Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

D&D 4th Ed.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
dragonmw7
Captain
Captain
dragonmw7

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: none

D&D 4th Ed. Empty
PostSubject: D&D 4th Ed.   D&D 4th Ed. Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009 - 15:06

Havent played D&D in a few years. I had played for approx. 15 yrs, primarily with 2nd and some 3rd edition ( which i really liked). I have been browsing the rules for the 4th edition and, is it just me, or would these rules be a DM's worst nightmare. The sheer volume of abilities, feats, class feats, race feats/skills, powers, etc.. etc.. would be overwhelming and nigh impossible to remember.

The argument may be that the players have to keep track of their own abilities etc.. and the DM just focuses on his campaign and the encounters. As a DM i found it prudent if not essential to know most if not all of the players' abilities in order to create a balanced campaign.

Anyone else think the 4th edition demands a great deal from a DM? affraid
Back to top Go down
Maikacir
General
General
Maikacir

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

D&D 4th Ed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: D&D 4th Ed.   D&D 4th Ed. Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009 - 16:43

Well.. I'm a DM at our local pen'n'paper club, and I have played a few games with the 4'th edition system.

I always demand that the players keep track of their own abilities, feats and such - Or else it would be too hard for the DM to keep track of things.. As I see it, the DM's job is to create a great adventure for the players - thats about it.

Besides that, I think the system is great! It has removed a lot of the flaws 3,5 had, and it's easier for new players to learn how to play! Very Happy

/Maikacir
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

D&D 4th Ed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: D&D 4th Ed.   D&D 4th Ed. Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009 - 17:23

I got a somewhat different view from the guy I paint D & D minis for; i.e., he DESPISES 4th Ed.. As an erstwhiles AD&Der I have the TOTALLY biased opinion that WotC's version of the game is pretty poor. Suspect
Back to top Go down
dragonmw7
Captain
Captain
dragonmw7

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

D&D 4th Ed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: D&D 4th Ed.   D&D 4th Ed. Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009 - 18:35

I would venture to say that any who enjoy the RP aspects of D&D more than the game mechanics wouldn't enjoy the 4th ed. It appears to be a glorified version of Heroquest; very miniatures dependant. Having said that, the RP has always been heavily dependant on the group, especially the DM and his/her campaign.

I think WoTC has eliminated alot of the RP material from its core books specifically because of this. It's just wasted paper giving instruction on roleplaying, when the group playing is going to incorporate their own atmosphere and color.

So far, and i have only given the rules a cursory glance, I like the 4E. I wouldnt want to DM it, but i like what they've done.
Back to top Go down
Maikacir
General
General
Maikacir

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

D&D 4th Ed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: D&D 4th Ed.   D&D 4th Ed. Icon_minitimeMon 29 Jun 2009 - 18:40

dragonmw7 wrote:
I would venture to say that any who enjoy the RP aspects of D&D more than the game mechanics wouldn't enjoy the 4th ed. It appears to be a glorified version of Heroquest; very miniatures dependant. Having said that, the RP has always been heavily dependant on the group, especially the DM and his/her campaign.

I think WoTC has eliminated alot of the RP material from its core books specifically because of this. It's just wasted paper giving instruction on roleplaying, when the group playing is going to incorporate their own atmosphere and color.

So far, and i have only given the rules a cursory glance, I like the 4E. I wouldnt want to DM it, but i like what they've done.

I know this may not be very "acording to the book", but we have NEVER played any pen'n'paper with minis Razz
We RP alot, and when we 'finally' fight, we either draw it, or just imagine it - here it is the DM's job to keep track!

/Maikacir
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

D&D 4th Ed. Empty
PostSubject: Re: D&D 4th Ed.   D&D 4th Ed. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

D&D 4th Ed.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: Shout it out! (free-for-all) :: General Shouting-
Jump to: