Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Charging.

Go down 
+2
Myntokk
Cubies
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Cubies
Youngblood
Youngblood
Cubies

Trading Reputation : 0

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 0:55

Hey,

Hope people don't complain about double posts, but I don't like searching archives. I've been studying the official rulebook from a PDF file on the Games Workshop website. It states in the rules for charging that you can charge double your move and if a model is behind a corner of a building you can take the initiative test within a 4" radius which allows you to engage the model in hand-to-hand combat. Just to clarify on the rules, for example I charge an enemy and move 8 inches and it's behind a corner, does that mean I can move those 8 inches and then take the initiative test to move within the 4 inch radius or is the initiative test done within the 4 inches of the charge distance? If this sounds confusing let me know and I'll try and explain again. Thanks.

From Cubies.
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: none

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 1:29

I'm 99% certain you have to take the initiative test before moving, representing your character guessing at exactly where the enemy around the corner is (or on the other side of the wall, etc. etc.). The initiative test is there for you to determine whether or not your model knows the location of his intended target. In other words, you have to know the guy is there before you charge him, and if you fail your initiative test you aren't even aware of his presence.

This is the way that we have always interpreted these rules, although we could be wrong and perhaps some more veteran mordheimer will set me straight (it's happened more times than I care to count!) . . .
Back to top Go down
Figgy
Elder
Elder
Figgy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 5:05

Agreed! You have to be within 4 inches of a model you cannot see if you wish to charge him! Charging. Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Cubies
Youngblood
Youngblood
Cubies

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 13:23

Thanks for the advice guys you've given me something to think about, but let me just run past you what I've come up with just to make sure I'm clear on the official rules and the house rules;

So from the official rulebook it says you can first declare you're charging, then you can attempt to charge a model, then if the model is located around a corner you can roll to pass the initiative test and then move around the corner to engage that model in hand-to-hand combat. This gives a disfair advantage as you could move double your distance and then move 4".

What the house rules (you guys) are saying is that you can make the choice of either declaring you're charging a model, then charging or if a model is around the corner and you want to engage it in hand-to-hand combat you can roll to pass the pass initiative test. This sounds fair but gives you two options either charging double your distance whilst charging or passing the initiative test and moving 4".

Let me know if I got this right and if I've made any mistakes then please point them out. You guys are helping tons, thanks for helping a beginner.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 14:26

Welcome to the forums.

Take charging in steps. This is not a house rule. It comes from the rule book.
1. You declare you wish to charge. Read the whole rule. Note that in order to make a charge move your model must be able to SEE the target of the charge. If your model can see a target you may declare a charge against it.

2. There is a separate rule if your model CANNOT SEE a possible target. Sometimes there will be enemy models close by that are completely obscured by terrain. In this case the target must be within 4 inches of your model BEFORE YOUR MODEL MOVES. The target is around a corner of a building or in another room, but your model cannot draw a line of sight to it. Your model has not moved because in order to declare a charge it must be able to SEE the intended target of the charge. However if you follow the rule and your model passes the appropriate Initiative test it can now charge.

Charges must be declared at the start of a turn, so your model may not move to within 4 inches of an enemy and then roll to see if it may charge. In the original rule book this is explained on p. 26. I have no idea of the page number in the online version, however I see you have the PDF so you know where to look.
Back to top Go down
Davespaceman
Knight
Knight
Davespaceman

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 17:03

Hi cubies I think you're misinterpreting the rules.

You can't move 8" then take a test for another 4".

Your target must be within 4" at the start of your turn.
Back to top Go down
Cubies
Youngblood
Youngblood
Cubies

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 17:05

Oh wow, thank you to everyone who helped on this matter, I'll try and refrain from asking too many questions because I know some people are sensitive when it comes to being asked questions. (Although I do enjoy the discussion of rules) It's nice to know some people are willing to help others. I've only just started reading the rule book two days ago so I'm still learning, but we all start at the same place. (^.^) I'll be looking forward to popping my Mordheim cherry when I get around to playing my first ever game but I want to make sure I'm 100% certain on the rules before this so I don't make too many mistakes. Big thanks from Cubies. Charging. Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
Gobbo Freak
Elder
Elder
Gobbo Freak

Trading Reputation : 7

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 17:24

That's what we're here for, help fellow Mordheimers on their way. Don't be affraid to ask anything if you can't figure it out Charging. Icon_biggrin

Also, playing the game is a very effective way of learning the rules Charging. Icon_razz

I've been playing for 8 years now and sometimes I still get confused Charging. Icon_eek
Back to top Go down
Davespaceman
Knight
Knight
Davespaceman

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 19:09

I still don't know most of the rules I just knew this one and spotted the bit that seemed to have perplexed you.

Get playing it's an awesome game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Charging. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Charging.   Charging. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Charging.
Page 1 of 1