Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Got high-elves - want play

Go down 
+3
Admin Tom
Drugart
Chad
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Elves - Got high-elves - want play Empty
PostSubject: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 14:17

Hi guys, just got given a box of old WHFB stuff, including an unopened box of 20 High Elf archers (and the original Gortrek and Felix!) and I was wondering if anyone has come up with a good High Elf warband yet. Or if this still a delicate subject and I'm just getting myself embroiled in *another* Shadow-Warriors-are-broken discussion (note: I don't mind getting embroiled).
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 15:12

Dont know to much on all that shadow warrior talk and stuff. Ive read that they are way OP and blah blah blah....maybe, maybe not. Ive found there is always ways to beat an opponent no matter what. Also they other side always has to rely on the 'Dice Gods'. I cant seem to remember the website, but it is here in the forums somewhere where there are lists of rules for every warband and samples of them.

My brain is not functioning yet im afriad, to many people has come in and already yelling at me....
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 17:13

There is an unofficial Shadow Warriors list. It was published as official by GW and then later deemed overpowered (if I am not mistaken) and retracted to "unofficial" status.

Be that as it may, you can perfectly well use that list to make yourself a shadow warrior warband. I don't see why not! Very Happy

The only thing that you must bear in mind though, is that your oponents will have the "law" on their side, should they refuse to have your High Elves participate in a campaign. Some groups don't like to mix official and unofficial warbands for ballancing reasons... so maybe always bring an official "backup" warband to your games.

Other than that, I would say go for it! I think an all-elf warband is certainly a very cool thing to convert, paint and play!

Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 17:48

I know about the warband you mentioned, and will probably use it. My group takes the outlook that GW know shit-all about what makes a game fun, and so unofficial or official is no indication of quality. (Look at BtB!)
So far I've just been tinkering with a list that allows me to make the best of the INSANE BS but the worst of the WS. (Also, I just realised I have a Teclis model, and there's no staffs in the Shadow Warriors list! Sad .)
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 19:18

I've played the Shadow Warriors warband a few times (with and against). Not much, mind you, but I've never had a problem with them. They have the potential to be very powerful yes, but that comes down to how you play them. If you're just looking to have fun and don't abuse there rules (which is the point of a game, in my opinion) then they're just fine.

I tried making a High Elf warband awhile back - played it a few times (or rather, my friend did). It was pretty powerfull though. Always make the mistake: never make rules for a warband you like - I always 'justify' power too easily for them. But it was fun and you could use teclis, lol.

Anyway, the Shadow Warriors is just fine for a gamer looking to have fun.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 19:23

Ethlorien wrote:
If you're just looking to have fun and don't abuse there rules (which is the point of a game, in my opinion) then they're just fine.

Absolutely! I agree 100%

Please don't power game with these guys Neutral

DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 19:55

A Fantasy World would somehow be incomplete without Elves. I'd have no one to cast disparaging remarks upon. What kind of fun WOULD that be? Deaf Nala Smiley
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 20:16

Powergame? In my country we have saying: 'play for fun, lynch those who don't'. Thanks guys, do you think giving almost all the members a longbow is overpowered?
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 20:47

Hard to say. With the right skills, yes, of course its terribly powerful. Over-powered? I don't know. Me, I let a lot of things go if the fluff is there to support it. What's your terrain?

When I play, there's so much stuff on the table, you've got to move very carefully if you want to line up a shot anyway. So if you've earned a shot, I say take it.

Keep in mind, you say you'll compensate by making them weak melee. Fair enough. But watch out - if they're so powerful at missile and your freinds can't even reach them to close combat, then no one's having fun. That said, make your friends work at it too. If there's loads of terrain but they're just running into your arrows, they can't call that overpowered - that's just bad tactics on their part.

I think your best bet is to just try 'em out, in your image, and see where it goes. If you win every game hands down, obviously there's a problem - so change it. Explain to your friends you're tinkering and see what input they have for you.
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 20:53

But I win every game hands down! ;-)
Okay, on more serious note: my terrain is very cluttered, with building height ranging from one-story hovels to seven-story buildings and a church that's over a foot-tall. Barely any open spaces (one or two small ones at the most) and lots of fences and chunks of masonry and rubble.
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeTue 14 Apr 2009 - 22:08

Chad wrote:
But I win every game hands down! ;-)
Okay, on more serious note: my terrain is very cluttered, with building height ranging from one-story hovels to seven-story buildings and a church that's over a foot-tall. Barely any open spaces (one or two small ones at the most) and lots of fences and chunks of masonry and rubble.

Is that a complaint or gloating? LOL
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009 - 16:37

it was a joke, but I do win most of the time. Or, as a friend once put it: 'I can't beat the bastard!', but he was the only one in that position.
Back to top Go down
Lanyssa Ryssyll
Ancient
Ancient
Lanyssa Ryssyll

Trading Reputation : 2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009 - 18:10

According to me, the only problem with high elves is the fluff, what did they do in Mordheim ??? silent
So, if you play a campaign in a special city, or Empire in Flames, it's okay for me...
And they're not OP if you just play for fun, trust me ! Smile
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009 - 18:14

Chad wrote:
it was a joke, but I do win most of the time. Or, as a friend once put it: 'I can't beat the bastard!', but he was the only one in that position.

Lol, I was talking about the terrain... hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009 - 18:46

For Fluff: the few times we use High Elves, we've tossed around:

-A noble son just out in the world gaining worldly experience

-A small band of evles sent to Mordheim to reclaim past artifacts

-To Hell with fluff, I want my elves in Mordheim

-A forward band of scouts sent to determine if this is but a foothold for the Realm of Chaos

Stuff like that.

It is better, in my opinion, when your background and fluff can support your warband. Makes for a nice story to me.
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitimeWed 15 Apr 2009 - 18:54

PFT: LOL, it was a gloat. It was caused by my refusal to use any bits of wood longer than a tree-trunk (to scale). So bridges and cat wlaks are kept short, keeping buildings close together, balancing out ranged combat.

As for fluff: my shadow warriors are going to be on a one-way kill-chaos mission that doesn't end until a) all chaos is wiped out (yea right) or b) they all die.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Got high-elves - want play   Elves - Got high-elves - want play Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Got high-elves - want play
Page 1 of 1