Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Professional Interest Poll

Go down 
+10
Ethlorien
Paluke
Admin Tom
WarbossKurgan
KRUG_666
Duce
Svenn
Ezekiel
Chad
DeafNala
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2

What is your field of interest?
Physical Science: Physics, Astronomy, Chemistry, etc.
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Life Science: Biology, Ecology, etc.
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 6 ]
Engineering
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 5 ]
Mathematics
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap5%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 5% [ 2 ]
Literature
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Humanities
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Social Science: Psychology, Sociology, etc.
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap11%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 11% [ 5 ]
History
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap14%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 14% [ 6 ]
Arts: Visual, Auditory, etc.
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap22%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 22% [ 10 ]
Linguistics
Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap0%Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 44

Poll closed

AuthorMessage
folketsfiende
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
folketsfiende

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Professional Interest Poll   Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009 - 9:05

Quote :
Mordheim & such beasties would be more the realm of those with artistic/poetical/romantic natures
That's an interesting and probably mostly correct view, DeafNala! Never thought of it that way...
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Professional Interest Poll   Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009 - 17:28

Admin Tom wrote:
WarbossKurgan wrote:
I'm a TaeKwon-Do Black Belt and instructor so I ticked Life Science: Biology, Ecology, etc. and Physical Science: Physics, Astronomy, Chemistry, etc.

I have to say that confused me a little my dear WBK Smile

Martial Arts = sports
Physics, chemistry = not sports
UnderBheit wrote:
but either way you look at it, the study of martial arts is not related to physical science.
A lot of Tae Kwon-Do is based on the principles of Newtonian Physics. It has sport elements (sparring competitions and such) but that is only a very small part of what it’s teachings and principles include. It is a relatively new martial art (it was first named in the 1950s) that has elements of an ancient, traditional Korean style as well as some of the effective things from Japanese and Chinese martial art styles. It is not a “fixed” style that is kept exactly the way it has always been taught for hundreds of year just “because that’s how it’s always been taught” – it is tested, developed and adjusted by constant (scientific) observation/experience.

So I ticked physical sciences because I have an interest in that area that has been increased by being involved in Tae Kwon-Do. I “unticked” it because it wasn’t made clear when I made my choices that the poll was about university/college study, rather than what we are currently involved in.

UnderBheit wrote:
I felt the question above the pole implied a single area of study
If you wanted a single answer, why tick the "yes" radio button for the Multiple Choice option when setting up the poll?

UnderBheit wrote:
But at least now I know why they have to print "Hot" on coffee. Razz
That was uncalled-for and I'm somewhat offended by it to be honest No

Last edited by WarbossKurgan on Fri 15 May 2009 - 1:03; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Professional Interest Poll   Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu 14 May 2009 - 17:39

I am going to study economics by the end of the year, so that's social science for me Smile
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Professional Interest Poll   Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009 - 1:12

WarbossKurgan wrote:

A lot of Tae Kwon-Do is based on the principles of Newtonian Physics. It has sport elements (sparring competitions and such) but that is only a very small part of what it’s teachings and principles include. It is a relatively new martial art (it was first named in the 1950s) that has elements of an ancient, traditional Korean style as well as some of the effective things from Japanese and Chinese martial art styles. It is not a “fixed” style that is kept exactly the way it has always been taught for hundreds of year just “because that’s how it’s always been taught” – it is tested, developed and adjusted by constant (scientific) observation/experience.

So I ticked physical sciences because I have an interest in that area that has been increased by being involved in Tae Kwon-Do. I “unticked” it because it wasn’t made clear when I made my choices that the poll was about university/college study, rather than what we are currently involved in.

UnderBheit wrote:
But at least now I know why they have to print "Hot" on coffee. Razz
That was kind of uncalled for No

Yeah, sometimes my sense of humor is a bit to sharp silent apologies.
Fact is, I think your accomplishments in Tae Kwon-Do are impressive in themselves and there is not need to relate them to other fields.
Being a Black Belt anything is stand alone awesome.
Cathayan Monk 2
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Professional Interest Poll   Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009 - 11:19

Not in Portugal, it's not. A small child (I know several who have) can get a black-belt in karate after 3 years of an hour a week. I know someone in England who had to do 6 hours week for years to achieve anything at all.
Back to top Go down
WarbossKurgan
Distinguished Poster
Distinguished Poster
WarbossKurgan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Professional Interest Poll   Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009 - 12:29

UnderBheit wrote:
Yeah, sometimes my sense of humor is a bit to sharp silent apologies.
Apology accepted Very Happy
No worries matey.

Chad wrote:
Not in Portugal, it's not. A small child (I know several who have) can get a black-belt in karate after 3 years of an hour a week. I know someone in England who had to do 6 hours week for years to achieve anything at all.
The junior syllabus to get to Cadet Black Belt (in TKD) is less demanding than the adult one (obviously, for physical development reasons!) but not all martial arts schools are as rigorous in their standards as they should be.
Back to top Go down
http://www.flameon.co.uk
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Professional Interest Poll   Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri 15 May 2009 - 12:47

I see, but they were in a class with adults who were progressing at the same level. But personally, I just don't trust their teacher. He has a certificate on his wall that's the same as the ones he prints out and gives to his students, and he cut the time until my friends next upgrade test for making a Bombeiro cry (a Bombeiro is a Portuguese-fireman, they are regarded as something like the Thunderbirds only they drive Unimogs and run more people over than are killed by fires. In short, they are exceptionally tough and unpaid).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Professional Interest Poll   Professional Interest Poll - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Professional Interest Poll
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2