Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Need some Bit insight

Go down 
+3
Paintedpain
catferret
ChildOfKhorne
7 posters
AuthorMessage
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

Need some Bit insight Empty
PostSubject: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 14:50

I am looking for some pretty specific bits but I can't seem to find someone who knows where I can find the bits at.

1. I am looking for drums. Lots and lots of drums of all shapes and sizes for a beastman drummer as well as a drummer for my WoC army.

2. I am looking for single edged two handed swords. Perhaps something as big as a normal human if possible.

3. Cloaks that perhaps only drape over one shoulder. [ My greenstuff skills aren't up to that challenege yet. ]

4. Pieces of dangly cloth, stuff that hangs from the waist.

5. Loose Symbols of Khorne.

Any insight would be great! Thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 15:01

1. Chaos Marauders, Orc Warriors, Empire State Troops box sets

2. Make them with plasticard and Brown Stuff would likely be easiest. Use thin plasticard and cut out the overall shape you want, then cut out 2 smaller pieces and glue them flush with the back edge of the sword. The gap on the blade edge is then filled with putty and filed to a bevel when dry. Example below of one I did, just make yours less orcy. Wink
Need some Bit insight ShibChoppa

3. Tomato puree foil tube cleaned and cut to shape.

4. Space Marine Tactical Squad has some small ones. Skaven Nightrunner cloacks could be trimmed down to fit as well. Puree tube is another option again.

5. FW Etched Brass Khorne symbols
Back to top Go down
Paintedpain
Warrior
Warrior
Paintedpain

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 15:45

So thats how to make custom blades... thanks for sharing!
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 15:46

Where do you get your plasticard? For some reason my google searches have not really worked out.
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 16:11

I get sheets of plasticard from local model shops.

If you have no local shops check out Evergreen Scale Models, they have all sorts of plasticard sheets, tubes, rods and other shapes.

EDIT: They have a link to a list of stores that stock their products at the bottom of the page.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 16:17

You can get sheet styrene from www.walthers.com ; it's made be Evergreen Scale Models. The term "plasticard" seems to be GW baby talk Need some Bit insight Suspect . Micro mark also carries the sheet styrene, but is somewhat more expensive as far as p & p is concerned.
Back to top Go down
CygnusMaximus
Warlord
Warlord
CygnusMaximus

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 16:21

The War Store is your friend for bits.

Chaos Marauders have both drums AND shouldery cloak bits.
Orcs also have drums (both the normal warriors and Black Orcs).
The Ogre Bulls sprue has large single-edged swords.
The Ogre Ironguts sprue has even larger single-edged swords.
Chaos Space Marines have lots of Khornate icons - check the berzerkers, normal marines, and vehicles
Loyalist space marines have lots of loin-cloths and purity seals - the Black Templar sprue has some good little bits as well.

Good luck!
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 16:28

Deafnala: Plasticard is a common term in the UK even amongst people who have nothing to do with GW, and I don't appreciate being told I talk like a baby.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 16:37

catferret wrote:
Deafnala: Plasticard is a common term in the UK even amongst people who have nothing to do with GW, and I don't appreciate being told I talk like a baby.

Sorry Cat; I didn't mean to hurt your feelings. I DO believe the inference was intended to refer to GW's habit of coming up with cutesy &, in this case, misleading names for things. AGAIN sorry if you were offended.
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 16:46

On a side note, what is this..."Brown Stuff?"
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 17:06

Brown Stuff is a modelling putty similar to Green Stuff; it's somewhat better at holding fine details...or so I've been led to believe. Need some Bit insight Suspect
Back to top Go down
Mr.chair
Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 18:27

Brown stuff holds a hard edge better, so it's good for inorganic things like armor, that have a very sharp edge. It can also be filed, which green stuff can't. I've used it very little myself. It's typically reserved for the more advanced modelers who can actually tell the difference Need some Bit insight Icon_smile

I actually called my local modeling store to ask if they had plasticard and they had no idea what I was talking about. Later, I somehow found out that it also went by sheet styrene, and low and behold, the modeling store had had it all along. That said, it would be nice if GW hadn't coined their own term for the product, but I still say plasticard to this day, as do we all!
Back to top Go down
ChildOfKhorne
Champion
Champion
ChildOfKhorne

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 18:46

On the subject of plasticard. What is a common grade to get? What type would work for making weapons like this? Is there a normal grade that we get for mini's?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 19:09

My guess would be .020"...that thickness pretty much matched up with one of GW's swords; for the reinforcing pieces .010" might do the trick...Cat will give you the exact thickness when next he's on-line I'm sure. I'd go for strips rather than sheets of the stuff to save a bit of cutting time.
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009 - 20:55

In addition to the Warstore's Battlewagon Bitz section, both The Bitz Barn and eBay seller Hoard O' Bits are pretty good for getting plastic bits. Seems like metal components are pretty tough to come by these days, though.

In terms of what you're looking for, specifically, I'd say:

Drums: orcs, gobbos, beastmen, marauders, seems like pretty much any of the "evil" races have drummers as their musicians.

Swords: You can custom build them like catferret suggested, but many of the orc blades are big enough as it is, and could definitely be treated as two-handed swords as long as they were modeled that way.

single-shoulder cloaks: This will be tough using bits as they are - I feel like you'll almost definitely have to use at least a little green stuff to make it work. You could get some tabards or something, and put one on each side, but you'll still need a little greenstuff for over the shoulder to connect the two. The plastic marauders do come with smaller back capes, and perhaps some of those could be used to achieve the desired effect.

loincloths and dangly rags: I think the 40k chaos space marines come with a handful of these.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need some Bit insight   Need some Bit insight Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need some Bit insight
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Painting and Modelling-
Jump to: