Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
organboy
Champion
Champion
organboy

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned: None

Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters Empty
PostSubject: Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters   Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2008 - 2:56

Here's something that I've come up with and will test out this afternoon. Its some rules for using craters in Mordheim games. I've tried to make searching for Wyrdstone in the craters extremely perilous but potentially very rewarding..

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rules for Using Craters in Mordheim

By Steven Herbert

The following are experimental rules for the use of craters as scenery in your games of Mordheim. These craters represent where some of the fragments of the comet have hit the city. If you decide to use craters in your games of Mordheim; roll a D3 at the start of the battle, before any buildings are placed. This represents how many craters will be on your battlefield. The player with the lowest Warband rating chooses where the first crater is placed and then the remaining craters are placed by each player in turn. The craters should be at least 3” wide and offer cover to those inside. Buildings are placed on the table at the appropriate time, avoiding the craters

A warrior may move into a crater during his movement phase. However, he will need to take an Initiative test to enter the crater. If the Initiative test is failed, the model has fallen down the steep edges of the crater and will take D3 strength 3 hits as though falling from a height of 3". Place the model as though it is 'knocked down' in the middle of the crater if the warrior has fallen. He may stand up in his next recovery phase. If the initiative test is passed, the warrior may move freely (although at half pace) throughout the crater.

When a warrior is at the centre of a crater, he may try to unearth shards of Wyrdstone from the comet fragments under the earth, however, the warrior must start and end his move in the centre of the crater; this represents the time taken to dig for Wyrdstone. If you decide to search for Wyrdstone, then take a Leadership test. If the test is failed, the model has not found anything and will do nothing for the remainder of the turn. If the test is passed, the model has unearthed something and may roll on the table following.

Roll 2D6:

2: The warrior has fallen down a mighty crack the comet has forced into the earth. The model has been taken 'Out of Action' and will need to wait until the end of the battle for his Warband to retrieve him. Do not roll on the Serious Injury chart for this warrior. If the warrior is armed with a Rope and Hook then he may treat falling down the crack as a 'Stunned' result instead.

3-4: The warrior has tripped into smoldering remains of the comet or there have been rocks tumble down upon him as he searches. The warrior takes a strength 5 hit which ignores armour saves. Roll on the injury chart as normal.

5-8: The warrior has found nothing but rocks, rocks and more rocks. He may search again in his next turn if he wishes. Another leadership test is needed to search again however.

9-11: The warrior has unearthed a shard of Wyrdstone! This shard is added to his/her Warband's total shards at the end of the game. The warrior may search again next turn but will receive a -1 modifier on this table.

12+: The warrior has found an immense deposit of Wyrdstone! The warrior has found D6 shards of Wyrdstone which is added to the Warband's total at the end of the battle. When a result of 12 or more is rolled for a crater, it may not be searched again and is therefore just treated as a scenery piece for the remainder of the battle.

Due to the Dwarfs’ natural ability to find valuable materials in the ground, any Dwarf warrior may add +1 to any of his rolls on the table.

Also note that re-rolls from abilities such as ‘Luck of Shemtek’ may be used on the rolls taken to search for shards of Wyrdstone in the craters.

If a model is charged after he has searched for Wyrdstone in a crater in his previous turn, he will be taken by surprise and therefore may only use one hand in close combat. This means that he will only receive his amount of attacks appropriate to his profile. The controlling player may choose which weapon he will use if he has multiple weapons. The charging player will still need to pass an Initiative test to get down the side of the crater; however such is the fury of charging, he will move at normal charging pace and will not be slowed by the rubble in the crater.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know what you think!

Cheers ~ Steve
Back to top Go down
Yorik
Champion
Champion
Yorik

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters   Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2008 - 3:41

Nice, but:

What happens to wyrdstone charts gained this way if the warband routs?
Will there be any battle at all if people just have to stand around and dig for wyrdstone?
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters   Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2008 - 4:07

I Agree, I think its a fun Idea, but way to easy to get wyrdstone. At this point, the craters would be the #1 priority for the warbands. I think it should be toned down with one of the following:

Make it more along the lines of 10-11 get 1 shard... and 12+ get D3 wyrdstone..

Or i would do "A crater can only be searched once."

I would also add a rule "if the warrior carrying the wyrdstone is taking out of action, the wyrstone is lost"

How big are the craters you're playing with?

It's definitely a fun idea though, I might add something like this. thanks for the post =)
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
organboy
Champion
Champion
organboy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters   Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2008 - 4:40

@Yorik: I don't understand what you mean about what happens to the wyrdstone charts... About the digging all game; I would have thought it would be very perilous to search for wyrdstone. If you survive getting into the crater and then roll well twice, and survive if you roll badly on the table, you've still got the chance to be charged and miss out on attacks. Since there is 3 or less craters and the players themselves get to place them before scenery is placed they're most likely going to be in the middle. I might have to add something like "cannot be placed in deployment zones." If i've got an enemy that wants to dig for shards all game I would be rubbing my hands together. They would be needing a spatula to scrape their dead out of the craters. So much easy XP for my Vampire!

@Ashton Yeah, maybe D6 was a bit much and the "warrior carrying wyrdstone taken out of action" rule would be good to add too. The craters we're playing with are the apocalypse craters.

Thanks for the replies guys. This was why I posted; to get feedback! Keep it coming! cheers

The rules will get their first playtest soon.

Cheers ~ Steve
Back to top Go down
Ashton
Forum Engineer
Forum Engineer
Ashton

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters   Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2008 - 4:59

Sweet. I'm very curious to see how it plays. =) Look forward to it!
Back to top Go down
http://mordheim.ashtonsanders.com
organboy
Champion
Champion
organboy

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters   Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2008 - 11:18

Just playtested it.. Only for one game. No wyrdstone was found at all and it was searched a fair few times. The only thing it really affected was my ghoul hero who went out of action from taking a strength 5 hit when he rolled bad on the chart!

I made a few changes that you blokes suggested and yeah, there wasn't anyone who thought it would be beneficial to dig the whole game. You could only really dig if you took a flank and ran out of enemies becuase if there are enemies about, you really shouldn't be digging!

We'll give it a few more goes next week to see how it stands up to a few more warbands.

Cheers ~ Steve
Back to top Go down
Yorik
Champion
Champion
Yorik

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters   Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters Icon_minitimeTue 15 Jan 2008 - 16:38

organboy wrote:
@Yorik: I don't understand what you mean about what happens to the wyrdstone charts...

sorry, typo. i meant wyrdstone shards. What happens to those you found when you loose the game/fail a rout test? still keep them or does only winner keep those he found or does he get all that have been found? Because one of my opponents has the annoying habit of voluntarily failing his rout test as soon as he has 1-2 shards in the wyrdstone hunt scenario. This prevents me from beating his warband up and since he is faster i usually don't have any wyrdstone yet. while i get the +1 exp for the leader for winning, he gets the shards.

btw: this is the second time i write this post, where has the first one dissapeared?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters   Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Experimental Rules for Wyrdstone Craters
Page 1 of 1