HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
si
Knight
Knight

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress   Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 8:04

Ok the water has had a base coat, wet brush and two layers of drybrush. The finished effect isn't as tasty as Mason's work, but then his I think pops because of the white caps. Because I'm doing this as a river port not a sea port I didn't want it quite so rough. I'm hoping once it gets the coat of varnish it'll look the part at least.

With the new in progress clock tower. The top half is going to be half timbered I think.

A close up of the water, it's a bit tricky to photograph and is a tad greener than it shows there.

Going to drybrush the grey stone now, then I can paint the jetty. Once all that dries I'll break out the varnish.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://gtazz.com/kataan/
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress   Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 8:13

LOOKIN' GOOD! The texture/waves on the water look TERRIFIC. Keep us posted on your progress. What a Face
Back to top Go down
View user profile
si
Knight
Knight

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress   Sun 26 Feb 2012 - 15:58

The results of the varnishing:

(ignore the two little squares, I was testing washes to see how they worked.. they didn't, but they'll be hidden by the jetty.

I really need to get better at photography, the water is more the colour of the green in the background of the forums, but the varnish has worked really well. I need to get the boardwalk planks cut and painted next, but I'm happy with how it's coming along.
Back to top Go down
havre
Champion
Champion

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress   Mon 27 Feb 2012 - 10:07

You got this one going nicely, Si. I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with long-time-going projects. Interesting take on the water. Work worthy of a fluvial geomorphologist like yourself. It looks like a more lightweight approach than my own last attempt. Duly achived for future use.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
si
Knight
Knight

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress   Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 11:51

Heya! I'm back. Or at very least passing through Wink.

I just wanted to bring this log a bit more up to date. I've worked on a few things since I last passed through, though to be honest I've been mostly off in the land of 40k.

My biggest project at the moment is an observatory. This will go up on a new hill behind the brewery. Still not based yet, but the body is there. The top comes off and the tower disassembles, I'm trying to make my new pieces more game friendly from that respect:

I've also spent a lot of time redesigning my website, http://gtazz.com/kataan which now carries my 40k stuff and my Mordheim stuff. To relaunch it I wanted to add something new, so I wrote a little tutorial guide on creating carts. I'm going to do quite a few for the market area next to the canal, makes it feel more lived in somehow. Here's the thing I create:

And if you'd like to see the tutorial you can view that HERE.

Since the website is brand spanking new I'd appreciate it if people could point out any bugs Very Happy. Try to squash them all but sod's law some get through. Also if there happens to be anything in this thread people think might make a good little guide for my site please speak up, I'm looking for ideas. Hoping to build the articles section into something useful over the course of time.

I'm also planning two new warbands, so once the minis arrive I'll pop up photos in my other thread in Painting and Modelling.

Cheers for looking!
Si
Back to top Go down
Jerry_O
Captain
Captain

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress   Thu 3 Jan 2013 - 12:44

Very nice work. Sadly my board is done now since a few weeks... If not I would definetly steal this water-making-idea you mentioned in an earlier post Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sultan
Champion
Champion

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress   Wed 3 Apr 2013 - 9:50

Si my man

I like very much canal and how You varnished water,the effect is precisely what I was looking for. Currently just looking for good solutions how to make cheap water effect,at least for me,because I have some varnish myself witch is bought for a garden table,so I can steel small quantity for water on my canal piece of a gaming table.

Also, I just love your observatory that much that I decided to make one for my table to, for a purpose of filling a empty space on a hill overshadowing the center of a town,so I admire Your imaginative path of thinking of what buildings should the Mordheim town must consist of.

And one more thing!!! I closely watched Your tutorial of how the carts are made for a gaming purpose. What I like the most is that the piece is sturdy enough to withstand gaming abuse and jet is very simple to build.

Many thanks for wonderful ideas

Salute
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress   Today at 8:57

Back to top Go down

Stadtheim, my fantasy town in progress
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3