Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hannibalisfun
Youngblood
Youngblood
hannibalisfun

Trading Reputation : 0

help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead Empty
PostSubject: help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead   help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009 - 11:57

My local gaming club is starting a campaign of mordheim. I am trying to decide between marauders or restless dead. Since, I am have a hard time deciding which one to play. I was wondering if any of you guys would be able to offer some opinions, story, guidance that might be able to push me one way or the other.

thanks,
Nik
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead   help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead Icon_minitimeMon 24 Aug 2009 - 12:40

I suppose you don't have any personal preferences concerning the background of the two warbands (as otherwise you probably wouldn't be having a hard time deciding)? How about the models? Maybe you prefer the marauder models over zombies and skeletons? The Marauders have a lot of hobbying potential as you can give them mutations and have them follow a certain Chaos god. The Condemned is always a challenging conversion. The Restless Dead have just as much conversion potential if you decide to do some scarecrows or even a Bone Goliath (see Hired Swords section of the BTB book). Are you an Undead fan? With the zombies and necromancers you can easily use the models for two warbands: the Restless Dead and the Undead from the core book as well.

If the hobby aspect is not a deciding factor, how about the game style? Both warbands are focused on close combat, but the Marauders are much faster (more so if you play a mounted Hung tribe). The RD are slower and have two spell-casters. They play very differently. The zombie bomb skill is pretty fun and scares the hell out of your enemies.

Personally, I'd go with whatever background/fluff and minis I prefer because having enough motivation and enthusiasm to finish a whole warband is really important.

No matter for which of them you decide eventually, note that you can submit them for the Show Us Your BTB competition! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
hannibalisfun
Youngblood
Youngblood
hannibalisfun

PostSubject: Re: help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead   help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead Icon_minitimeFri 28 Aug 2009 - 10:23

While I decided to go with Norse marauders. I just picked up a box of chaos marauders off of ebay. I figure I should try to find a box of chaos warhounds off ebay to add to that. Besides these are there any other boxes or models that work well for this set up. oh yeah, I forgot to mention. I have some chaos spawns from 40k that my brother gave to me.

thanks,
Nik
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead   help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead Icon_minitimeFri 28 Aug 2009 - 12:35

hannibalisfun wrote:
While I decided to go with Norse marauders.

Norse Explorers or Marauders of Chaos of the Norse tribe? I'm asking because they are two different warbands.
Back to top Go down
hannibalisfun
Youngblood
Youngblood
hannibalisfun

PostSubject: Re: help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead   help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead Icon_minitimeFri 28 Aug 2009 - 20:32

Sorry, I am going with Marauders of Chaos of the Norse tribe.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead   help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead Icon_minitimeSat 29 Aug 2009 - 10:24

hannibalisfun wrote:
Sorry, I am going with Marauders of Chaos of the Norse tribe.

Good choice! Muahaha! Twisted Evil

Alright, the old Marauder plastic models are great. However, I really like the new heads from the Marauder Horsemen, so you could consider getting some of them and putting them on the normal marauder bodies. If you don't want to buy a Horsemen box for that, then you can look for them on ebay - there are often bitz on offer. You can also look for bitz at Bitz Box but they don't have many new marauder heads left. Another interesting conversion option is to use Beastmen torsos for the marauders (see Eliazar's Hung warband).

Lastly, you will have to think about what bitz to use for the Condemned. You can go really creative with that model. My own Condemned is meant to be haunted by Khorne, because the rest of the warband is devoted to Tzeentch/Tchar. The god you want to follow can be an important factor when considering bitz and the overall style of the warband. Or maybe you want to be able to switch gods and keep the overall look more neutral.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead   help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

help me decide on a warband - marauders or restless dead
Page 1 of 1