Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

You think you can sculpt miniatures?

Go down 
+7
Paluke
Da Bank
DeafNala
Myntokk
Eliazar
Johann Cocaine
Mordheimer
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: None

You think you can sculpt miniatures? Empty
PostSubject: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009 - 14:34

You think you can sculpt miniatures? You think that you can do anything your mind is set in Green Stuff? If you do... stop reading. Go away!!! Why? Because if you DARE to continue and scroll down, you will feel ashamed of your skill! Mad

Still here? Two words for you... Nikolai Aldunin. If you do not know him, he is considered the "Master of Miniatures"... anywhere in the world. Here he is posing with his primary tool, a 1985 microscope.
You think you can sculpt miniatures? 6a00d8341c5dea53ef0105371ff5ab970b-pi

The Russian artist works between the beats of his heart, in order to keep his hands perfectly still. Here he is, posing in the work area of his Moscow apartment. His tools include superglue, syringes and toothpicks... which he spends HOURS sharpening.
You think you can sculpt miniatures? Miniatures_02

Don't believe me? You should. Last chance to leave! Don't hate me after you see the rest! affraid

Seven camels, passing through the eye of a needle... oasis and all!
Presumably based on a Catholic Biblical adage that it would be easier for a camel
to pass through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to get into heaven.
You think you can sculpt miniatures? 4037346588_478e0a1630_o

You think you can sculpt miniatures? 10256-3-585x293

A golden AK-47, against a match head for scale.
Nikolai worked for six months to create this rifle which consists of 34 individual parts...
the rifle butt alone took weeks to craft. BTW, he lost the part after completion and had to
do it again! His reaction?
"I had a sit-down and a smoke and calmed down. You mustn't get into a state or worry.
Everything that you feel in your soul is transmitted to your hands.
"
You think you can sculpt miniatures? 26

You think you can sculpt miniatures? 4037346660_9c178969a0_o

A flea fit for a micro cowboy!
Aldunin takes his inspiration from a famous Russian tale about Levsha (the name means
"left-handed man") who was a Tula craftsman so skilled he is able to put horseshoes on
a flea. Aldunin's version features not only the shoes (all of them held in place by
three nails!) but a saddle and stirrups as well. One flea-shoe made by Aldunin weights
0.00000004419 grams, so if you have just one gram of gold, you get 11,314,772 pairs of
these insect footwear, not a very expensive thing, really. So, if you want your
cats and dogs have really trendy parasites, you know whom to call now.
You think you can sculpt miniatures? 4036594869_65767cde4d_o

You think you can sculpt miniatures? 10256-2

A gold tank.
You know... its missing the side sponsoons to be a 40k Predator Tank!
You think you can sculpt miniatures? Miniatures_04

You think you can sculpt miniatures? Miniatures_05

A Russian Samovar.
A samovar is a heated metal container traditionally used to heat and boil water in and around Russia to prepare tea. Here a full size samovar.
You think you can sculpt miniatures? 4_700

This microscopic replica rests, on a needle next to a grain of sugar.
You think you can sculpt miniatures? 10256-6

You think you can sculpt miniatures? Miniatures_06

Leo Tolstoy, on a grain of rice!
Apparently, the guy can draw too!
You think you can sculpt miniatures? Miniatures_08

Take a ride on his cool bike...
Although since the bicycle on on a NEEDLE, it will be a short one!
You think you can sculpt miniatures? Miniatures_09
You think you can sculpt miniatures? 10256-5

So now, ANYTIME you feel frustrated with your Green Stuff sculpt... STOP. Think of our new Sculpting God, Nikolai Aldunin, smile and think he has it WAY harder that you will EVER do! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
Johann Cocaine
Veteran
Veteran
Johann Cocaine

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009 - 14:48

Oh my CAT!This is crazy!!I don't know were this man takes the patience for making this stuff.No doubt, he's an artist.A miniature mini's artist.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009 - 16:28

I always find it sad that people with such great skill create stuff which fits into the eye of a needle, because like this, people without a magnifiying glass can't see anything at all and no-one can really enjoy this stuff.

Without doubt amazing, but pretty useless in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009 - 18:35

Eliazar wrote:
I always find it sad that people with such great skill create stuff which fits into the eye of a needle, because like this, people without a magnifiying glass can't see anything at all and no-one can really enjoy this stuff.

