Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules

Go down 
+4
Da Bank
StyrofoamKing
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Von Kurst
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Empty
PostSubject: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeSat 16 May 2009 - 5:05

For years Playtable and I have been playing ship battles with the General's Compendium rules for Warhammer. We also started to include a lot more water based scenarios in whatever Mordheim setting that we were currently playing in. These scenarios involved mostly rowboats and rafts with the occasional small ship. (The Haunted Wreck)

Right after I discovered this forum through Warboss Kurgan, I happened across Styrofoamking's Sartosa setting. Hubba, hubba! Pirates have to have ships! When they are not looting towns, getting thrown out of bars, burying or digging up treasure, they have to sail the seas! Capture prizes, duel a rival crew for loot and all that jazz.

So I sat down with the Sartosa setting and read through it. Styrofoamking recommends Warhammer Ahoy! rules for incorporating ships and I was familiar with those rules but hadn't played any games with them, perfect. I also bought a copy of the Warhammer Historicals publication, Legends of the High Seas.

I decided I didn't want to deal with the issues of buying the ship, or outfitting it. More on that later. So I followed LotHS lead and assigned each warband a Medium Class ship under Warhammer Ahoy! rules. (A ship 5 to 10" long at the waterline.) This ship is armed with 2 light cannon (Zombie Pirates Carronades WD #305). These guns are St 7 and do D3 wounds per hit. The nice thing about the Ahoy! rules is that the cannon can not be aimed at ship's crew, which eliminates a lot of headaches in Mordheim games. The cannon had to be assigned fixed positions on either side of the ship's waist and can only fire in a straight line from that position. Thus the helmsman must align the gun and therefore the ship with the target. In addition each gun was crewed by 2 free gunners that never gain experience or leave the ship (except to board an enemy). The gunners can be killed or pressed away if taken OOA. If this happens they must be replaced or the ship sails with under manned guns. Guns that explode are replaced with out cost for the next game.

Rules
During our first ship duels all the players worried about what would happen if they lost the fight. Would their whole crew count as captured? If the ship sank would the crew all die? We addressed these issues in the following manner. The loser of a fight retains his ship and suffers no ill affects beyond the usual fate of a beaten warband in Mordheim. We have never sank an enemy ship. The guns are not powerful enough to do that, but we have sunk several rafts and rowboats. The crew in those cases each roll a d6, on a 1 they are sucked under and taken OOA. They roll for serious injuries as normal after the battle.

The Sartosa setting has amendments to the Ahoy! rules to make them less deadly and costly in a Mordheim setting. For example if a model falls overboard in Ahoy! rules it loses all of its equipment! Realistic, but ouch! Some of the amendments are not intuitive, for example a model that falls overboard can climb back on automatically without rolling for initiative. This makes failing a leap roll much less of a pain than it is on dry land.

When we started there were 4 human or mostly human warbands, when a Dwarf player joined we assigned him the same type of ship as everyone else. He also received the 4 gunners (basic Dwarf warriors). Elves would be a challenge. A Dark Elf player was and perhaps is toying with the idea of joining the campaign when we re-start. Reaper Bolt Throwers terrify me in Mordheim. When discussing how they work the Ahoy! rules refer to a hit location chart that I have not been able to find on their site or in their rules. Has anyone seen this mythic chart? If I can't find it I'm planning on using the Boats table from TC #24.

Ships
We have only used sailing ships or rowboats and rafts. If our Dwarf player was into it I would encourage him to build an ironclad steam ship, but he's not a modeler. I'm thinking of using a galley for my orc pirates...

Size of Ships
I went with the Medium Class for a couple of reasons. 1-it fits better on a 4x4 battlefield. We have to share our gaming space with numerous card players, so keeping games contained is important. 2-a crowded ship looks more realistic to me than the pictures of 12 crew running around a huge ship that I've see in WD. The packed nature of our ships leads to tactical concerns, because our shooters are often at the rails when boarding occurs. Blunderbusses become the swivel guns of our ships. 2 blunderbuss shots can shoot a crew to doll rags.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeSat 16 May 2009 - 5:18

Scenarios.
I have 3 ship scenarios so far:

The Dragon’s Teeth (Please forgive the formating.)

