HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

New guy

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Rhandolph
Youngblood
Youngblood

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: New guy   Wed 4 Mar 2009 - 4:40

Hello,

I have literally just had my first knock about game here reading the rules off a PDF, a group at my local games club in Brighton (UK) plays Mordheim and I am joining there campaign next week. I usually play flames of war, urban war or occasionally 40K but have played loads of games over the years, including Warhammer fantasy but don't have many figures left.

I'll have to rummage through my miniatures to make a team but I'm thinking either Middenheimers or Skaven, I know skaven don't have a good rep but I like them and have some old figures of them. Reikslanders seem the most obvious choice of mercenaries but I wanted to be a bit different as all the human players in the group seem to have Reikslanders, orcs are also very popular.

I'm not really a 'power player' and quite laid back, but that dosn't mean I don't want a good team...

Any advice?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: New guy   Wed 4 Mar 2009 - 4:46

Hey,welcome to the forum!

I think all the official warbands are pretty balanced, so simply go for the one you like best fluff/model-wise. Mercenaries are pretty versatile and always a good start. For Skaven, I have to admit I always lost when playing them Wink
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: New guy   Wed 4 Mar 2009 - 4:52

welcome to the forums.

take the warband you want to play then build them your own way. the mercs depends on your playstyle,

ranged = reiklanders
melee = middleheim
pimp/posh = marrienbur or how its spelt (or if you like more of things at beginning due to more money)

Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 8

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: New guy   Wed 4 Mar 2009 - 4:57

Rhandolph wrote:
I'm not really a 'power player' and quite laid back, but that dosn't mean I don't want a good team...

Any advice?

WELCOME ABOARD!
cheers

You'll fit right in with the Gang here at Light of Sigmar Tom's Sleep But Laid Back & Cool Mordheim Forum. As for advice: if you seek therapy now,you can save yourself from a life of mini addiction & gaming junkydom...no, huh?! Well. in that case, have FUN! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Identity
Elder
Elder

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: New guy   Wed 4 Mar 2009 - 5:59

If fighting to the last man, I must admit it's pretty hard for my opponents to beat my skaven. Luckily for them, they just need to take out 25% (typically 4 models), cause skaven can't pass rout tests no matter how much loot is on the line.

As far as what warband to collect, try to pick one which fits your play style. It really does make the game much more enjoyable as you spend so much time growing and advancing your warband through a campaign. One of my bands I threw together mainly because I had the models, and I must admit I haven't had quite as much fun with them (however, they are slowly growing on me).

If you are wanting to start a human warband, don't feel restricted to the three in the main rulebook! There are many other official or thoroughly playtested human bands, including the kislevites, averlanders, and ostlanders, the latter of which attracted me due to the fabulous ogre and nature priest, two elements which the rulebook mercenaries lack.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rhandolph
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: New guy   Wed 4 Mar 2009 - 6:21

Thanks all.

My proposed warband looks like:

Merc Captain in light armour with sword and axe. (Rohirrim figure of Hama the door warden? with extra axe)
Swordman in lt armour with sword and dagger. (unknown GW figure in swirly cape and broadsword)
Champion in lt armour with sword and knife. (90s GW Aragorn figure)
Warrior with 2 axes, no armour (Celtos warrior)
Warrior with 2-h-sword (Female Celtos figure)
2 Crossbowmen, xbow, lt armour, sword (Irregular miniatures, look abit Reiklandish but never mind, they are still empire troops not vikings after all)

This is a compromise between what I want and what the chosen miniatures have on them.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy   Today at 2:36

Back to top Go down

New guy
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Welcome Newbies!-
Jump to: