Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

The Next Attempt!

Go down 
+3
Ash
Ezekiel
Chemical Nova
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemical Nova
Warrior
Warrior
Chemical Nova

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead
Achievements earned: none

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Nov 2009 - 15:57

After my first attempt at home brewed scenery melted down before my eyes I turned to this forum for inspiration and help. Let me say there is not a finer resource on the web for inspiration, tips and tricks, tutorials and general Mordhiem AWESOMENESS that right here! This piece is made from foamcore, stir sticks, PVA, toothpicks and poster card. I really like the enclosed space feeling it gives and can't wait until there are bloodied combatants fighting over it! I am still new to foamcore and scenery building in general so all comments are welcomed. I know i need to seal the exposed foam edges (I was thinking PVA) but are there any other tips you guys can suggest? I would like to ask what you guys texture the outside walls with so they don't appear so flat. Thanks in advance for looking at my little ruin!
The Next Attempt! 100_0112
Back to top Go down
http://areturntomordheim.blogspot.com
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Nov 2009 - 17:26

Texturing can be done in a lot of different ways, some mix paint and sand, or glue and sand, others cover the walls in wallpaper, I personally just like my thick paint to clutter on, and after it's dry I apply some washes, which set into the deeper recesses, et voila.

As for another suggestion: watch the top left ground floor. it looks real nice that way, but it makes it hard to play on (trust me I know small places :S) So keep that in mind. if you're fine with that, by all means continue... I've made mine rather small as well, and it adds to atmosphere, but fat happy gamers hands don't usually mix that well...
If youre group isn't too clumsy, than it's excellent! Smile

Third suggestion: MORE!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Nov 2009 - 23:55

I have made lots of terrain out of foam core and I've never had a big problem with melting from spray. I find it will melt a little but I think this only adds to the ruin-ness off the edges. If you want to avoid that I would just get a big brush and spread thick paint all over any exposed foam. Whatever you do, try the technique out on a piece of scrap foam first and see if it melts. That way you don't trash your great building Smile Nice job!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitimeWed 11 Nov 2009 - 0:44

[Deleted]

Last edited by Broken1 on Thu 25 Jan 2018 - 0:04; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitimeWed 11 Nov 2009 - 9:55

VERY COOL LOOKING! When you start painting the sucker you'll find ALL the spots where it will be difficult to place a mini. Once it's all painted, the paint SHOULD protect the foam from the spray finish; if you're REALLY worried about melt down, use a brush on finish.
I don't use foam core myself...I use just plain old pink foam; SO...any advice I could give about texture would be of dubious worth. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! The Next Attempt! 544694

Last edited by DeafNala on Fri 13 Nov 2009 - 7:58; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chemical Nova
Warrior
Warrior
Chemical Nova

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitimeWed 11 Nov 2009 - 16:08

My first attempts were made with graph paper glued to heavy poster board supported with stir sticks. They were just about as thick as the originals from the box, so I did not think there was a difference. The second I put my spray primer to them though the warping started. You could actually hear them warp as they pulled away from the stir stick supports! That is when I came here for desperate help!
Back to top Go down
http://areturntomordheim.blogspot.com
Marius Black
Youngblood
Youngblood
Marius Black

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitimeWed 11 Nov 2009 - 20:46

Wow that looks great Post more pictures as you build more!!!
Back to top Go down
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitimeMon 16 Nov 2009 - 17:54

Back to top Go down
http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitimeTue 17 Nov 2009 - 1:35

Superb work so far! Keep it up and let us know how shes coming along!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Next Attempt! Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Next Attempt!   The Next Attempt! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Next Attempt!
Page 1 of 1