magokiron
Myntokk
Mordheimer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: None

dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Empty
PostSubject: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 0:15

I did an experiment to simulate a 'rookie' painter dipping models, so to test the technique to the fullest by painting a 5 man Squad of Dark Angels Terminators. It yielded impressive results. Here are some side-by-side (up-by-down?) pictures of the before and after. Razz For more detailed pictures (in different angles, criteria for painting, details on the project, etc.) visit Death Squads Forum. Feel free to post there (or here... whatever!) your comments. Smile ENJOY!

dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorA-01Base
dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorA-01Final

dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorB-01Base
dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorB-01Final

dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorC-01Base
dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorC-01Final

dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorD-01Base
dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorD-01Final

dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorE-01Base
dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! TerminatorE-01Final
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 4:01

affraid
WOW.

I must say, I'm actually quite impressed with the turnout here. I've attempted dipping in the past, and was always either disappointed with the result or was unable to procure the same dipping medium for second attempts. These guys really look pretty darn good though. No substitute for a really well painted mini, of course, and especially on character models I think I'll stick to the old fashioned way, but next time I need a regiment of 30 dwarfs battle-ready for the next day I'll keep something like this in mind. It seems like a fast method for producing presentable models, and especially useful for those that lean towards "gamer" much more than "painter" - everyone still wants a pretty army!
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 4:59

Pretty good mate! dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 8:02

Dipping can work for you.

And it sure has here, well done mate
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 9:10

Thanks everyone! Very Happy

Myntokk is 100% correct. There is no substitute for 'advanced' painting techniques... but if you have to paint 200 cannon fodder models (for example regular Skavens), then dipping them is a viable option. Leaving you plenty of time for your character and special models. This was the point of the exercise. It proves beyond doubt that there is no reason excuse for having an unpainted army. Like a friend said, the base paint simulated the painting style of his "4 year old cousin"... and he could dip the models and get THOSE results?! Shocked With proper basing and decals you could have a superior table-top quality models with ease.

I will have my 9 and 3 year old children paint a model each... then have them dip them. Then we can all go... "you have an unpainted army? Dude, a 3 year old can have a decent army and I can prove it!" Razz I'm a purist... love to paint! For me, is back to painting the 'hard' way... but now I can truly help those who are not talented or unwilling to try so they can enjoy the hobby!
Back to top Go down
Skavenblight
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Skavenblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 9:36

Great "dipjob" man Smile Nice way to get many painted minis fast Smile
Back to top Go down
http://hakostwo.blogspot.com
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 10:47

wait can you explain the steps to me? I hate painting and anything that would speed it up would be the biz Smile
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 10:58

There is a decided improvement in appearance in the "before & after" photos. VERY NICE STUFF! dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! 544694
I think I'll stick with my SLOW ever-evolving style however; re, I enjoy the painting process, &, with the price of minis nowadays, savoring each piece is more satisfying, at least, for moi. dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Suspect
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 18:08

very nice
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeThu 3 Dec 2009 - 22:02

mrbretonnia wrote:
wait can you explain the steps to me? I hate painting and anything that would speed it up would be the biz Smile
Here's a good dipping tutorial from our own tutorials forum, using Army Painter. I believe that's the same thing Mordheimer used, isn't it? I've seen it recommended several times and it appears to get the job done pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec 2009 - 0:30

Thanks for the kind comments.

I created my own tutorial based on that one (which I requested help back then) and the information on The Army Painter. Step by Step with high-res pictures. Check them out at the Death Squads' Forum. ENJOY!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec 2009 - 4:56

Ah varnish...yuck. they cant be stripped later Sad
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec 2009 - 10:32

mrbretonnia wrote:
Ah varnish...yuck. they cant be stripped later dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_sad

Sure they can. Just soak them in the solvent of your choice...I'm an ammonia Guy myself...AND, with a bit of scrubbing, off it comes. ACTUALLY the sealer can help take off the underlying paint...we work in a VERY forgiving medium. dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! 544694
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec 2009 - 11:33

DeafNala wrote:
mrbretonnia wrote:
Ah varnish...yuck. they cant be stripped later dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_sad

Sure they can. Just soak them in the solvent of your choice...I'm an ammonia Guy myself...AND, with a bit of scrubbing, off it comes. ACTUALLY the sealer can help take off the underlying paint...we work in a VERY forgiving medium. dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! 544694

Really?! oh thats awesome. Ive always thought that varnish is there for ever. I will definatly be giving this technique a try in the near future.
Back to top Go down
lord siwoc
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
lord siwoc

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec 2009 - 11:51

Just be damn carefull!!!

1. The fumes, ventilate or do it outside.
2. Does plastic not dissolve in solvent?
Back to top Go down
http://www.lordsiwoc.dk
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec 2009 - 12:28

lord siwoc wrote:
Just be damn carefull!!!

1. The fumes, ventilate or do it outside.
2. Does plastic not dissolve in solvent?

Some of the harsher solvents soften plastics; most are okay. The ammonia DOES soften Crazy Glue; SO...if assembled with CG, the mini will most likely come apart in the scrubbing part of clean up.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec 2009 - 14:23

crazy glue that gave me a laugh Smile Will acitone do the job like it does for normal paint? because normaly I just steal my sisters nail polish remover.
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeFri 4 Dec 2009 - 15:37

Don't use acetone on plastic models as they will get damaged.

For plastics use dot 3 brake fluid or Simple Green (if it's available in Aus) for best results.

Dot 4 brake fluid can damage plastics but only over long periods. It does work faster than the dot 3 though.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitimeSat 5 Dec 2009 - 4:19

Ah should have mentioned, I use metals. All metal HE and vostroyan FTW Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!   dark - 40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

40k Dark Angels Terminators... DIPPED!
Page 1 of 1