Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers Empty
PostSubject: Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers   Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009 - 11:35

Hey, I thought I'd just post a little introduction to the wonderful world of colour shapers!

A colour shaper, or clay shaper, as it is sometimes called, is a kind of brush with a silicone or rubber head instead of bristles. It is used for painting (and for shaping clay, I suppose), and makes for an awesome sculpting tool.

Greenstuff will not stick to it (even without loads of water which obscures the sight on the area you are sculpting), so there is absolutely no risk of ripping off the carefully crafted belt buckle after the last smoothing stroke, and the soft tip is excellent for subtle detailing (like folds, crevices, muscles), while at the same time being strong enough to heavily form the GS surface. All in all, they are the perfect tool for sculpting! At the moment, I use the metal ones only to cut off excess greenstuff.

Here is a picture of mine:

Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers Colour10

I got them at an arts supply store for about 10€. As I have never actually met any other modellers using these things, I don't even know if there tip is larger than what you'd get at a wargaming hobby supply store. But for the price, they were definitely worth it.

If other people have some more experience with them or other good things to say, feel free to do so. I thought I'd write about them anyway, as they make sculpting much easier and much more fun.
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers   Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009 - 11:37

Wow, cool! Never heard of these things before. If GS indeed does not stick to it then they are great. At least better than the toothpicks I have used so far lol.
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers   Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers Icon_minitimeSun 15 Mar 2009 - 11:39

cianty wrote:
Wow, cool! Never heard of these things before. If GS indeed does not stick to it then they are great. At least better than the toothpicks I have used so far lol.

Definitely Smile And you usually get several different shapes in a set which is very useful. I strongly recommend getting some, and for the price, you can't really go wrong.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers   Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009 - 16:34

*adds clay shapers to "buy on weekend" list*

matt
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
matt

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers   Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers Icon_minitimeTue 12 May 2009 - 16:36

hehe, I bought them in Berlin Smile (thanks for the adress, Sascha!)

Warlord
Warlord
Mr.chair

Trading Reputation : 0

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers   Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers Icon_minitimeTue 7 Jul 2009 - 22:06

Yup, I've had some myself for about 6 months and they really are a life saver. One thing to note for anyone running out to purchase some for themselves is that there are different hardnesses of rubber so be careful what you purchase. The grey ones shown above are the medium hardness, they'll give a bit but still have some firmness to them. Black tips=more firm, white tips= very soft. I would suggest going with grey. I've used the white ones a bit but they give under pressure a bit too much.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers   Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sculpting 2.0 - Colour shapers
Page 1 of 1