Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Tileans?

Go down 
+2
Myntokk
Horatio
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Horatio
Knight
Knight
Horatio

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Tileans? Empty
PostSubject: Tileans?   Tileans? Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009 - 2:01

What is your opinion on the rules for the Tilean mercenary warbands (TC 14, I think). Are they balanced for non-Lustrian campaign? Are they fun to play? I'm interested in playing as a mercenary warband but I find the original three a little bland.
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

Tileans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tileans?   Tileans? Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009 - 2:40

I haven't gotten to play as and of the Tileans, only against them, so that's what my opinions are based on, for what it's worth. Personally I don't think the Tileans really have all that much more character than the Empire's mercenaries, and their special rules tend to be kind of "bleh." However, perhaps they'll offer some unique modelling opportunities, which may be your inspiration. Anyways, here goes:

With the exception of a few pieces of equipment, the Trantios are identical to the Marienburgers.

Remasans are almost the same as Ostermark mercenaries, with the exception being that rather than always getting to reroll failed rout tests they only get it against Dark Elves and instead get a +1LD across the board for their heroes.

Miragleans are cool, if you like crossbows a lot. If you're playing Miragleans, you should probably have lots and lots of crossbows. They play very similarly to Reiklanders except their Heroes are especially shooty as well.

I don't think any of them are unbalanced in or outside of Lustria, unless possibly being underpowered. The Remasens' special rule is particularly disappointing, in my opinion, because there's likely to only be one or no Dark Elf warbands in your campaign, and the +1 LD is nice but seems like a less tangible benefit than the other two bands' benefits. However, they're also some of the coolest looking Tilean models in my opinion, and having a cool warband is equally important as having a warband that plays well, so if you really like the aesthetic then go for it. I think they're all fine, and playable. From a gaming perspecitive I would probably pick the Miragleans.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

Tileans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tileans?   Tileans? Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009 - 5:56

I've played Miragleans and Remasans in Lustria and I've played against Trantios in several settings. I think the warbands are easily classed as balanced no matter what setting you are playing in. They are humans after all.

I've had great fun with them, but my fun comes from using models that I like and developing a story to go with the games played. I had reasonable success with the warbands I played but they didn't dominate the campaign.

I used them mainly to have an excuse to use some Dogs of War pikemen. Smile
Back to top Go down
Horatio
Knight
Knight
Horatio

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Bretonnians (Unofficial) Bretonnians (Unofficial)

Tileans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tileans?   Tileans? Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009 - 7:25

Yeah, I've been looking for a reason to use these great Roman legionary models and with a bit of conversion they might make some good Remasans. Or possibly Trantios, so I 'll get the full effect of there specialty (not much change of playing dark elves). I always like the narrative part of play anyhow so they seem like a good fit!
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

Tileans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tileans?   Tileans? Icon_minitimeMon 28 Sep 2009 - 18:16

That sounds perfect then. I wasn't sure if you felt that Mercenaries were bland from a gaming or narrative perspective. These guys will play very similarly to mercenaries, but especially since you have a group of models in mind it sounds like they'll be perfect in terms of what you're aiming for.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

Tileans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tileans?   Tileans? Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009 - 3:03

While on the subject of Tileans, was there ever an official errata on the pikes? Last I saw, they have the several inch attack, which was done away with for all other weapons.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
werekin
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
werekin

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Norse (Unofficial) Norse (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: None

Tileans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tileans?   Tileans? Icon_minitimeSat 3 Oct 2009 - 20:20

Cianty's trader warband was originally written as a Tilean Merchants Caravan featuring Cathayan sell-swords.

At some point during the development I was able to improve the entire theme of the warband list by presenting it as a standard Merchants Caravan whereby you as the player choose which nation the business originates from.

Tileans are a popular choice in campaigns, as it was they who opened the Silk Road up for trade between the Old World and Cathay. Wink

Regards,

Stuart.
Back to top Go down
https://libermalefic.blogspot.com/
MyLittlePwny
Elder
Elder
MyLittlePwny

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

Tileans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tileans?   Tileans? Icon_minitimeMon 5 Oct 2009 - 10:30

StyrofoamKing wrote:
While on the subject of Tileans, was there ever an official errata on the pikes? Last I saw, they have the several inch attack, which was done away with for all other weapons.

I've never seen one - our sollution was simply to remove them from out campaign Smile There's a reason why GW rewrote the reach for the steel whips hehe Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Tileans? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Tileans?   Tileans? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Tileans?
Page 1 of 1