Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Diegan
Champion
Champion
Diegan

Trading Reputation : 0

How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Empty
PostSubject: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2009 - 17:10

Hi!

I recently opened my 4-5 years-old games workshop paintings... they were dry as a stone.

I read ina forum that adding a little boiling water and moving with a stick for a while would work.. and it did!

But... next day, I opened them, and the effect was gone, the painting were dry again...

Any tip? Should I try to revivie them, or buy new ones?
Back to top Go down
dragonmw7
Captain
Captain
dragonmw7

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2009 - 17:38

If it were me, I would buy new paint. you could keep the old ones' and use them for washes. Just add some hot water to the dried up paint and you have an instant wash.
Back to top Go down
Mike
Elder
Elder
Mike

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2009 - 19:00

I have had to revive many of the screw top GW paints as well. I have not had them dry up again so fast and I try to keep costs low so if I can use 'em, I will. Smile
Back to top Go down
Diegan
Champion
Champion
Diegan

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2009 - 19:50

So, which system for reviving them did you used?

A n00b question, what are washes, what are they used for? Are the same as inks? I have used black ink to paint my skeletons, first ink so it goes to the holes and crevaces, then dry-paint them with white.
Back to top Go down
dragonmw7
Captain
Captain
dragonmw7

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2009 - 22:23

A wash is a very thinned down paint, that when applied, enters the tiny areas of detail, often times to create a shadow/shade affect. It also acts as a thin layer over top of existing paint to give it a softer more uniform look. An example would be using a dark green wash on a goblin model to shade the recessed areas in contrast to the raised areas which would be a lighter green.
Back to top Go down
Diegan
Champion
Champion
Diegan

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeWed 17 Jun 2009 - 22:44

I see... unfortunately I am not good at imagining this stuff, I'll search for images of before/after Smile

So, what's the difference with inks??
Back to top Go down
Ragnar
Warrior
Warrior
Ragnar

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 5:33

Ever try warming it up with hot water...??
Back to top Go down
perfesser
Champion
Champion
perfesser

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 6:49

Diegan wrote:
But... next day, I opened them, and the effect was gone, the painting were dry again...
Really? That shouldn't happen.

Paint basically consists of two parts, the pigment which gives colour and the binder which is the fluid the pigments are suspended in. For acrylic paint, the binder is an emulsion of a plastic-like polymer, acrylic, and water.

As this emulsion of acrylic and water slowly separates--all emulsions will eventually separate--the water evaporates and leaves you with just acrylic. Or in the case of paints, acrylic and pigments.

So........

What I suspect happened is that you didn't mix well enough and instead of re-emulsifying the binder, you just ended up with pigments suspended mostly in water. It might have painted okay-ish, but it would obviously dry out quick--the water in the acrylic-water emulsion doesn't dry out because the water can't directly sublimate from the emulsion (at least not so quickly). It's very important to re-emulsify!

Do this: add a bit of water again and stir until the paint is completely back to normal consistancy. Then shake the jar for a while. Then stir again... repeat until you are bored with it, then repeat again. I don't know how long it will take, depends on a lot of factors, but you'll know that you've re-emulsified correctly when the paint stops drying out Razz
Back to top Go down
Diegan
Champion
Champion
Diegan

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeThu 18 Jun 2009 - 8:47

I'll do that. I did not used them when I revived them, so dunno how good they would have painted (not that I am a great judge of that, too).

So, I'll follow your advise. Do you thinks it would be cool also to put the bottles inside hot water for a while, so it gets hot? Also, the water to put inside should be only water, and the hotter the better, right? IO read somewhere you should mix 1 part of glue and 3 of water andd use that to revivify your paintings, have not tried it though.
Back to top Go down
perfesser
Champion
Champion
perfesser

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitimeFri 19 Jun 2009 - 0:32

Diegan wrote:
Do you thinks it would be cool also to put the bottles inside hot water for a while, so it gets hot?
If you think heating will help. I think it might loosen the acrylic a bit but I'm not sure--it can't hurt.

Diegan wrote:
Also, the water to put inside should be only water, and the hotter the better, right?
Yeah, just water.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings   How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to 'revive' old dry GW paintings
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Painting and Modelling-
Jump to: