Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands

Go down 
+7
whisper2053
catferret
Da Bank
Von Kurst
WarbossKurgan
ChildOfKhorne
Mortimer
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009 - 4:59

Oh I like the idea behind the magic (though I guess Serenity and Balance have more outwards effects, still) but yes, the rolling against stats looks like it wouldn't balance to easily.

I was abit suspect on Acrobat too, but looking at the skill it lets one fall from a great height without taking damage on a single initiative test and allows one to re-roll diving charges ... two things I can see a tiger doing ... so not exactly a cartwheeling, backflipping, tight rope walking Tiger, but cat like reflexes and a talent of pouncing.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009 - 5:57

Mortimer wrote:
Oh I like the idea behind the magic (though I guess Serenity and Balance have more outwards effects, still) but yes, the rolling against stats looks like it wouldn't balance to easily.

I was abit suspect on Acrobat too, but looking at the skill it lets one fall from a great height without taking damage on a single initiative test and allows one to re-roll diving charges ... two things I can see a tiger doing ... so not exactly a cartwheeling, backflipping, tight rope walking Tiger, but cat like reflexes and a talent of pouncing.

why not just encorperate the two into a "feline reflexes" just to make sure people dont have a problem with it.
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009 - 6:14

mrbretonnia wrote:
Mortimer wrote:

why not just encorperate the two into a "feline reflexes" just to make sure people dont have a problem with it.

Thats really what the 'Jungle Stalker' rule was.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat 28 Nov 2009 - 12:00

YEah, I can totally see a Tiger doing THAT, but still, to keep it simple, and not bury oneself too much in reality. To do that, one owuld have to make the Giant Rats of the skaven starting with scale sheer surfaces, as rats often do just that. No, I would vote for a simpler approach, and let the Tiger keep the Leap skill, and then just let him have 5 Initiative to represent his reflexes. That way, we can still tell from his stats that he is really good at jumping, balancing and such, but without making him too complicated. Besides, how many times do you actually see your Tiger falling down a building? Now, mind you, this is only my opinion, and if you agree with MrBret then by all means, go with it Smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 0:45

Opheliate wrote:
YEah, I can totally see a Tiger doing THAT, but still, to keep it simple, and not bury oneself too much in reality. To do that, one owuld have to make the Giant Rats of the skaven starting with scale sheer surfaces, as rats often do just that. No, I would vote for a simpler approach, and let the Tiger keep the Leap skill, and then just let him have 5 Initiative to represent his reflexes. That way, we can still tell from his stats that he is really good at jumping, balancing and such, but without making him too complicated. Besides, how many times do you actually see your Tiger falling down a building? Now, mind you, this is only my opinion, and if you agree with MrBret then by all means, go with it Smile

This sounds pretty good to be honest
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 0:47

Fair enough, drop acrobatic and keep leap, should a Tiger retain the ability to climb?
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 5:25

Yes. Actually I had never seen a rule that animals couldn't climb, but that could just be the way we play... Horses can't climb. Dogs can do stairs (and as photos have proven they can climb ladders as long as they are going up...) Sartosan monkeys climb. We let rats do what they want, 'cause rats do. And tigers, our tigers climb!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 5:42

Lets rephrace it then: Can Tigers climb buildings? They CAN climb trees, and I'd say it requires the surface to be of wood, but yes, I'd also say can climb, as one should aim to keep it simple, and in real life, Tigers can climb (trees and such anyways)
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 5:46

Warband Special Rule

Exotic Goods
Ind is a land of vast riches and many come from far and wide to trade in its wealth of spices, ivory and precious gems. As such it is often for an Ind Warrior warband to carry many finely ornamented weapons, bejeweled blades, ivory hilted daggers and the like, not to mention the Rajah can often sway a merchant with promises of rare spices and jewels to come. An Ind Warrior Warband may always sell equipment at full price.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 6:09

Why not?

+1
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 6:15

I really dont like that. It doesnt seem realistic in that no merchant would purchase something for the same price they would sell. While it may be that they carry jewelled weapons with them, they are purchasing all their things from the mordheim locals, not their own merchants thousands of miles away. Another issue is that it doesnt encourage saving up for things like every other warband has to do eg;

Hmmm I want a suit of gromril armour, lucky I dont have to miss out arming all my guys while I try to afford it, because I can just sell their gear and then sell my old armour to get their stuff back.

Its a nice idea, but not practical. Perhaps give the warband an once an encounter skill (like haggle).
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 6:22

How about they can sell ONE item at full price after each game?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun 29 Nov 2009 - 7:57

sounds a lot better, and ypou wont get a bunch of bad looks when you find an armourer or something and get a whole bunch of gold Razz
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 10 Dec 2009 - 20:52

Well I haven't forgotten this and have even been schooled abit in Indian history, so I purpose these changes.

Warriors = Kshatriyas - This is the Indian Warrior caste, so more appropriate than the generic 'warrior' other than that it is the same.

Dervish = Maiden Guard - mrbret wasn't far off actually and though the Rajah wouldn't have his dancing girls to the battle they didn't let men guard their women ... the Maiden Guard therefor being like a bodyguard to him as well.

Swami was suggested instead of Guru (from what I can tell a Guru is a master, a Swami is training towards being a master).

There was also mention of Jungle Tribesmen being hired as mercenaries, typically armed with bows and poisoned arrows, not sure perhaps a replacement for slaves?

