Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Some High Elves. :3

Go down 
+13
Turquoise Dwarf
Paluke
pascal the rascal
Zujara
Fungomungus
Axel
Ezekiel
Mr.chair
Chad
Svenn
Eliazar
DeafNala
Milliardo
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 29 Sep 2009 - 11:44

I'm afraid I'm ONE OF THOSE perpetually happy, constantly positive Guys...most people find this trait to be REALLY ANNOYING! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Suspect
That said, you're thread has proven to be MOST useful on a practical level; i.e., I was given one of those Rapid Fire Elven Machine Guns to do as a commission piece. OF COURSE, it came sans directions...I figured out how it went together by looking at your piece. THANKS MUCHO! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 544694

Last edited by DeafNala on Wed 30 Sep 2009 - 14:02; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed 30 Sep 2009 - 13:05

Nah, it's no problem with me being positive - many people say the same thing about me. I'm perpetually either scaring people or annoying them with my flamboyance and cheerful pluck, and really people like that tend to have something wrong with them anyway. They've got that perpetual stone in their shoe - it's not really that you're irritating them so much, but rather its your lack of cynicism that makes others question why they can't be like that. They look inwards, they don't like that, and thus they get irritated. They're like Dark Elves, really. Elf

And I'm glad you found my thread practical too. :3

I haven't finished my White Lions yet, but I'm very close - one or two more painting sessions finishing detail work and a basing session and they'll be set. I did take two quick photos though to show my progress. I left the white balance on auto however, so they're not quite as cold looking as these models appear - the cloaks in particular have a lot more brown in them. Still, I'm happy with how they're turning out. :3

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0332

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0336

I'm going to hold off on any more replies - the next time I post, they'll be finished. :3
Back to top Go down
http://www.ulthuan.net/
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 2 Oct 2009 - 12:29

The Elves burst from the treeline...
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0381

I imagine this sounds like an orc Waaugh, but on auto-tune...
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0385

Itz ze German's Tommy!
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0377

On their movement tray...
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0362

I'm debating on whether or not to 'frost' the two trees built onto the bases with a light dusting of white spray paint. I don't have any at the moment, so that gives me a good while to think it over...
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 2 Oct 2009 - 12:42

In lieu of the spray paint, you could hit the trees with a spray finish &, before it dries, sprinkle on some snow effect. The Axe Wielding Elven Psychos look REALLY good. WELL DONE! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 544694
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 2 Oct 2009 - 12:47

DeafNala wrote:
In lieu of the spray paint, you could hit the trees with a spray finish &, before it dries, sprinkle on some snow effect. The Axe Wielding Elven Psychos look REALLY good. WELL DONE! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 544694

"Heeeeeeere's Allandrielle! Very Happy"

... Ahem, and yes, that's a good idea. I hadn't thought of that, thank you. Sir, yes sir!
Back to top Go down
MonsterZero
Warrior
Warrior
MonsterZero

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 17:23

This is the first time I've seen this thread and I really like your elves. The lions (on foot and in chariot) are my favorite elf units. Please tell me you're doing a chariot? Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

I also couldn't help but notice a Brattleboro newspaper in one of the pictures, nice to see another New Englander even if he's from Vermont. Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_wink

Wicked cool! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_cool

MZ
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:16

Definitely will be doing a lion chariot, yes. Two of them, then another for Tyrion to ride in. :3

I took a picture of that newspaper on accident, but left it on purpose because I wondered if anyone would recognize it. Ze social experiment iz a success.

... kind of bleak weather today, huh? :3
Back to top Go down
MonsterZero
Warrior
Warrior
MonsterZero

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri 9 Oct 2009 - 18:27

Yeah, it's been drab all week. Foliage is pretty though, expecting tons of leaf-peepers to roll through town this weekend. Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_rolleyes

MZ
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2010 - 13:21

*explodes out of the warp in a gigantic explosion wreathed with electrical fire*

... Greetings.

I had a problem involving double 1's and a few months in hell battling a particular nasty daemon known as the Holidays, among many others, but I've managed to return to real world... or the fake one... in any case, I believe I'm in the better one now.

Also, MonsterZero, if you're still about, where in New Hampshire do you play Warhammer/Mordheim? I ask because my private group split up after they all finished college, and even though I'm not in a position to play much now, I'll probably be needing a new place in another year.

Anyway, some pictures of what I've been working since last time.

Some Shadow Warriors and a Mage. :3
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0130

First of many table sections I'm working on. :3
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0129

I tore all the old foliage off the trees and attached some darker clump foliage instead. :3
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0135

The old road foundation was made from bits of card. :3
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0137

And my first practice hill. :3
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0149-1

I've still got to add snow to all this stuff... and I'm currently finishing up 5 Reavers. :3
Back to top Go down
MonsterZero
Warrior
Warrior
MonsterZero

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2010 - 13:54

I'm an hour north of White River Junction/West Lebanon, not great distances for casual gaming, unfortunately. Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_sad

Your table scenery looks incredible! They're simple conversions that turn out looking great.

Those things off to the sides of the units, the spear + shield, the stone, and what I think is a wooden stake in the ground, are those objective markers or something? They add quite a bit of flavor to your army pictures.

Nice job! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_cheers

MZ
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2010 - 14:12

Ah, thats a shame. I'm about a half hour north of Brattleboro and about 45 minutes away from West Lebanon. I used to play near Keene, NH.

The spear and shield is an extra bit that comes with the repeater bolt thrower kit; the stone is a wood elf kit (either glade guard/riders, dryads); and the thing that looks like a stake at that angle is a spite standing on top of a root, using an arrow like a spear. :3

I do use them for objective markers! In WFB I use shields mounted on bases as hold reaction markers. I use quivers and bows, made to look like spare kit lying around, as stand and shoot. I also end up with a lot of spare swords and things, and I use those in Mordheim as treasure instead of Warpstone counters - my girlfriend usually roleplays a Battle Wizard, and I'm an Elf, so there isn't much use or motivation in collecting Warpstone, other than destroying it. :3
I'm currently working on wound markers, using skulls with between 1 and 4 skulls on each base. :3
Back to top Go down
MonsterZero
Warrior
Warrior
MonsterZero

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2010 - 14:34

Ah, charge reaction markers...Brilliant! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin

When I do get around to gaming I game at Triple Play in West Leb. It's been a couple months since I've been down though.

Do you go to Carnage? link I've never been, I've only lived up here since 2007 and it's always fallen on weekends where I have family commitments or something.

Lucky you, having a girlfriend to game with. I, myself, cling to the hope that my boys (5 & 7) grow into it so I can game at home. My 7-year old has already played a ton of Space Hulk games with me, hopefully that expands into Mordheim and perhaps WHFB, too.

Anyway, back on topic... Nice looking elf crew you've got going there! I can hear the paint pots calling my name again... Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_wink

MZ
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2010 - 19:28

Man, how come I've missed this thread for soooo long?

Your models are awesome!

I must recognize that at first glance, your color choice seemed a little odd, but the more pics I saw, the more I liked it, and I must admit now I'm very tempted to steal it for my own army!

Silver and black for elves... wow!

Hope to see more of your work.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 4 Jan 2010 - 23:37

Thanks for the compliments - better late to the party than never. I'm glad you like them... but I'm afraid I'm going to have to kill you for threatening to steal my ideas. Sorry. :3

That Carnage thing was exactly the kind of goal my girlfriend and I can shoot for. I'm kind of a shut-in - a solitary wargamer really - but if she wants to go to that with me (hold my hand! Iz scared of the other nerds!! X3), I'd happily go with her... maybe I can even meet you there, mate. We can have a friendly competition or something to see how far each of us progresses in a tourny!! :3 I actually know exactly where the resort they hold it in is too - my Mom used to go there for her nursing conventions twice a year for almost 30 years, and its a really nice hall right on Lake Morey apparently. I won't be able to go for a good long while, so if you manage to get there with your kids, post here or send me a PM explaining what its like. :3

Today I went on a bit of a spending spree with my hobby store gift certificates... I won't bore you with the laundry list, but now that my High Elves are essentially collected, baring odd additions here and there, I'm going to branch off into Wood Elves. I'm going to re-do the elves I posted earlier, mostly a forest spirit list, and give them an autumnal/samhain theme... kind of like a Tim Burton Halloween. Magic heavy... annnnd... I'm going to try to make it seem like they've been summoned - a whole bunch of mostly dryads and other assorted spirits, animals and creepy-crawlies, and kodamas on the march! :3

I've already picked out a theme for them! :3 My current army, the one thats appeared here, is more like Wagner. :3

I'm currently thinking about a boat to buy for The Elves of Tor Skylla... I'm looking at a Greek Trireme, but my heart is leaning towards a Viking Dragonship to complete the Nordic Elves feeling. Expect to see this entire army and board doused with a dusting of snow soon. :3
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jan 2010 - 9:13

COOL STUFF! The Pointy Eared Ones are turning out FANTASTIC & the terrain is TERRIFIC...you have a real flair for Elven kind. VERY WELL DONE! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 544694
Back to top Go down
Commander Von Drake
Champion
Champion
Commander Von Drake

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue 5 Jan 2010 - 13:57

Dirty Thieving Elves Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_evil (sorry i play Dwarfs in Whfb)
But I realy like the colour scheme. and WOW at the gs' its far better than i can do, so i guess your alright for a dirty thieving elf Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_biggrin
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010 - 15:28

I've returned from my sojourn with the elves, and I come with pictures in tow. :3

First, for Monsterzero, some pictures of my Lion Chariots en route to the front lines during the War of the Beard. I was watching Patton, and the music from the German counter-offensive during the Battle of the Ardennes was thundering in my brain when I took these. A lion chariot seems like the elf equivalent of a Panzer, to me at least.
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0404

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0413

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0383

Next, some female characters from my High Elf army/Mordheim warbands, along with this minor dedication to Deafnala. Thanks for being a supportive, vaguely lecherous old man; your hot chicks threads are always a great source of new models to paint. Hopefully you like my girls too.

Please forgive the somewhat un-elfy names; they come from a story I'm writing, and I like to shoehorn them into every game I play.

First up is Kagero, daughter of King Typhon of Tor Skylla. Currently holding the rank of "High Guardian", she leads a regiment of 30 White Lions in battle. She is widely regarded as one of the strongest fighters in the city, despite being extremely brash and reckless and prone to losing her temper easily. During peacetime, she spends her days as an apprentice armorer, raising her Father's prized lions, or foresting/harvesting lumber with her unit. She also has the rare ability among elves of actually being able to tolerate dwarven ale.
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 16907

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0447

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0454

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0462

Next, introducing Lady Scylla. Named after the city itself, she holds the title of "Field Librarian". Her chief duty is the acquisition and safe storage of rare artifacts, tomes, weapons and armor from the surrounding lands. As such, she is principally attached to a unit of Skyllian Rangers (Shadow Warriors), but she has been known to act as a guide for the local contingent of Swordmasters, on loan from Ulthuan.
She's widely regarded as one of the best swordfighters in the city, and can hold her own with even those trained at the Tower of Hoeth. As such, she has a penchant for sword collecting, and typically carries several into battle at once. Her other hobbies include drinking tea and reading. She's also an albino. (no relation to Silas from Dan Browns novel; oddly, I 'invented' her more than 10 years ago. An interesting coincidence though.)
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_study

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0488

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0496

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0501

More pictures and characters next post.
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 492214

Last edited by Milliardo on Mon 26 Jul 2010 - 16:17; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010 - 15:36

Fantastic work! I love it.

And I've got a few questions: Do you have any close-ups of the faces of the shadow warriors and the albino? They look really cool. And are the red lips black lined or am I just imagining it? And what red do you use for the lips?

Oh, and where are the lions from?
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010 - 16:17

Thanks a bunch, Eliazar. :3
To answer your questions, I do have some close-ups of the Shadow Warriors, but unfortunately none of Lady Scylla. I'll remember to take some more for next time, though, but it will probably be awhile. I like to do all my photography at once. The lips are indeed black-lined - there's a tradition of wearing makeup in my city, both among males and females, for aesthetic reasons and to keep their lips from splitting from the blistering cold. The White Lions typically wear black lipstick in imitation of lions (chaos black), but most use a shade of Red Gore, sometimes highlighted with Blood Red. Unfortunately, due to their pale skin, they're often mistaken for Dark Elves when they leave the city, and attacked. The lions are from Reaper Miniatures. They come two to a pack.

