Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
eternaldream
Hero
Hero
eternaldream

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Empty
PostSubject: For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?   henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 14:47

First I have a question about gaining experience for groups. In all scenarios in the book, heroes and henchmen get 1 experience if they survive the battle. Now, if you have 5 guys in a group and 4 go out of action, then will they all get the experience? I think that's the case, but I'm not sure.

So, if that's the case, I can see the benefits of maxing out a group and keeping them singular. If they were all single, then you can outfit them individually. Plus if you've lost some heroes, you get more chances to promote a henchman. However, by keeping them in a group you are more likely to make it through the battle (providing that only one needs to survive for the whole group to get experience).

So what do you think is the best way to start out a warband? I'll already have max heroes, so should I max out my henchmen groups? Or would it be best to keep them singular, or in pairs?
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?   henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 14:55

The +1 Experience is gained for surviving, not for not getting out of action.

So a Heroe who is out of action and gains, e.g. a Leg Wounds, does get the +1 for surviving. In other words, you always get the +1 Experience for surviving. It's like +1 for taking part in the battle. The only situation when you do not get that Experience point is when you die. Permanently. Not that it matter whether you would have gotten the experience point in that case or now...

So, unless the entire Henchman group permanently dies, you do get the +1 XP. In a group of five henchmen, all of them would have to be taken out of action in a game and all of them would have to roll 1 or 2 and die in order to not get the XP. If only one of them survives (rolls a 3+), then group as a whole gets the XP.

Whether you max out your henchmen group has more to do with getting Lad's Got Talent, so theoretically for that it is best to have all henchmen as individual groups. This gives you the maximum chance to get a promoted Henchman. But then you are very susceptible to Serious Injuries, because if you have a henchman who has gained +1 Attack and +1 Strength, then maybe you don't want him to die, so it makes sense to increase that group to two or three, so if one dies the group isn't gone and you can rehire a model for the group.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?   henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 16:08

I normally buy them in groups of (1) to start a campaign to help get Lads Got Talent but even with that my rolling is horrible. Later in the campaign I will increase their size.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?   henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 16:32

Da Bank wrote:
Later in the campaign I will increase their size.

...unless the model has earned +1 Initative and +1 Leadership. Wink
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?   henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 17:55

I don't add to a group I start new ones. I don't like the whole calculation thing for adding into existing groups.
Back to top Go down
AFKzombie
Captain
Captain
AFKzombie

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?   henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 19:55

can you have more henchmen groups than listed on a roster? if so i suppose it's all personal taste. but if you already have all six heroes theres no real point in keeping them singular to increase your chances of rolling that lads got talent, because the way my group plays is if you roll that lads got talent and already have 6 heroes you can't dismiss heroes on the fly, but like i said that depends on your group.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?   henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 22:11

Use as many henchmen you need to record your warband.
Back to top Go down
JAFisher44
General
General
JAFisher44

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?   henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Icon_minitimeSat 24 Oct 2009 - 22:14

Dismissing on the fly is the only way to go. I can just imagine the scenario

Warband leader: Hey, Gunther, can I talk to you over here?

Gunther: Sure boss. What Can I do for you?

WL: Wilheim really stepped to the plate in that last skirmish. I am thinking of giving him some more responsibility in the band.

G: But boss, we already got all the heroes we need!

WL: Yeah... About that...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?   henchmen - For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

For henchmen, what is the ideal unit size?
Page 1 of 1