Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band

Go down 
+2
Chad
gubnutz
6 posters
AuthorMessage
gubnutz
Warrior
Warrior
gubnutz

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Empty
PostSubject: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 15:08

I have been away from Mordheim for a long time. Got back in very recently and put together a Carnival of Chaos army. Wanted to get some input from the vets.

Carnival Master
Axe
Sword

Brute
2 Handed Weapon

Brute
Flail

Tainted One
Hammer
Mace
Bloated Foulness

Plague Bearer

Brethren Group 1
Axe Shield, might use the dagger for additional attack but the shields were too cool to not use

Brethren Group 2
Hammer
Mace

Nurgling

In hindsight might have been better to go with Maces on the Axe/Shield Brethren but I had some extra axes from the Marauder sprue and they looked cool.

Anyway thanks for any comments.

Gub
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 15:12

Well, two hand weapons are always better than one weapon and a sheild. Maces are better than axes. Don't use flails myself, but I know they can be effective. Two handers (without the strongman skill) are more trouble than their worth, two maces are better than a two-hander (and less than half the cost).
Back to top Go down
gubnutz
Warrior
Warrior
gubnutz

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 15:57

I figured that would be the case. Problem is I have converted the band to have the axe and shield already. Not really sure on that one at the moment.

As for the 2 Hander the Brutes come with the Strongman skill so the 2hander and the flail will not force them to strike last plus I get the ST bonus with them. Flail was more a matter of running out of points. Would have preferred to take both Brutes with 2 handers but what can you do?

Will look into grabbing a Mace instead of the axe, need to dig in the ole bits box I guess.

Gub
Back to top Go down
Duredhel
Hero
Hero
Duredhel

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 17:10

The flail doesn't have the strike last disadvantage, so you are losing the strongman bonus if using a flail rather than a 2hander (and the +2Str would only apply in the first turn of combat with the flail), so it is definitely better to take a 2H weapon for the brutes.
Back to top Go down
gubnutz
Warrior
Warrior
gubnutz

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 17:49

Oh, good to know. I guess I will have to drop the Nurgling to upgrade that to a 2Handed weapon. Thanks for the catch. That will mean I have some GC in the old stash box as well. I will buy a Nurgling or 2 after a couple of battles maybe.

Gub
Back to top Go down
gubnutz
Warrior
Warrior
gubnutz

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 17:51

On second thought if I drop the Axes to Maces on the shield unit of Brethren I can get the 2 Handed weapon and keep the Nurg. I might go that route after all.

Gub
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 20:09

Flails and 2-handed weapons both cost 15gc so no need to drop anything else. Unless there is something different with Carnival that I have forgotten about.
Back to top Go down
gubnutz
Warrior
Warrior
gubnutz

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeTue 21 Apr 2009 - 20:13

In the CoC rules it lists the 2handers as 15 and the flails as 10. I shifted some things around though and gave the Tainted one Mark of Nurgle rather than Bloated Foulness so points were freed up.

Gub
Back to top Go down
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Ancient
Ancient
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009 - 10:36

Yeah, brutes are really frightening with 2h-weapons, they must carry one ! Very Happy
For the blessing, I choose Mark of Nurgle or/and cloud of flies. And you must have a second tainted one ! Take the bretonnian jester and convert it a little, you'll have an excellent tainted one Smile
And for henchmen, I just pick 2 Bethrens with a mace at the beginning, and buy a PB on the second battle (if I loose no one).
Back to top Go down
gubnutz
Warrior
Warrior
gubnutz

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009 - 14:30

Do you not find that this makes you have far too few people on the board? Granted you have a very tough band but it seems small. 2 Brethren plus 5 Heroes means Rout Tests will come early if things go south.

I have looked at the Jester fig and will be getting him for sure. In addition I think that the double dipping on blessings is a good idea but man that double cost on the second one is a bugger.

Gub
Back to top Go down
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Ancient
Ancient
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeWed 22 Apr 2009 - 14:57

I know it, the blessings are expensive, but I'm playing the way played by matt : it's riskey to take a minotaur, but I want one, so I pick it...
It's the same there, sometimes you'll see just one tainted one with 3 blessings, sometimes 2 with just one blessing. It's depends on what I want to play ! But definitely, 7 characters are too few, and if you have experimented opponents, they will for sure use it... You can add Nurglings for 9 minis, and it's surely usefull if you want, but I prefer take one more blessing Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitimeThu 23 Apr 2009 - 9:23

My friend takes one tainted to start, a couple brethren, and several nurglings. The nurglings basically shield the warband until the brutes and tainted get into combat. With their ridiculous stats and the added cloud of flies from the nurglings, the aftermath usually isn't very pretty. It can be a risky tactic though as if you lose one of your heroes, you're already down to 3 exploration rolls. However, with the added henchmen, you can usually voluntarily rout before hero losses if things look like they're going to turn sour.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band   starting - Been away a long time.  Carnival of Chaos starting band Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Been away a long time. Carnival of Chaos starting band
Page 1 of 1