Background. East of Sartosa, near the southern tip of the island, stands the Dragon’s Tooth Castle. Its highest tower has a beacon light that can be lit to warn ships of the Dragon’s Teeth Reef or it can be dowsed to lure them to the reef. In these troubled times, more often than not the light is not lit. Then tragic things happen along the reef. Why just last night a lumbering merchantman broke up on the rocks, her crews’ cries were heard for miles. If you hurry your crew may be able to save those brave men, or at least their cargo…

Terrain
A coastal sea, the beach is not visible but the western edge of the table should be strewn with a ragged line of boulders to represent the reef. The boulders should be set up from 9 to 18 inches from the western table edge and from 3 to 9 inches apart. There must be several gaps for small ships to sail through but also clumps of boulders to trap the unwary.

Set-up
1. Place D3+2 wreckage counters among the boulders. These counters must be placed at least 8 inches from a table edge and 6 inches from each other. No counter may be placed more than 6 inches from the closest boulder.
2. Roll a d6 to determine which player sets up first. A player must deploy his ship in the center of whichever table edge he chooses with the bow facing the center of the board. The ship’s boat and any other boats the player may own must be placed within 12 inches of the ship and not farther than 8 inches from the table edge. His opponent must place his ship and boats along the opposite table edge with the ship placed in the center.
3. Once both players have placed all their models, determine the direction of the prevailing wind.

Special Rules
1. The wrack and ruin. Each wreckage counter may be inspected by a boat or ship ending its movement adjacent to the counter (touching). At the end of the movement phase roll a D6, on a 1 or 2 the counter represents 1D3 cargo, on a roll of 3-4 there is just wreckage and on a roll of 5 or 6 there are still 1D3 crew clinging to the wreckage.
2. Salvage. A ship or boat may take the cargo or crew on board on its next turn provided there is room. Remember that the ship/boat must move its minimum distance unless it is anchored. A boat/ship traveling at a speed of greater than 6 inches may not load crew or cargo.
3. ‘ware the Reef! A ship that finds itself within 3 inches of a boulder for whatever reason must test to see if it has run aground. A ship that is touching a boulder must roll for collision damage and has run aground!
4. Mon On’cle. The sea monster known as Mon On’cle has made the reef his home. At the start of the second turn and for every player turn thereafter, each player must roll a D6. On the roll of a 1 or less, 1D6 of On’cle’s tentacles will rise to the surface. On’cle is drawn to loud noises and the sounds of distressed creatures. If on the previous player turn one or more handguns or pistols were fired or ship’s crewmen (not survivors) are in the water, subtract 1 from the roll to see if On’cle rises. If a great gun was fired or a ship/boat has run aground subtract 2 from the roll. All of these possible occurrences are cumulative, thus shooting pistols at crew in the water will cause a modifier of –2.
5. Feeding Time. On’cle’s tentacles will rise in a clump in the middle of the game board. Once the number of tentacles has been determined the players take turns placing them within 8 inches of the center of the table. The player whose turn it is places the first tentacle. No tentacle may be placed more than 6 inches from another. Once all tentacles have been placed they will move up to their full move toward the nearest source of food. If there is a choice between targets the tentacles will take a single model first, a rowboat second and a ship third. Add a monster turn after the player turn of the player who moved second. Once tentacles have appeared they will continue to appear until 6 have surfaced. Once 6 are in play no other tentacles need to be rolled for until all 6 have been destroyed or dragged prey beneath the waves, in which case the process starts again…
6. Reach. A tentacle may attack a target adjacent to it or within 3 inches of its base.
7. All Wrapped Up. If both tentacle attacks hit a warrior (man or ogre) the model is entangled in the coils and will be dragged beneath the sea. At the end of the next combat turn the model is removed from the table and counts as a casualty. Entangled warriors may only make one attack with a dagger while entangled regardless of the number of attacks on their profile. Animals or warriors that do not suffer penalties for fighting unarmed may only make a single attack as well.
8. Lopped Off/Burp. A tentacle that has been reduced to 0 wounds does not roll for injury it counts as lopped off and disappears beneath the waves. Likewise a tentacle that has captured food will not return to the surface until all tentacles have been lopped off or delivered food.

Mine On’cle
Profile Tentacle
M6 WS3 BS0 S6 T4 W2 I4 A2 L5
Special: All Wrapped Up, Reach, Lopped Off.

Starting the game
Each player rolls a d6. The highest roll may choose to move first.

Ending the game
The game ends when all tentacles currently on the board have been destroyed or are not within 6 inches of a target AND all warbands but one have routed, or when all possible crew or cargo has been carried off a table edge.

Experience
+1 Survives. If a Hero or Henchmen group survive the battle they gain +1 experience.
+1 Winning leader.
+1 per enemy out of action.
+1 for destroying a tentacle. If a hero puts the last wound on a tentacle he gains experience in addition to the +1 for enemy out of action
+1 per enemy boat/raft sunk or captured. The Hero with the highest leadership in a boat/raft which sinks an enemy vessel gains +1 experience. A hero or henchman aboard an enemy craft when it strikes its colors gain +1 experience.

Post Battle
Rescued crew may be automatically pressed as human swabbies or sold for 2d6 gold crowns for each crewman. As usual only one cargo may be opened in the post battle sequence.

The Lustian Treasure Ship

Background. An alliance of Pirate Lords has attacked the Great Lustrian Treasure Fleet. The battle has been hot and bloody, but now the various squadrons have broken up as individual captains pursue the shattered fleet. Your ship has followed this promising fat, crippled merchantman. Just as you are about to overhaul him another ship sails out of the cloud bank created by the battle. A rival!

Terrain
The open sea near the coast of the Old World. We recommend at least a 4x4 table. The ocean may sport up to d3 small islands. Islands must be no more than 3 inches radius. The islands are covered with jungle and the odd ruin or guardian statue. The islands should be placed no closer than 8 inches to one another and at least 6 inches from a board edge.

Set-up
1. Place the treasure ship in the center of the southern table edge. The ship is traveling with the wind.
2. Roll a d6 to determine which crew sets up first. Each player places his ship and any boats at least 24 inches from the treasure ship along the east or the west table edges (a player must pick one edge or the other not both). The boat/ship must be within 8 inches of a table edge.
3. Place 5 treasure counters on the ship’s decks. The counters should not be closer than 1 inch to another counter and there must be at least one on each deck section. (Fore, amidship and aft.)

Special Rules
1. Battle Damaged. The treasure ship may only move 3+d3 inches with the wind. Against the wind the ship may only move 1+d3 inches. Propulsion and the Hull have taken d6 wounds before this scenario starts. The mast has not yet fallen but her rigging is shot to hell. Also the ship counts as a Barge. (See EiF Boats) (Warhammer Ahoy! the ship counts as a medium sized ship)
2. Trapped. There are 6 crew models on the ship. The crew will fight without taking rout tests as long as Captain Billy is standing. Once the captain has gone OOA, the crew take rout tests as normal. If a test is failed the crew will surrender. Merchant crew that surrender may be pressed as normal.
3. Weather. The day is calm and clear. At the beginning of the 4th turn roll a D6. On a 6 roll on the weather table to see if the weather changes. If the weather does not change roll every turn thereafter but the target number will now be one lower, i.e., a 5+ on turn 5.
4. Gunners. Only the 2 models designated as gunners may fire the swivel guns. The guns are subject to the special rules for swivel guns cumbersome (-1 M and –1 I) and blackpowder rules (misfire on a to hit roll of 1).
5. Ammunition. There are only 2 kinds of ammunition on board for both guns. Roll a d3 twice for the types of shot carried before the game begins. 1-Ball shot. 2- Chain shot. 3-Grape shot.
6. Treasure. A model may pick up a treasure counter for 2 movement points. Roll immediately on the treasure table to determine what the treasure is. A model may carry up to 2 treasure counters. However some treasures count as 2 counters (see below). In addition to the treasure on the deck there is a chest with 2d6 gold plus 2 rolls on the treasure table in the ships hold. You must capture the ship (i.e. eliminate the crew and be the last warband on the table) to gain this treasure.

Profile Captain Billy Blood
M4 WS4 BS4 S3 T4 W2 I3 A2 L8
Special: Pegleg, Parrot, Pistolier, Acrobat, Expert Swordsman, Blind in one eye. Weapons and armor: Cutlass, dagger, brace of pistols and light armor!
Profile Crew gunner (2)
M4/3* WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3/2* A1 L7
Special: gunner, cumbersome*, blackpowder rules. Weapons and armor: Cutlass, dagger and swivel gun.
Profile Crew(4)
M4 WS3 BS3 S3 T3 W1 I3 A1 L7
Weapons and armor: Cutlass, dagger, brace of pistols.