Without doubt amazing, but pretty useless in my opinion.
Well, anyone reading this thread just enjoyed his stuff, did we not? What's more, other people have undoubtedly found his work wherever Mordheimer found it.

That aside, many sculptures are "useless" in that they don't serve any practical purpose, and yet everyone can appreciate the end product on its aesthetic merits or simply because of the talent required to produce it. I don't see that these tiny sculptures are any less useful than magnificently large sculptures are.

Also, it wouldn't be nearly as interesting if he didn't create them to fit in the eye of a needle, and since he has presented them under the scope so that we can see them that's not really an issue either.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009 - 19:04

I CAN hardly wait to see them all painted up. You think you can sculpt miniatures? Suspect
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeWed 28 Oct 2009 - 22:55

DeafNala wrote:
I CAN hardly wait to see them all painted up. You think you can sculpt miniatures? Suspect

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! You cracked me up! ROFLOL!!!! You know he is not one of us, because he has not taken a brush to his models!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 12:11

I am amazed. I don't think I would buy any of it but it is still "WOW".

Nice find Mordheimer.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 12:17

BTW Tom Meier's uses a similar binocular microscope thingy for his sculpting. It's set up so he can lay down while he sculpts...The Man has back problems. You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_geek
Back to top Go down
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeThu 29 Oct 2009 - 15:41

i've seen some of his work on the net, it's godly indeed! but as eliazar pointed out, a bit pointless Wink
Back to top Go down
dwi
Warlord
Warlord
dwi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Oct 2009 - 6:44

Christ's holy blood!!!! (sorry Jehovah for useing your sons name in vain)
Back to top Go down
Captain Bernhardt
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Captain Bernhardt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeWed 3 Feb 2010 - 23:02

Well, I personally think Willard Wigab is better. don't know if he's already been posted here, in that case i'm sorry. But at least this guy paints his models... with a hair from the back of a fly!!!

Don't forget to check out his videos!!!!!

btw Myntokk I think that's very beautifully said!

PS: I mistyped his name.. srry for that
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeThu 4 Feb 2010 - 1:32

Nice find! Always neat to see different stuff that others enjoy doing, and doing it well!
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeThu 4 Feb 2010 - 15:11

Eliazar wrote:
I always find it sad that people with such great skill create stuff which fits into the eye of a needle, because like this, people without a magnifying glass can't see anything at all and no-one can really enjoy this stuff.

I'm in agreement. It is amazing, but this isn't really similar to anything anyone on this board or interested in Warhammer does - apples and oranges. It doesn't make me feel bad about my own skill, or lack of it, at all... most of the minis I see people post here are a lot more interesting because of subject matter and the games you can play with them, even if they're technically no where near this. What I see in his stuff is interesting, and an undeniably show of skill and patience, (and I'm glad you posted) but not something I'd give any more time or thought than the minute it took to write out this post. Neutral

I'd prefer to a handful of my some of my own adequately painted elves than an AK-47 on the head of a match stick any day. :3
Back to top Go down
http://www.ulthuan.net/
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeThu 4 Feb 2010 - 21:54

@Captain Bernhardt: You are right... Willard Wigab is awesome! Later I will look and post individual pics. Nice stuff!

@Milliardo: Please do not take my sarcastic opening comments to heart! While I do appreciate this micro-art as what it is, a different art medium, I personally prefer 'regular' modeling. When I originally posted this, there was a discussion going by someone (don't remember who) that was very frustrated about his green-stuff skills. We told the person that sculpting with GS is like painting... you have to start somewhere! The fact that he could paint did not meant that he could sculpt or vice-versa. After he realized that fact, he got re-energized and continued practicing... showing great work.

I posted the thread, so to drive the point that there was SOMEONE trying to sculpt in a much harder medium! Just like we can't 'demand' that our first miniature is worthy of a Golden Demon, we can expect that our first real work with GS is worthy of the British Museum in London (like this micro art could be.)

Regarding elves vs AK-47s... NO CONTEST! Even unpainted elves win hands down! Razz
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitimeThu 4 Feb 2010 - 22:16

Ahhh, I see - I didn't know where you were coming from. My sarcasm radar needs a firmware upgrade. :3
Back to top Go down
http://www.ulthuan.net/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You think you can sculpt miniatures?   You think you can sculpt miniatures? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

You think you can sculpt miniatures?
Page 1 of 1