Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

My alternative Japanese Mordheim

Go down 
+22
Dalia
ChuckECheese
REKONE
Rabu
Oberon
Svenn
MagnoliaFan
Admin Tom
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Blackjack13
Identity
Duce
Ezekiel
Eliazar
Paluke
cianty
Scallen
Chad
blitzkrieg bob
DeafNala
Ash
lilljonas
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

Trading Reputation : 0

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Empty
PostSubject: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 22:21

I have built a Samurai army for about two years now, using it as a WHFB counts-as Empire army. Recently a friend at my local club showed an interest in collecting Samurai too, but getting enough troops to start playing actual historical battles would take quite a long time. But why not try out some skirmish gaming? Flicking through the Mordheim rules we realized that it needed very few modifications to work in a Japanese context. Make armour cheaper, ban crossbows, make pistols rarer, modify the warbands, rename wyrdstone "loot" and hey presto!

Anyhow. With a few trial games done, we are now busy cranking out enough themed terrain to not have to slog it out over burned out 40K ruins and ork huts.

First house: Batayori's Barracks

This was my first real scratch built terrain ever, barring some popsicle pin crap as a young gamer. I used mostly cardboard, tape and drinking straws, fumbling in the dark as I really had no idea what I was doing.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Byggahus2drr

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Byggahus5trpanel

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Byggahus6fnster

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Byggahus9takplattor

And finally:

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Klarthusframifrn

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Klarthusbakifrn

I quickly realized that this was not a very practical way to do roofs, and I can promise that I haven't tried it out again since. Very Happy

It also has no interior, which is fine for our WHFB games but quickly turned out useless in our trial games. That, and a single entrance point with no real windows made it a rather pointless building for skirmish games. Oh well, it was a start at least.
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 22:30

For the next house, I got out and bought some foamcore and it was a hundred times better than working with corrugated cardboard for the walls.

House 2: Goemon the Woodcutter's Cabin

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P3250035

I made it really simple, with just a frame of foamcore covered with cut out slices of cereal box cardboard. Toothpicks and greenstuff became a hatchet and a pick, to make it look more like someone actually live in the house.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P3240030

This time I made a thatched roof instead, one made out of spare bath towels.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P3280036

And it is finished. I sort of chickened out and made no actual interior, but put in a front door and a back door so that it would be a bit more useful, and unlike the barracks the roof is removable. But still, a big empty room is not all that exciting.

Remmelt55 likes this post

Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 22:39

House 3: Sadamasa's Farmhouse

Now it was time for a real project.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4010048

I used the same techniques, but actually cut out the door and the windows. I had also gotten the balsa wood I ordered from a airplane modelling store, so I could do new things that I could not do earlier, such as the supports on the front side of the house. I was not really planning to do the interior at first, but once I got started I realized that I could try to do flooring by pressing in the actual planks with a pen on a piece of foamcore. Soon I was making an actual interior.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4010050

From the back:
mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4010049

Painting was a breeze, just repeating successfully lighter brown drybrush layers.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4020054

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4040057

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4040004

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4050005

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4050006

So the first real house with interior and everything was done. While vastly better than the first two houses, I had still made a house with just one entry point and negligible windows. D'oh!
Back to top Go down
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 22:40

Wow, you made that first building look great, given the materials you used! The 2nd building is great as well. I gasped when I read you used a bath towel for the roof...my wife would have a fit!
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 22:44

Last for tonight is a watchtower. These were often built for the firefighters to be able to keep vigil of a town and quickly see smoke and fire, but they also make excellent (but very exposed) sniper positions!

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4050008

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4130063

Ash: Well, if you buy a new towel... and tell your girlfriend/wife something like "honey, I noticed that our towels are a bit scruffy, so I bought us some new ones! I threw away this old rag" you will come off as a hero rather than a marauding looter. Wink
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeFri 17 Apr 2009 - 22:51

The first two buildings are REALLY quite nice, but the third IS a BEAUTY! That's quite impressive progress. The first & second ones are still usable as impassable terrain that blocks LOS. VERY WELL DONE! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Ash
General
General
Ash

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009 - 1:16

Oooo! I love the watchtower! What a fun pice of terrain to have on the table. I may just make one ro two this weekend...
Back to top Go down
blitzkrieg bob
Veteran
Veteran
blitzkrieg bob

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009 - 12:58

very nice thumbsup thumbsup , love all the far east way, watchtower is copie lol!
best
Back to top Go down
http://dooddminiatures.blogspot.com/
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009 - 13:08

Wicked! It all looks very proffesional, especially given the materials used.
Back to top Go down
Scallen
Warrior
Warrior
Scallen

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009 - 13:57

Really cool.
I like these japanese Stuff.

Were do you buy your models?
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009 - 17:18

COOL WATCHTOWER! That's the nicest piece thus far. It has a VERY Japanese feel to it; it also looks rather delicate. May it survive the rigors of the Gaming Table Suspect . WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSat 18 Apr 2009 - 17:39

That's some really nice stuff you got there. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Paluke
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Paluke

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009 - 1:02

Im impressed with what You can DO with so little material... Shocked

I can learn some things from this Smile thanks!

And keep up the good work !!!!
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009 - 2:46

House 4: The Remote Retreat

For the next house I wanted to try out something fancier, so while this will not be the house of noble it might be a hunting retreat of a mid-tier samurai or a secondary house on the estate of a wealthier person. For this I wanted to try to make tatami style floors, a porch and some tile roofing.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4060010

I started out with etching out the floor design on the foamcore

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4060013

Balsa sticks will give sturdiness while more foamcore is used for the walls.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4060014

The walls themselves are finished. Now for the fiddly part.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4080016

Strips of cardboard and balsa are used to get a more interesting wall structure. These types of walls are still very common in Japan.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4150065-1

I cover everything in cheap black acrylics. I've started to use GESSO for my priming, but I had forgotten the tub at home.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4150068-1

The tiled roof is made of ceral box cardboard covered by a layer of corrugated cardboard, and balsa. This small roof is not removable, but there should be plenty of room to move miniatures. By now the base is painted because it is impossible to reach under the elevated house. I'm planning to add other stuff on the base, but then I'll just re-paint those parts.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4150069-1

The big roof is prepared with cardboard. This is a very fiddly part and required a great deal of trial and error.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4150080-1

Bath towel roof is finished, with some flower pot sticks lending support. I'll see if I can get it painted tomorrow.

Thanks for all the positive feedback, I'll do my best to live up to them Wink

Scallen: I buy most of my models from Perry Miniatures (http://perry-miniatures.com), since I think that they simply make the best 28mm historical miniatures out there. They are mostly geared towards big battlefield soldiers in late 16th century, so recently though I have bought some Museum Miniature samurai too to fill out gaps such as unarmed retainers and villagers. For Mordheim I'm thinking of buying some from The Assault Group too, since their range is for several centuries earlier than PM. This means that they have an entirely different arsenal with things like samurai with bows and two handed weapons. If you are interested I could put up some images.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009 - 11:09

Really impressive. I like that a lot! Now I wanna see it painted. Laughing bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009 - 11:52

VERY ATTRACTIVE! That IS a lovely little building. When you run out of towels, you might try faux fur of the sort that stuffed animals are made of; it's available from craft stores [if you value your life & wellbeing, DON'T even think about your Girlfriend's Teddy Bear Suspect ]. This IS going to be a beauty when completed. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! thumbsup

Last edited by DeafNala on Sun 19 Apr 2009 - 22:40; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009 - 12:08

Awesome! THat's a really impressive looking village, I might try my hands on this as well Smile
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009 - 13:00

Ohh my! this looks extremele good! I'm in awe of your eye for reality and detail! Please keep us updated!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
blitzkrieg bob
Veteran
Veteran
blitzkrieg bob

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009 - 20:15

bounce bounce bounce bounce oh yeeahh, i I love you that bounce bounce bounce bounce
Back to top Go down
http://dooddminiatures.blogspot.com/
Scallen
Warrior
Warrior
Scallen

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeSun 19 Apr 2009 - 22:10

Quote :
If you are interested I could put up some images.
I yes that would be nice.

Oh, these houses were so nice.
I thing I gonna build some like these by my own.
Back to top Go down
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009 - 13:39

House 5: Hiroda's Hut

While the primer is drying on the last building, I finished off building another one. This time I wanted a smaller house, probably a peasant's hut. After all I want to start the actual campaign soon, and then it is more effective to build a lot of smaller houses than spending two months on a huge project. Smile

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4130062

The ground work was done in the same fashion as the last house with the porch etc, just smaller.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4190003

I added some rocks made out of modelling clay for easier access to the porch. Then the usual detailing with wooden paneling etc. The small square in the middle of the room will be a fireplace.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4190002

The foundation of the roof is done with cardboard. I added some firewood made out of sticks from the local park on the outside for some extra atmosphere.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4190001

Same progress, but from the front. A small walkway was made of the same modeling clay.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4190004

A simple thatched roof is added.

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim P4190005

And it's done. Now I just need to wait for the glue to dry, and then it's priming time.

Scallen: I really love the Perry sculpts, so here's some of my samurai:

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Transfers003a

Standard bearer and swordsmen

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Samurajera001

Mounted swordsmen

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Nykanon4

"This part goes BOOM!"

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Samurajer1002

Pikemen ashigaru (I'll add some pike rules, but they'll be pretty crappy for 1 on 1 combat just like expected)

mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Nymusket1

Samurai with muskets
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009 - 14:22

those first swordsmen banners... are those actually freehands?! they look brilliant!
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
lilljonas
Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009 - 14:26

Ezekiel wrote:
those first swordsmen banners... are those actually freehands?! they look brilliant!

No, I could never pull something like that off freehand! Very Happy They are from the ebay store Imperial Forge, though sadly they seem to have stopped selling transfers just as I wanted to buy more of them Sad
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009 - 14:38

awsome buildings, could you do a group shot for the weak willed ones of us?

Champion
Champion
lilljonas

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitimeMon 20 Apr 2009 - 14:45

Sure, they are all at the club but I'll be heading there tonight to build some more random stuff and paint my houses. I'll snap a group picture then.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My alternative Japanese Mordheim   mordheim - My alternative Japanese Mordheim Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

My alternative Japanese Mordheim
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next