So what do you guys think of these little renamings?
Back to top Go down
whisper2053
Captain
Captain
whisper2053

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 0:04

I'm definitely liking the warband so far, and the proposed changes just suddenly feel...right. You keep this up and, with your permission, I'd be more than happy to playtest this with our group as my second exotic warband (after my Khemrians).
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 0:55

I'd be happy if you playtested it, gives me more incentive to complete it ... afraid it got shuffled back with finishing up my Nuln list and the Holiday Season.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 6:54

You are keeping the Tigers, though, right? Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 7:27

Opheliate wrote:
You are keeping the Tigers, though, right? Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_smile

Oh no, they definitely have to go ...

Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_razz
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 9:26

Aw, too bad Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_rolleyes
Back to top Go down
Gen.Steiner
Warrior
Warrior
Gen.Steiner

Location : London, England, UK, NW Europe, Earth, the Solar System, Milky Way, the Universe, the Multiverse; wh

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 15:41

Glad you removed the Dervishes, I kept going "No! The whirling Dervish is an Ottoman thing!"

Tigers should also be out, so good on that front.

The general theme of the warband seems to be a junior prince from the Kingdoms of Ind adventuring abroad to see the world and have some exotic adventures in the North.

So... in that vein... instead of having Maidenguard, have 0-2 'Bodyguard' (who can be women if you like), 0-1 Swami, and then a 'Prince's Friends' category, sort of like youngbloods.

Warriors seem OK - perhaps have:

Kshatriya - warriors (WS4) - swords, spears, chakram, etc
Hill Tribesmen - marksmen types (BS4?) - bows, slings, muskets, etc
Tribesmen - poorer warriors able to use bows as well (WS/BS3).

And for the animal lovers, why not have something funky like 'Poisonous Snake' for the Swami - 1 extra Poisoned Attack in h-t-h?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 16:24

OR, use the Mumak for LotR to make elephant riders! That actually is fluff /though the mumak models are too large to be normal elephants, but still).

Also, i dont think you should separate Tribesmen and Hill Tribesmen. Just merge them, and maybe add an alltogether new unit type.

Wildmen
M4
Ws3
Bs3
S3
T3
W1
I4
Ld7

Access to javelins, bows, blowpipes and slings. Close combat = Spears, Clubs, Daggers.

Maybe too complicated. I dunno if it is very fluffy either...
Back to top Go down
Pfreck
Warlord
Warlord
Pfreck

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 19:14

I love this idea! I've always been willing to play an Ind warband sometime!

The idea's are great so far. Can I suggest something, or rather show you guys something?
An old friend of mine did some Fan Art for the Kingdoms of Ind. I for one am really inspired by his artwork to start converting an Ind warband.

I haven't seen him in ages, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing his artwork.

Nick Egberts on DeviantART

Check this out! Seriously! Razz

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
http://pfreck.tumblr.com
whisper2053
Captain
Captain
whisper2053

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Restless Dead (BTB) Restless Dead (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 19:52

Any idea when you'll have what would effectively be a 'beta' warband writeup? I'd probably be proxying minis to run this, but I'd be more than happy to do up the battle reports as well as my comments on the list when it's ready.

Just keep me informed Smile
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 21:22

Pfreck wrote:

Wow, this is some amazing stuff!!

Do you think he would be interested in doing some Gierburg stuff?
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Mortimer
Warlord
Warlord
Mortimer

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 11 Dec 2009 - 21:32

Gen.Steiner wrote:
Glad you removed the Dervishes, I kept going "No! The whirling Dervish is an Ottoman thing!"

I know the Dervishes where in India as well, but yeah, it didn't feel compeltely right.

Quote :
Tigers should also be out, so good on that front.

Tough, tamed Tigers where popular in that time period of India and battle tigers just seem ... Warhammery.

Quote :
The
general theme of the warband seems to be a junior prince from the
Kingdoms of Ind adventuring abroad to see the world and have some
exotic adventures in the North.

Yep

Quote :
So... in that vein... instead of
having Maidenguard, have 0-2 'Bodyguard' (who can be women if you
like), 0-1 Swami, and then a 'Prince's Friends' category, sort of like
youngbloods.

Nah, the Youngblood option seems alittle to obligatory lately, I'll stick to Maiden Guard.

Quote :
Warriors seem OK - perhaps have:

Kshatriya - warriors (WS4) - swords, spears, chakram, etc
Hill Tribesmen - marksmen types (BS4?) - bows, slings, muskets, etc
Tribesmen - poorer warriors able to use bows as well (WS/BS3).

Don't see why they should be tougher than normal warriors, so far I have Kshatriya and Tribesmen, who have access to some more primitive weapons.

Quote :
And
for the animal lovers, why not have something funky like 'Poisonous
Snake' for the Swami - 1 extra Poisoned Attack in h-t-h?

I'll stick to the Tigers Smile

Pfreck wrote:
I love this idea! I've always been willing to play an Ind warband sometime!

Hope it suits you when its in beta.

Quote :
The idea's are great so far. Can I suggest something, or rather show you guys something?
An old friend of mine did some Fan Art for the Kingdoms of Ind. I for one am really inspired by his artwork to start converting an Ind warband.

I haven't seen him in ages, but I'm sure he wouldn't mind me sharing his artwork.

Check this out! Seriously! Razz

Cheers!

Thats some great stuff, maybe if I can get ahold of him I'll ask permission to use those to decorate my Ind doc.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands   Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Help me Brainstorm: Ind Warbands
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next