HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 8:40

Interested in the rules as well. Use my SoB for something, or just a roaving misfit gang of Orks!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 9:55

*sigh* not at the moment I'm affraid, but I can probably rope my brother into playing some one-on-one games. Why, are you looking for play-testing volunteers? If I can help, I will.

EDIT: I'm going to England soon, and if I take a couple of complete gangs/warbands/whatever with me I'll be able to get some more varied tactics from friends there. And who knows, maybe they'll make gangs of their own.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 10:22

@Drugart...I will keep you posted and add you to the growing list.

@Chad...Hopefully, soon we can send out to all. We are touching up our latest version to begin another round of 10 games to playtest. As soon as you can guarantee a playtest group I will send you the rules, other than that I will have to wait as we want feedback on actually playtesting. I will add you to the list also.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 11:03

Sorry, can't garuntee more than two.

Back on topic: has anyone brought the new 10-guy box set? 'Cos, if memory serves, the Cadian sprue has a either four torsos, four legs or both on it. So you can't get ten without splitting sprues. So there must be a new sprue, whether or nor it contains anything new remains to be seen...,
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DeafNala
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 12:14

Chad wrote:
has anyone brought the new 10-guy box set? 'Cos, if memory serves, the Cadian sprue has a either four torsos, four legs or both on it. So you can't get ten without splitting sprues. So there must be a new sprue, whether or nor it contains anything new remains to be seen...,

This COULD be a new marketing ploy for GW:
The new IG will purportedly have either 8 OR 12 minis for $22.
*insert Carnival Music*
STEP RIGHT UP! Feeling LUCKY? Pay your money, AND you COULD get 12 MINIS for the price of 10.
Of course, the keen business minds at GW would make sure ALL the boxes had 8. Suspect
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Tue 14 Apr 2009 - 12:20

Unlikely, there must be a new sprue (this could be a marketing ploy, making everyone think they've made new stuff. Well, I've said it before and I'll say it again: 'BASTARDS!').
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Wed 15 Apr 2009 - 20:23

DeafNala wrote:
We're ALL going to have to drop out of mainstream gaming, tune into Death Squad, move down by Da Bank & Mordheimer, AND form the Gamers In Exile Commune. Deaf Nala Smiley

me too! i'm in florida!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Wed 15 Apr 2009 - 20:26

Drugart wrote:
I feel ya on all this. Its getting to the point where I only want to play my Dwarf army and put my OrKs on hold or sell them off, since I can afford only one main army. *Sighs*.

Thank goodness Ive gotten into the Historical aspect of gamming, but with all the hardcore GW players out there, they only want FB or 40k, hard to russle up any other game, besides those.

ever heard of warhammer ancient battles? its warhammer, without magic, dragons, etc. basically made to play historical armies.

also, what is deathsquads? and what about necromunda.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Thu 16 Apr 2009 - 16:53

I have not seen the 10man squad yet, but you guys are probably right, they will add a few some things to justify the price. It won't be long before they do this to all the plastic box sets. I will be buying up a box set of IG shortly (the 20 model one) shortly so I can convert and have them ready as needed.

@LordMarcus...DeathSquads is a 40K True Skirmish Game that Mordheimer and myself brainstormed that we have also been able to con...errr....um......join, yea that is it....join our development team.

Death Squads is what you would want to play if you ever wanted more from Space Hulk and Necromunda. The gaming mechanics follow Mordheim but this doesn't mean it is Mordheim in space. LOL. We have taken parts of Mordheim, Necromunda, Space Hulk, Space Crusade and Warhammer Quest to create a 40K true skirmish game. We have 4 squads created and will be working on more soon. We start a new 10 game campaign this next week before we jump on anymore. The game is sound and is very enjoyable, actually so enjoyable I have not played Mordheim in 8 months due to this. Deafnala, Eliziar, Duce and Blackjack have all been involved on this project. The playtestng group is in Florida and we have a 2nd group going in the Netherlands.

Check out some of my posts in the Sci Fi section here and you will see what we are doing as I have provided some pics and links to pics.

Mordheimer (who created Mordheimer.com) is editor and chief and has done a freakin outstanding job on creating a livine rulebook at 200 pages and has figured out how to interpret my Orkish language into fine print. LOL.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Fri 17 Apr 2009 - 18:16

Everyone: Thanks for the kuddos! You get the rules for Death Squads soon! We are working on final stuff for general rules and 4 Squads: Imperial Guard, Imperial Renegades, Orks and Craftworld Eldar. We will release v0.3.0 and play a test Campaign. After that, we will tweak whatever we have left and work on Tau and Space Marine Scouts... maybe Chaos Cultists and Genestealer Cult. After that, I think we may release it in mass... we want to release something worth while.

THAT SAID... if you have a stable group to play-test, PM DaBank or me (DaBank better!). Everyone at Tom's Forum is already a battle brother! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.mordheimer.com
lord marcus
Veteran
Veteran

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Fri 17 Apr 2009 - 20:45

sweet.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Sun 19 Apr 2009 - 13:28

I can tell you Version 3.0 is almost complete. Mordheimer and I have been emailing and phoning back and forth this whole weekend on the last few thing we see before our next playtest campaign.

Mordheimer should be able to compile all the latest logs into usable information and turn into a PDF (Not planetary defense force, LOL).
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Sun 19 Apr 2009 - 14:09

Awsome, Andy! Now stop hijacking this thread, godammit! Razz

Elder
Elder

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Sun 19 Apr 2009 - 17:46

To be honest, I think GW has some of the more reasonable prices out there. Here in the US, the most popular games seem to be GW and Privateer Press. If you check out the PP models, they cost over twice as much as their GW counterparts - I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not. The GW metal models are a bit pricey, but their newer plastics are a great deal for the level of detail you get and all the extra bits which come with the sprue.

GW is a large company with a ton of employees it has to pay. Many of the cheaper sellers are smaller setups which have hobbyist sculptors who do it for fun and for spare cash on the side. I haven't kept up to date on how GW is doing after the release of Warhammer Online, but for a while the company was skirting bankruptcy from what I understand. GW probably could lower their prices if they streamlined their company and hired management who realized the company's strengths and guided its business towards that, but I don't think the decrease would be all that substantial. Their costs still must be paid.

If you consider other leisure expendatures, the GW offerings aren't too bad. I like to ski, and my newest skis were purchased on sale for $400. That's a starting warhammer army right there, and that cost doesn't even include boots, jackets, tickets, etc. Going to the movies with friends four times runs me around $50. That's most of a Mordheim warband. When I go out with friends in LA, it usually costs me $30-$80 for the night. That much money spent towards GW products would produce far more hours of entertainment than a single night. Even compared to the most popular other gaming hobby in the states, GW's products are cheap. A single tournament level deck for Magic: the Gathering will cost you roughly $300, and that will largely become obsolete 3 months after purchase.

That being said, I'm just as reserved about dropping money for GW products as most of you seem to be. There's something about the mentality of the hobby which makes these purchases seem more expensive than they need to be. Perhaps it's a failure of the industry's marketing and how it portrays itself.

I guess Reaper is an example of another large producer which maintains cheaper models on average. However, even so, many Reaper models do lack in quality over comparable GW models. While I really enjoy roughly 75% of GW's sculpts, I'm only a fan of maybe 15% of Reaper's (fortunately they're much more prolific).

What I do despise GW for is their recent desecration of their own hobby. For some reason all their fabulous articles about terrain making, army history, painting, modeling, alternate settings, and prior campaigns have all been destroyed. Until recently, most of the material could be found on GW Australia's site, but now even that is gone, making me wish I had saved a copy of the materials I had particularly liked, instead of bookmarking them. Price hikes I can understand, but I don't see any way in which their recent behavior could benefit them financially. It seems like you would have to try quite hard to make your own fanbase detest you, but somehow the management of GW has had sufficient ignorance of their own supporters to do so. I mean, we honestly could (and would) raise enough funds for a Mordheim Rules Review ourselves, given their permission to do so. If every active member of this forum contributed $5-$10, that'd be more than enough to pay Da Bank and whoever else for their time to do the review (besides the fact that it has offered to be done for free I believe). GW seems impotent in their allocation of their own resources; they spend money only to keep shooting themselves in the foot.

Anyways, that concludes my tirade. I urge you not to hate GW because of their pricing. For what they provide, I feel that their costs are reasonable. Please hate them for what they deserve it for; actively denying their customers support for the hobby.

This back on topic enough cianty? Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Sun 19 Apr 2009 - 23:28

I think you are right on, Identity.

There's no need at all to delete all the information that could be found on the net, to change the website into a large online store and the White Dwarf into a magazine that lets the special "catalogues" that were put into the mag around Xmas seem superfluous. That's just stupid, and it's logical that people are fed up when all you get for the scrapping of the aspects of the hobby which do not bring any money directly is price increases, even though they are most probably justified and even though GWs plastics (apart from the new Empire State Troops Wink) are good value for money.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 1:38

Bravo, Identity! Bravo! cheers

Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 2:20

EXCELLENT RANT, Identity! That's a Four Grump Winner! Deaf Nala Smiley Deaf Nala Smiley Deaf Nala Smiley Deaf Nala Smiley
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 11:46

@Cianty. LOL, I can't help it someone else commented on DS and that opened Pandora's box.

@On Topic

On GW and pricing, the thing is you can "almost' afford Forgeworld models at the rate the current GW rates are going. I know it is not Apples to Apples but at this rate FW and GW will be the same price.

I will be a hater to a degree but understand I have personally worked for GW and 99% of all my miniatures are GW. It is like Whitney Houston blaming Bobbie Brown for all thier issues (Her fault as she married him). Very Happy

I do not play another other table top games that are not GW, so I have never branched out. Does not mean I never will but have never made the time as my GW/SG/DS stuff is keeping me quite busy.

All good points by Identity and is spot on with his analysis.

Maybe I need GW to make me feel special when I spend $100 or more on their stuff. It is like the quote from Full Metal Jacket. "You know, you probably one of those guys who would F>>> me in the A>> and won't give me a reach around".
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 15:45

DaBank: there were tow aleusions to what (I think were) American TV programmes. I DON'T WATCH AMERICAN-TV! I don't have a clue what you're talking about.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 16:53

Houston, we have a problem... Whitney and Bobby sure is not an American daily soap - even if you could believe it. Very Happy

And Full Metal Jacket... you have to check out that film if you haven't seen it yet (which obviously is the case).

Rules Guru
Rules Guru

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Mon 20 Apr 2009 - 17:12

@ Chad...go to the link and click on Reach Around. LOL. This is the greatest movie for quotes. God Bless the Corp.

http://www.entertonement.com/collections/5785/clips?page=2

Whitney Houston, you know the singer. She married the late 1980s wanna be rapper Bobby Brown. Do a Yahoo search on bobby Brown and you will see who I am talking about. Long story short you have two talented people but Bobby allegely would beat up Whitney Houston on of the best singers in the music industry.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 5:22

LOL. It's no suprise that I know noting about a singer who was being beaten up three or four years before I was born.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 5:47

@Chad, Did you listen to the audio yet on the link?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Tue 21 Apr 2009 - 7:17

Yeah, pretty funny.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...   Today at 12:47

Back to top Go down

THEY've done the most idiotic, sycophantic, brass balls...
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2