Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Mordheim with a 5-year-old

Go down 
+9
Da Bank
Milliardo
Turquoise Dwarf
mrtn
DeafNala
Eliazar
Paluke
Admin Tom
wyldhunt
13 posters
AuthorMessage
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders
Achievements earned: none

Mordheim with a 5-year-old Empty
PostSubject: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009 - 4:40

We had a really cool time tonight. Just thought I'd share: http://wyldhaunt.blogspot.com/2009/07/mordheim-with-5-year-old.html

Last edited by wyldhunt on Sun 13 Sep 2009 - 3:43; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/view/wyldhauntsmordheim
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeSat 25 Jul 2009 - 9:33

A well written post!

Sounds like Mordheim has a real educational value Smile

Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeFri 31 Jul 2009 - 13:35

nice Very Happy well written!
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeFri 31 Jul 2009 - 13:49

That's a nice and educative post!
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeFri 31 Jul 2009 - 14:22

Enjoy your gaming time with your little Guy; he's not going to be little all that long. It sounds like you are both learning quite a bit about gaming & each other. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
mrtn
General
General
mrtn

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeSat 1 Aug 2009 - 13:46

Very nice post!

I've been playing Mordheim and WFB with folketsfiende and his son. He started at seven, now he's nine. Good fun. Smile
Back to top Go down
Turquoise Dwarf
Champion
Champion
Turquoise Dwarf

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeSun 30 Aug 2009 - 23:09

I think it helps that it was used as a when-your-old-enough thing as this gives a feeling of great respect for it as you had to live your ENTIRE LIFE to earn it. It also makes you feel amazing when your actualy doing it.
My dad did something similar with reading lord of the rings (this was mainly because the book was falling to bits) althou that was more at the around 13 mark.
Back to top Go down
Milliardo
General
General
Milliardo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Shadow Warriors (Unofficial) Shadow Warriors (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeFri 4 Sep 2009 - 16:46

Great post... I hope I can do that with my kids someday. :3
Back to top Go down
http://www.ulthuan.net/
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeThu 10 Sep 2009 - 2:57

Very interesting and neat. I have played some abbreviated rules for my little one.
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009 - 3:48

Thank you all for the comments! Now that my son is six, I'm getting him to write up his own campaign movements and related items - not that he just started writing, but he's become good enough to do so without completely slowing down play - so now I'm helping with giving him a reason to write...
Back to top Go down
Myntokk
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Myntokk

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeSun 13 Sep 2009 - 5:43

Wow, that's great! I spent a year working in an elementary school, and I'm very impressed with the level of maturity that your son is showing in his approach to the game at just 5 years old. I think it's great that this is something you can share with him though, and that is obviously beneficial for his own development. I myself got into gaming because I wanted to play D&D with my uncle and cousins, and I was at a similar age as your son is, and I think it's a great thing to be able to share across all generations of a family.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeThu 19 Nov 2009 - 8:20

Wow! I wish I had grown up with a dad who played miniature games. As it is, I begun my hobby in my late teens. Your son will probably have it with him all his life. I envy him Smile
Back to top Go down
MonkeyShaman
General
General
MonkeyShaman

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Undead Undead

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeSun 27 Dec 2009 - 17:37

Or he'll go for pro in football, get straight A's, only read historical biographies and never veer too far away from reality as an act of rebellion. Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.ministryowaaagh.site50.net
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 3:03

Alright, I have to give an update on playing Mordheim with my now 6-year-old. He has slowly changed from being a timid player to being bold. He's progressed to the point where he his making his own strategies - and for the first time ever, he won the majority of Scenarios in a Campaign Turn (4 out of 6)!

And of course, showing his genetic material, he's making his own games...
Back to top Go down
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 8:47

As mrtn stated my son has been playing Mordheim, Warhammer FB and 40K for a couple of years now, and it has been excellent, really characterbuilding just as you suggested in your post. I find that you sometimes have to soften the blows that the postgame sequence might deal out, but other than that it's all been fine. Now, he has even goaded me into building a Ash Wastes Ork gang for him (check out the ride here: https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/sci-fi-wargames-f16/scratchbuilding-a-wuddeva-t3684.htm).

BTW (and no offence intended at anyone anywhere!), when discussing the violent nature of the orks a few years back, he suggested that it might be caused by ADHD... I guess that's a price you pay when your parent is a teacher.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 12:37

Haha, yeah. I aint got no kids of my own (yet) and im going to be a teacher too, so its good to know whats coming Smile
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 14:12

Good observation on the Orcs... When I first explained Animosity's "Wud Yoo Say?" to my Mordheim-playing son, I just likened it to a temper tantrum - he immediately knew what I meant (thinking of my younger son). And yes, my younger son can't wait until he turns 5.

Since we use a Fate Point system, that allows for softening of postgame rolls. However, this game his Witch Hunters still ended up losing a Flagellant and 2 Warhounds (he used Fate Points to save another Flagellant) - and amazingly, he took it in stride (he was able to replace the Flagellant and 1 Warhound). That was a battle to write about - 7th Campaign Turn; Pit Fighters vs Witch Hunters at The Pool. By the end of the battle, he'd taken out my Ogre and Troll Slayer along with some Pit Fighters and Pursuers; I took out all of his henchmen (but no heroes), and we'd both found 1 Wyrdstone (there were 2 more left in the pool). Since he was down to his 6 heroes, he smartly elected to rout, and got a decent Exploration Roll. If it wasn't for losing so many henchmen in the postgame sequence, he would have done much better than I afterwards.
Back to top Go down
Pirexian
Elder
Elder
Pirexian

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Middenheimers Middenheimers

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitimeThu 8 Apr 2010 - 16:08

Great article!! congrats mate!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mordheim with a 5-year-old   Mordheim with a 5-year-old Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Mordheim with a 5-year-old
Page 1 of 1