Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Space Crusade - worth it?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Space Crusade - worth it? Empty
PostSubject: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeSun 22 Nov 2009 - 21:33

Hey guys,

I was doodling around on BoardGameGeek last night and came accross the game Space Crusade, which I had never heard of before, and wanted to get your opinions on it.

I've never played Space Hulk, which looks very similar, but have been a HUGE fan of Hero Quest for as long as I can remember, and also played Siege of the Citadel (a Mutant Chronicles board game, if anyone remembers that old wargame) religiously with my brothers and friends as a kid. So just getting opinions on the game - if it plays pretty well, etc. Also wondering about the expansions, to see if either/both is definitely worth getting. I'd be lying if I didn't say that a secondary motivator wasn't the minis, which although very obviously dated are cool! I have a soft spot for vintage figures, plastic or otherwise.

Thoughts and opinions?
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009 - 2:51

We played it once when our local shop through on a game night at the local library to get more people into gaming. Great game, had alot of fun, but not very 'verse' in it. The xpacs I have no clue on. Sorry, not much to go on atm but only one game worth here.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009 - 3:11

I OWN that game (along with HEROQUEST and BATTLEMASTERS, the 3 combined efforts MB+GW) and I must say that IMHO this is the worst of the 3.

Maybe is just that 99 % + of the time I bend to a "Fantasy" setting in preference to a "SciFi" setting, but anyhow...

In some senses its very similar to SPACE HULK, but including orks, gretchins, necrons, chaos space marines and genestealers.

If you can get it REALLY CHEAP, and if you like that kind of SciFi settings, then by all means get it, but as the game no longer has any support, there are no new missions or variables, and iirc don't have a great fan based support (as HQ does).

I don't have any expansions, but some models look good too (vintage, or "classic" of course).

If you want an action + miniatures boardgame I recommend you SPACE HULK (has an ENORMOUS fan base) or BLOODBOWL (you can download the rules free, will take a few minutes to make a square grid board, and can be played with "ordinary" d6, AND has an even greater fan base).

AND don't forget that Space Crusade is better played with 4 players, where SH or BB are 1 vs 1.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009 - 21:37

Interesting. One of the biggest reasons I was interested is that it seems like a larger scope than Space Hulk - while I definitely like the atmosphere, very much recreating Aliens, I also like that Space Crusade offers several teams of marines, and several types of baddies, rather than th limited scope of Space Hulk which is just "termies vs. genestealers," and a two-player game. We typically have 3+ people involved in any game.

However, getting it for a reasonable price, or getting it at all, is looking like a bit of a losing prospect Sad

I've seen several on eBay being sold in the UK, but because of the weight (and apparently very high international P&P rates) it would cost 40+ pounds just to have it shipped. According to the eBay sellers, that is. Oh well, I'll just keep my eyes open, and thanks for the input guys.

My cousin does have the old Space Hulk, however. Perhaps we'll be able to just get by tinkering with that and finding a way to get more people in on the same table.
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009 - 14:42

build a 3d board from packaging and add lads of walkways etc, then use normal marines and some enemies and have some 3d skirmish fun.

Ancient
Ancient

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeWed 2 Dec 2009 - 19:34

I have one copy but its in dutch... I would sell it fot 50€ incl shipping to UK
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeWed 2 Dec 2009 - 19:49

Mo! wrote:
I have one copy but its in dutch... I would sell it fot 50€ incl shipping to UK
I'm in the states, unfortunately Sad
Back to top Go down
Mo!
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeWed 2 Dec 2009 - 21:13

Ah that's why it's so hard to get it shipped to you... I could check what it would cost me to ship it to you... I tried to order something in the usa yesterday and they charged me $25-$30 to ship it to the Netherlands... but I wont mind going to the postoffice to check it for you.

What do you think is a resonable price aka what would you want to pay?
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeWed 2 Dec 2009 - 22:54

Thanks for the offer Mo!! I was actually able to snag one for a pretty good price on eBay just this afternoon, though. Either no one was watching or other bidders are very picky about having a missing gene stealer. Also, unfortunately neither I nor any of my gaming buddies would be able to fare very well in Dutch, but seriously thanks a ton for the offer, I really appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
Mo!
Ancient
Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitimeWed 2 Dec 2009 - 23:06

Your welcome! Have fun it's a blast to play!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Space Crusade - worth it?   Space Crusade - worth it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Space Crusade - worth it?
Page 1 of 1