Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Hiding

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Sister Sister
Youngblood
Youngblood
Sister Sister

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar
Achievements earned: none

Hiding Empty
PostSubject: Hiding   Hiding Icon_minitimeSun 4 Oct 2009 - 4:08

Hiding:
our group has had some problems with the "reasonable" clause in the hiding rule; especially because it also states that you are supposed to disregard the dramatic poses of the models. has anyone had problems of this nature, or better yet a good house rule for making gameplay easier and more fun?

-SS
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding   Hiding Icon_minitimeSun 4 Oct 2009 - 4:42

We had problems a few years ago at times with a player who naturally wanted to maximize the advantages he could get from hiding, but that's it so far. However, hiding being used "reasonably" very much depends upon the group using it (of course).

At one point recently, we discussed whether we could tie the verbiage of hiding to the same requirements for cover, but still found it problematic.

My own test is to use the torso of the model as the minimum coverage requirement, allowing for the torso to be laid down on the ground or squatting (yes, we have to use imagination for this).

Our practice is to use hiding sparingly, so that it does not cause contentions. The player whose model is hidden should give it enough cover that there is no question about its ability to hide, and the person attempting to spot the hidden model should get into a position where it is clear that the model can be spotted.

To help alleviate any potential future issues with hiding being used too much, we have made the Spyglass (from the Pirate warband equipment list) available to all warband heroes as Miscellaneous Equipment. I can't remember right now whether the Telescope also had the ability to help spot hidden enemies - it does in our house rules.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/view/wyldhauntsmordheim
Popmouth
Ancient
Ancient
Popmouth

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

Hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding   Hiding Icon_minitimeSun 4 Oct 2009 - 11:56

Maybe the Hochland long rifle should give one the ability shoot hidden foes, if an initiative test is past (obviously, some are impossible to spot, though sometimes you might find a little gap between some planks or such with the help of the looking glass)
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

Hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding   Hiding Icon_minitimeSun 4 Oct 2009 - 20:47

To me, the "reasonable" clause simply means if the character could reasonably conceal his entire person behind the cover, then he can hide behind it. I guess generally that means it must be at least wide enough to conceal his base, and generally about half as tall as the model himself is (or, if the model isn't standing upright, then as tall as he would be if he weren't jumping/running/crouching hunched over).
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding   Hiding Icon_minitimeSun 4 Oct 2009 - 21:00

I'm always amazed at how different groups have different problems with similar rules. I tend to encourage hiding as otherwise combat warbands have no chance against shooting warbands. In our group the highest rated warband/best win/loss record generally favors shooting or ranged magic as its standard tactic wether that warband be Dark Elves, Dwarfs, Sea Patrol or Pirates, etc
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

Hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding   Hiding Icon_minitimeMon 5 Oct 2009 - 3:05

I think that different groups have problems with similar rules due to different "regional" tactics. You have a lot more play than I, but so far as I've seen, hiding to avoid shooty warbands just ends with slow death, whereas running under cover towards closing in melee at least gives chances of victory. In fact, this just happened in a Blood Hunt scenario where the Witch Hunters relied purely on their Crossbows (keeping their Flagellents and Aenur behind solid cover and hiding) versus the Marienburgers. 4 Crossbows and 4 bows just couldn't match 7 longbows and 9 bows - Nicodemus didn't have to lift a finger.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/view/wyldhauntsmordheim
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding   Hiding Icon_minitimeMon 5 Oct 2009 - 5:01

wyldhunt wrote:
I think that different groups have problems with similar rules due to different "regional" tactics. You have a lot more play than I, but so far as I've seen, hiding to avoid shooty warbands just ends with slow death, whereas running under cover towards closing in melee at least gives chances of victory.

Amen, that.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hiding Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hiding   Hiding Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hiding
Page 1 of 1