This is as close to the Shadow Warriors as I can get with my old camera.
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0130

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0140

Next, Lady Makoto. Formerly a high ranking member of the Handmaidens of Isha, she was ship-wrecked and lost during a trading mission to distant Cathay. After years of wandering and study, she's picked up many of their mannerisms and customs. Now, she acts as an ambassador between the mountain kingdom of Tor Skylla and the neighboring Wood Elf tribes and principalities of the pine-covered slopes.
A master of court-etiquette from a dozen cultures (elf or otherwise), she is also a skilled dancer and martial artist. She's widely regarded as one of the most beautiful elves in Tor Skylla, as well as being skilled in medical arts, and an accomplished mage. She's an unwitting part of a rather one-sided rivalry with Kagero for biggest breasts in tor Skylla.
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Suspect

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0379

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0374

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0358

Next is Elleanor, who is actually one of the few human members of the city. Claimed by Athel Loren as a young child, she is imbued with an incredible lifespan and limited-control over tree-spirits, in exchange for permanent bondage to Loren. As such, she can't leave the forest for long periods of time. If she does, she begins to slowly rot. She's currently attempting to establish a connection between the ancient forests within Tor Skylla's borders and Athel Loren under the auspices of peace between the two realms. Makoto mothers her terribly, even though she's technically a few centuries older than her - she just happens to be stuck in a body that's permanently sixteen years old. I'm sure that says far more about me than it does about her.
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_rolleyes

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0366

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0368

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0370

More later. I've also decided to center my posts from now on, as I think it looks cool, and because I can. :3
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010 - 16:26

OH BABY...ELF BABES! Your LOVELY PHOTOS show your FINE Elven War Host off in a SPECTACULAR fashion. The scenery is MAGNIFICENT; in combination with your a collection of GREAT LOOKING minis, it becomes a CINEMATIC EXPERIENCE. WONDROUS STUFF! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010 - 16:38

Thanks for the close-ups. You shadow warriors look a thousand times better than the GW ones, very characterful.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jul 2010 - 19:28

WOW!

Your painting skills never cease to AMAZE me!

And all the MAGNIFICENT background scenery just adds to the "feel" and enjoyment.

Man, you're my hero!

Thanks for sharing your work with us.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 1 Aug 2010 - 5:31

Thanks for the comments all. Cinematic experience, eh? I guess I do like to try to tell a story with my pictures. I'm glad a little of it came through after all. I think I'll even write something to go with the next set of pictures, if no one minds... if you do, ignore my drivel and just look at the pictures. :3

Vorspiel
Exactly one thousand years after the War of the Beard...

- A series of excerpts from the personal journal of Lady Scylla

... "Ah me, but I can barely contain even my own elation - I can scarcely blame the others for their misconduct. Their punishments will be lenient.
After all, this morning, just as for the past few centuries, I awoke in my beloved city to the same sky, that same, eternal, blue-gray haze of mid-winter twilight that has hung above us all since before I could remember; before many of us present here today could remember. For someone who has never seen the sun rise after so many years of life, it is incomprehensible. No description, no words can ever hope to do it justice. No artists' brush can ever hope to capture the stark magnificence I bore witness to today for the very first time. It as if a candle in my heart that has gone unlit for all my life has suddenly burst into flame and illuminated the entirety of my being. I feel as I have been sleeping all these years.

This morning has been an endless cavalcade of 'firsts' for me. After a thousand years of complete isolation from the outside world, Tuireanns'
spell had finally ended. I can scarcely recall the old elf from my earliest memories - a wizened, gray haired old elf, aged greatly with the burden of both the guilt of our self-imposed exile and salvation. His funeral procession, however, is still something I remember vividly. We gathered in the city streets in our thousands, just as we did this morning. What I would give to see him returned to the world of the living, if just for a few moments... to see the expression on his grim face; I daresay he might've even smiled, if the faces of our elders are any indication. I've never in all my life seen something so heartening as those ancient elves as they one by one took their sons and daughters in hand and beckoned to those distant, familiar peaks. Some of them, veterans from the Daemon Wars, finally had the chance to show three generations of elves the morning sun for the very first time. They die off one by one, year after year, and those lucky enough to see an end to this great endurance we have all suffered... I can't begin to imagine how they must feel.