Starting the game

Ending the game
The game ends when the merchant has surrendered or moved off the northern table edge AND/OR all warbands but one have routed. Sadly the treasure ship will sink before it can be looted of guns and ammunition. (A slow leak that went unnoticed during the fight.)

Experience
+1 Survives. If a Hero or Henchmen group survive the battle they gain +1 experience.
+1 Winning leader.
+1 for putting Captain Billy OOA. If a hero puts Billy OOA he gains experience in addition to the +1 for enemy out of action
+1 per enemy boat/ship sunk or captured. The Hero with the highest leadership in a boat/raft which sinks an enemy vessel gains +1 experience. A hero or henchman that capture an enemy craft gain +1 experience.

Treasures. Roll 2d6 for each treasure counter.
2 A chest containing a Major Artifact. (The chest counts as 2 treasure counters, i.e. a warrior can’t carry another treasure counter)
3 A suit of Ithilmar Armor. (The armor counts as 2 treasure counters, see above)
4 A small chest containing d3 doses of Healing Herbs.
5 A small chest containing 5d6 gold coins.
6 A small chest containing 4d6 gold coins.
7 A small chest containing 3d6 gold coins.
8 D3 gems worth 10 gold each.
9 A small chest containing d6 doses of Black Lotus.
10 A small chest containing d3 doses of Dark Venom
11 A chest containing a Minor Artifact. (The chest counts as 2 treasure counters, see above)
12 A treasure chest containing 5d6 gold coins and 2 of the above items, roll twice. (The treasure chest follows the normal rules for treasure chests, half move for one warrior normal move for 2 warriors, may not run, cast spells or shoot. Drop if attacked. Re-roll any additional rolls of 12 when rolling for a chest’s contents)

Duel on the High Seas

Background. The day has been grand! Just this morning you made a nice haul. Now you sail on the open sea with none to oppose you and soon you will return to port and the joys of a victorious crew.
“Sail ho,” cries the lookout! Two words may change the course of the day.

Terrain
An open sea. There may be a small island or a cluster of rocks, but terrain should be minimal.

Set-up
1. Roll a d6 to determine which player sets up first. A player must deploy his ship in the center of whichever table edge he chooses with the bow facing the center of the board. The ship’s boat and any other boats the player may own may be placed within 12 inches of the ship and not farther than 8 inches from the table edge. (The ship’s boat may always start aboard the ship as well.) His opponent must place his ship and boats along the opposite table edge with the ship placed in the center.
2. Once both players have placed all their models, determine the direction of the prevailing wind.

Special Rules
1. Cargo. The crew with the lowest warband rating begins the game with D3 cargo on their ship.
2. Shark Infested Waters. Whenever a warrior or animal begins a player turn in the water roll a D6. On a roll of a 1 a shark swarm surfaces adjacent to a randomly determined model (if there are more than one possible targets) and attacks it! Once the sharks have taken the model OOA, they will move toward the next possible victim until no swimmers are in the water. Sharks always benefit from soft cover. Continue to roll to see if more sharks appear as long as there are possible victims. Once there are no targets all sharks will dive below the surface to lurk until the next victim lands in the water. If a new victim appears, the sharks will resurface with any wounds restored.
3. Weather. The weather is clear when the game begins. At the beginning of turn 4 roll a D6, on a roll of 6 the weather will change. Roll on the Sartosa weather table to determine the new weather. If no 6 is rolled, roll again at the beginning of turn 5. The weather will change on a 5+. On turn 6, a 4+ will be needed, etc.

Profile Sharks
M12 WS5 BS0 S4 T3 W3 I3 A3 LNA
Special: A shark swarm is OOA when all its wounds are gone.

Starting the game

Ending the game
The game ends when one ship has struck its colors, or when the cargo has been carried off the opposite table edge.

Experience
+1 Winning leader.
+1 per enemy ship sunk or captured. The Hero with the highest leadership in a ship which sinks an enemy vessel gains +1 experience. A hero or henchman aboard an enemy craft when it strikes its colors gains +1 experience.

As always comments and criticism are welcome.

Last edited by Von Kurst on Tue 5 Jun 2012 - 0:47; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : Thanks for catching that SFK!)
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeTue 19 May 2009 - 19:12

I want to play ship battles so bad! I need to focus on regular mordheim terrain first though!

I really like your scenarios, the dragons teeth is my favorite.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeWed 20 May 2009 - 21:40

Von Kurst wrote:

The Sartosa setting has amendments to the Ahoy! rules to make them less deadly and costly in a Mordheim setting. For example if a model falls overboard in Ahoy! rules it loses all of its equipment! Realistic, but ouch! Some of the amendments are not intuitive, for example a model that falls overboard can climb back on automatically without rolling for initiative. This makes failing a leap roll much less of a pain than it is on dry land.

As far as the climbing back aboard, I think that more so applies to rowboats, rafts, and other 'smaller' boats. When dealing with BIG boats, I'd recommend the rules for 'LARGE BOATS." In Sartosa, they are basically used as stationary scenery, but with your rules, they'd be able to move and shoot.

The exception, of course, is all ships should be equal in strength. Which means that if the only two boats available to the group have unequal sizes (ex. one has 4" tall gunwales and one has 6" gunwales), then the advantage should not rest solely with the group with a bigger boat. Find some way to balance it, by either ignoring the higher/lower gunwale rules, or unanimously agreeing on an equal benefit (gets ropes and hopes and may start first; has an extra round of cannon fire at the start up; opponent has an extra 25 points towards underdog bonus; trade off ships each game, etc).

SCENARIOS
The 'Wrecking Scenario is another that would probably work well, if I had to guess. Also, I THINK (but not sure,) that the Dragon's Teeth castle is on the EAST side of Sartosa.

Other than that, is it cool if I add this to the the Styroheim site whenever you're done?
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009 - 0:28

von kurst and playtable are the best gamers to play with, they both taught me a lot about being creative, making terrain and fair and balanced play.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009 - 0:34

@Da Bank--Thanks for the props mate! Stop in for a visit if you can,

@SFK--East side! Oops! Arr! Me charts was buggered! No wonder we never rolled it, we were looking on the wrong end of the island!

Of course you may add them!

The building of ships has been an issue. Only Playtable and I have different sized ships to chose from at present. EvilTed has a huge ship and that's it. So we've been using our smallest ships since Playtable has 4 nearly identical ones and I have a similar ship to his. If we go up a size, then I have 2 large ships and Playtable has 1. Not enough to go around since we could need up to 7 at once, but so far have only needed the 5 we have at once.

We haven't tried Wrecking with ships yet, maybe next time around.

@Pathfinder--Thanks! We hope to actually play the Dragon's Teeth Thursday if everyone shows up!

Yarr!
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009 - 19:27

I saw some ships at a local store down here on sale. I will see if they still have them.

They are plastic pirate ships but they will need painted as they tend to use bright colors for some reason.

If they have them at a good price I will let you know and send you some pics.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeThu 21 May 2009 - 21:38

Thanks mate!

Why are the ships elsewhere on sale? I looked around on the south side last night and $35 was the cheapest. I noticed that King Arthur ship that you have for $45, but it goes way up from there. Also none of them were particularly small. We're looking for ships in the 11"-14" range for the next step up. We have the huge ships covered--unless you see a cheap Megablocks Flying Dutchman....
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009 - 3:34

There is a store down here called Bell's. It is like a "kohl's". I got two "decent' plastic pirate ships for $10 each as they were on sale. I will check them out this weekend and see if they have them.

I believe these are in the 14" inch range.

I would love to have the megablocks one.
Back to top Go down
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009 - 3:40

Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeSat 23 May 2009 - 21:56

Playtesting the scenarios--All of the scenarios have now received at least one playtest. I haven't counted exactly but we played the Duel on the High Seas 4 times the first night. The Lustrian Treasure Ship has been played twice as a 2 Player scenario and once as a Multi-player scenario. I haven't run into anything I feel the need to change from the palytests with my group of players. I would appreciate any input from people who don't have me in the room.

The Dragon's Teeth. This scenario has eluded us for the last 12 weeks. I made it a required scenario on last Thurs. Our newest warbands and our least experienced players drew the scenario. They had a number of problems/unpleasant discoveries.

The number of rocks and their location during the game--There can be too few rocks and too many rocks. I gave them 8 rocks to set up.

"The boulders should be set up from 9 to 18 inches from the western table edge and from 3 to 9 inches apart. There must be several gaps for small ships to sail through but also clumps of boulders to trap the unwary."

The person placing terrain for this game read this sentence to mean that the rocks had to be within 9 inches of the designated western table edge. Is it that confusing the way its worded? His set up resulted in rocks being set up next to the table edge which meant that the wreckage markers were closer to the table edge than I had envisioned.

I had read the Ahoy! rules for running aground many times before writing this scenario, but I had not appreciated how deadly they could be to ships until I watched others play. No one wants to run aground!

My players wanted the wreckage and set it up accordingly, but by the rules it is possible to make the wreckage almost inaccessible to ships. I'm not yet sure that this is a problem. For some reason I believed that ship's boats were not able to run aground in Ahoy! rules, but I think I was thinking of General's Compendium rules for Dingys. I need to clarify this.

Mine Oncle the sea monster played a small role in this battle because the player that activated him did not understand that he had found a possible ally. He graciously set up the first tentacle in the center of the table, which allowed his opponent to build a line of tentacles to the activating player's ship. Faced with attacks from 3 tentacles and enemy shooting, the Khorne player struck his colors.

How the monster attacks a ship needs to be clarified. On a 1-4 the monster attacks the hull of the ship. On a 5 or 6 it attacks the nearest warband model(s).

Please send me your reactions to any games you play or post them on this thread.
js

Last edited by Von Kurst on Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 2:47; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeMon 10 Aug 2009 - 22:57

A preliminary draft of a scenario for a Lustrian campaign

The Sea Wolves
Background.
Your warband has found a safe harbour along the coast either on a small coastal island or along one of the broad rivers. Unfortunately your enemies have discovered your lair…

Terrain
The river/sea covers roughly half of a 4x4 table. The water may vary from 36 to 12 inches wide, but one table edge should be counted as all water and the opposite edge as all land. The water may contain 1 small (3” diameter) island. The rest of the table is counted as land. The defender may set up a small watchtower and 12” of sea wall on land within 6 inches of the water. The defender also has a number of huts or tents equal to his warband’s number of warriors (not counting animals) divided by 3. The huts or tents must be set up within 12 inches of the landward board edge and 3 inches of each other. The defender also places his ship and a section of dock along the shore within 12 inches of the center of the table. The dock should be touching the shore and one of the ship’s long edges should touch the dock. The ship is assumed to be at anchor. Once the basic features are set the board may be further embellished with jungle, crags, guardian statues and camp supplies and equipment (barrels and crates, stacked arms, cooking fires, etc.). The camp area should be cleared of jungle (no jungle within 3 inches of a tent) and there should be an obvious cleared path to the landing area.

Set-up
1. The defender places his forces first. 1 model may be placed in the tower as a sentry. 2 other models may be placed on or with in 1 inch of the sea wall as sentries. 1 model may be placed on the ship as a sentry. 1 other model may be assigned to the ship but is assumed to be asleep when the scenario begins. All other warriors must be assigned to a tent. (Write their location on a piece of paper before the battle.) Animals may be placed within 3 inches of a tent or sentry. The defender may place one of the war machines from his ship on the shore in the tower or within 3 inches of it.
2. The attacker must place his ship in the water with its stern touching a non-land board edge. His ship’s boat and any other boats he may own may be set up in the water within 6 inches of a table edge and at least 3 inches from land. Up to half of the attacking warriors (round up) must set up on the ship. The other half may set up in the ship’s boats or on land within 6 inches of a table edge and not in the attacker’s normal charge range of an enemy model. (I.e. a human warrior must be more than 8 inches from an enemy model or a tent, tower, etc.) Amphibious warriors may set up in the water as per boats.
3. Infiltrators. The attacker may infiltrate as normal. The defender may not.

Special Rules.
1. Ships. Use the Warhammer Ahoy! rules for ships in this scenario. The raiding ship is moving at a speed of 4 inches on the first turn of the scenario.
2. The Dark before the Dawn. The first full game turn of the scenario uses the RotC rules for Darkness. At the beginning of every player turn following the first roll a D6 on a roll of +4 the sun has risen. The rules for Darkness are no longer in effect. However the rising sun will blind any model attempting to shoot at an enemy to the east (or southeast or northeast). Modify all rolls to hit by one for shots to the east. (I.e. if an warrior needed a 3 to hit normally with a missile weapon they now need a 4 if shooting into the rising sun.) Note that the attacker must identify one board edge as East once the sun rises.
3. Sentries! Use the rules for Sentries from Relics of the Crusades.
4. Fire! Use the rules from TC#8 “Let the Damned Burn.” All structures and the ships may be set on fire by a model with a torch or fire arrows. Cannon and bolt throwers may set things on fire as per Warhammer Ahoy! rules. If any structures (tents, huts or the tower) are on fire at the start of a defending player’s turn he must count the structure on fire as a warrior OOA for the purposes of determining rout tests for that turn.
5. Cannon. Cannon mounted on a ship must be aimed by maneuvering the ship. Thus any guns on the anchored ship may only fire in the direction they are pointing. A cannon on land may be turned to fire in any direction without penalty. A cannon firing at targets on land must add a second roll of the artillery dice to the first roll. The second roll is the ‘bounce’. Any model or structure touched by a bouncing cannon ball is hit. The tower and the sea wall will stop a cannon ball. It bounces no further once it touches the tower or wall. A tent or hut will not stop a bouncing cannon ball. D3 models in a structure that is wounded by a cannonball will take a St 4 hit from flying debris.
6. Flimsy. Tents and huts will be totally destroyed if they are wounded by a cannon ball. Do not roll to see how many wounds the cannon ball inflicts. However do check to see if a fire starts and roll for damage to any models inside the structure as above. If a fire starts it will last for D3 turns as the ruins of the tent are consumed.
7. Surprise! The Defender’s models that are not sentries must take an entire turn in which they do nothing before they count as armed. Unarmed models may still count any charms or Rabbits Feet they own, but may not benefit from armor or other equipment. (Cloaks, etc.)

Starting the game
Each player rolls a d6. The attacker adds +2 to his roll. The highest roll gains the first player turn.

Ending the game
The game ends when only one warband has not routed.

Experience
+1 Winning leader.
+1 for a hero that sets a structure or ship on fire. If an attacking hero starts a fire, he gains +1 experience.
+1 per enemy boat/ship sunk or captured. The Hero with the highest leadership in a boat/raft which sinks an enemy vessel gains +1 experience. A hero or henchman with the highest leadership aboard an enemy craft that’s captured gain +1 experience. (I.e. there are no enemy models aboard the ship at the end of a turn or the ship has struck its colors.)

Comments and criticism welcome!

Last edited by Von Kurst on Tue 5 Jun 2012 - 0:50; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
black mantis
Champion
Champion
black mantis

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Chaos Dwarfs (BTB) Chaos Dwarfs (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeTue 11 Aug 2009 - 2:21

tHANKS For posting this - it looks awesome. I too have tried with my friends playing the GC version of naval warfare. I look forward thorougly reading your vesion for use in our games. Our gameboard is currently in the works.
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeWed 12 Aug 2009 - 2:46

You are welcome!

We've been having all kinds of fun with ships and Mordheim. Pictures of our battles are here--

https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/battle-reports-and-fluff-f11/pirates-of-sartosa-the-venerable-mordheim-campaign-photos-t1577-25.htm

We only have one 'water' table. So often we end up on our black painted boards which don't look as nice. The ships still sail though!

Fair winds mate!
Back to top Go down
Von Kurst
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
Von Kurst

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeWed 20 Jan 2010 - 1:36

Sea monster link

http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=32033.0

Perfect for the Dragon's Teeth!
Back to top Go down
Fungomungus
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010 - 4:55

Man thats a truly awesome idea for the sea monster! I saw that same playmobil, and thought "thats would be freaking awesome!" But I didnt have the vision of basing them individually, pure genius!
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010 - 13:15

Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/view/wyldhauntsmordheim
Knightei
Knight
Knight
Knightei

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Kislevites Kislevites

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010 - 18:47

the playmobil is actually a good idea... GW does one but it may be more expensive
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules   Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Duel on the High Seas--Ship battles w/ Mordheim rules
Page 1 of 1