Before them all, in stark contrast, went several small hosts to the gates of the city. We know not what has become of the world since our passing. We know not who won the great war. Whether or not we will arrive in a world overtaken by the dwarfs or elves, or something all together more foul, none can say. Will we be greeted by our elven brethren with open arms? It seems doubtful; all present know of the day when Ulthuan and the Phoenix Crown unknowingly turned its back on our city. Will the Dwarfs remember us, and as is it is likely so, how will we be remembered? Will they be the friends and allies of our founder, the great King Chorbadar, that the oldest of us remember well from those golden days of legend, or will they be bitter and vengeful, and continue their war after so long? Even reading the stories of their legendary ability to honor a grudge, I cannot believe they could still hate us after so long...

Our troop is presently setting out - I will write more at a later date.

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0475

Three days later...

... The host has marched down from the high mountains of the Vaults and into the Theoi Pass, and still no sign of settlements, though there are ruins in abundance. Most are of dwarfen construction, though we have found several of our former outlying watchtowers and garrison forts - all are cast into ruin. Our scholars are quick to point out that all signs point out a systematic and deliberate destruction of our towers, most likely by dwarfs. It seems the old tales of dwarfen animosity are not as exaggerated as I had hoped...

The dwarfen ruins themselves however are curious. All fortifications show signs of having been left derelict shortly after our own were destroyed. Signs of a great earthquake are prevalent, though it was our understanding the Vault Mountains had long since traveled away from any active fault lines. It is most certainly the work of some great and terrible magic, but this seems beyond the work of even an Archmage such as Tuirean, at least by himself - could Ulthuan unleashed this devastation? Our own field mages are at a loss...

The skulls of many a goblin and orc have also been found, scattered among the ruins along with those of dwarfs, still clad in rusted armor - clear signs of battle. Certainly they would have taken their artifacts, weapons and armor along with them had they been triumphant... but how could wretched creatures such as they defeat the mighty dwarfen empire? Certainly they would have at least mounted expeditions to bury their dead? It is most unsettling...

In lighter news, I caught sight of my first Great Eagle this morning. The mages have told me they have conversed with them, and they will soon be returning to their ancient eries, high upon the cliff sides surrounding our city to join with their sundered kindred. I marvel at the memories of these noble beasts, and give silent prayer to Lileath that our own kin will accept us so easily.

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0417

One week later...

... We have descended into the forested valleys, in order to rest and gather supplies and firewood. Our scouts find plenty of game and water, though they are loathe to collect firewood; our eldest-most scouts speak of the ancient pact with the 'spirits of the mountain wood'. We are all of us disallowed by Prince Nemeas from venturing into the forests to settle, and instead camp upon its fringe. Any elf caught taking an axe to a living tree is to be punished in full view of the forest as an act of appeasement. Scouting parties venturing into the pine forests report 'curious feelings of being watched' and our war-lions seem particularly on edge. I wonder, perhaps, have the spirits of the forest forgotten our part in protecting their mountain glades from the dwarfs?

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0479

"I think there's something in the reeds over there..."

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0485

Three days later...

... we have been driven deeper into the frozen wood by inclement weather, and forced to camp within the sheltering bows of the ancient trees, despite Prince Nemeas' earlier concerns. More troubling, several of our scouts have gone missing. Search parties have been formed, however no remains of the scouts have been located. Troublesomely, dwarfen remains have been found along paths where there were no such signs days before... Personally, I believe the forest may resent us for leaving them unprotected for so long, and amends must be made. I have formerly petitioned Prince Nemeas with my concerns, however he seems fit to keep council with our cadre of advisory mages. My rangers and I have been relegated to guards for 'Princess' Kagero and her band of ruffians, much against my own wishes...

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0425

Two days later...

... Prince Nemeas has gone missing! After a particularly cold night, he had ordered Kagero and her troop of woodsmen to begin felling trees, lest we freeze to death. I attempted to warn Nemeas of his mad folly, and suggested we petition the mages to create some form of magical fire to warm us and the camp, but it appears he has misgivings about the safe use of magic. He no longer heeds their advice; now I fear he is beyond all aid. Though we spent the night in relative comfort, in the morning, we found Nemeas' tent in tatters and signs of a struggle between his honor guard and some unknown enemy. There are bloodied tracks in the snow... worse still, Kagero seems helbound on following them, and I am in turn bound in my duty to Nemeas' mad command to follow her... I fear this may be my last entry...

"There's something over there! Tally ho!"
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0435

"You daft gits! It went this way!"
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0437

"That does it; we're heading back to camp. I have books I could be reading."
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0501

Two more days...

... After what feels like weeks, we have returned to camp after fruitlessly chasing shadows at the behest of 'Lady' Kagero. I swear... she infuriates me... running off into the woods, brandishing that ridiculous axe of hers at the slightest sign of danger and shouting for adventure. I can scarcely believe she comes from the same noble line as King Typhon and his forebearer, King Chorbador. I am beginning to think she is progeny of our lord and one of his damnable war lions - they certainly seem alike in temperament, but I respectfully digress.

"Back to camp! Glory awaits!"
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0396

"... I think my Grandfather laid this road down back in the day. Did I tell you abou-" "Yes!"
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0394

Upon our return, we found the camp in complete disarray - tents were torn to ribbons, and elves lay equally in tatters all about us. There are signs of a titanic struggle, but no sign of the enemy dead... only red-fletched, bronze-headed arrows of curiously intricate design. What elves survive of our number who did not accompany us on our snipe-hunt are near madness, and speak only of the anger of the forest.

... I honestly hate being right all the time. A lifetime spent reading about the adventures of others has cursed me with some knowledge of our fate. Kagero, in her unflappable, blissful self-confidence that I can only marvel at, has ordered us all to prepare fortifications, and for once, I am in complete agreement with her. We have sent riders back to the main host, requesting reinforcement and aid, but I fear we are all but surrounded.

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0525

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0527

There is only one mage left, a distant relation of Tuireann named Cathgood.

Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0134

Addled by the death of his betters, he seems of little use to me. He says his ability to scrye what dangers assail us is both greatly increased and confounded by some mysterious force. He says that escape is now impossible - we are cut off and isolated by some great, unknown entity, that he calls 'The Heart of the Forest', and we are now firmly within its web. Our brethren from other the other war hosts and logging expeditions are caught in similar traps... but when I spoke of resigning ourselves to death, he smiled in a curious fashion, and spoke of an 'ancient hope' - of several creatures of such staggering age, they remember the old pact, and could save us if we can manage to withstand the forests' rage for a few more days. Apparently, Cathgood and his late trio of mages has been attempting to stir them from their eternal slumber for well over a week, and he's just now finished by himself. Curiously, he speaks of one of these creatures above all others...

Kagero seems blood-mad with anticipation. While I disdain her recklessness, I will admit I'm glad for her company. A horn in the distance sounds; one of her woodsmen, I expect - I will write more, should I survive the coming battle.

"Skree!"
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0355

"Cityguard to the Barricades!"
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0578

Chariots rush to stem the tide.
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0595

"They've breached the front lines!"
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0540

Scylla and her page protect a war machine...
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0557

"What? Only 10 to 1? Are you stupid?"
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0555

"Please stop goading the tree monsters."
Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 DSCN0587

Will our unlikely duo of heroes and their band survive the onslaught of the Wood Elves?!

... Yes, almost certainly - their plot armor is impenetrable. :3

[/center]
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 1 Aug 2010 - 14:00

While Wagner is undoubtedly more appropriate. what kept playing through my enfeebled, old mind was:
If you go out in the wood today,
You're in for a big surprise.
The Teddy Bears Picnic

That aside, VERY COOL TALE backed up by some REALLY GREAT photos of some LOVELY minis...all in all not a bad way to start the day. VERY WELL DONE! Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 544694
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun 1 Aug 2010 - 20:04

Thanks, glad you liked it. I wrote it when I was deliriously tired, so I'm just glad it turned out halfway legible. Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Sleep
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Some High Elves. :3   Some High Elves. :3 - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Some High Elves. :3
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3