Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!

Go down 
+13
Pathfinder Dubstyles
MagnoliaFan
Hawkeye
Admin Tom
melvino$
Asp
Eliazar
cianty
magokiron
Chad
catferret
DeafNala
Identity
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)
Achievements earned: none

ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Empty
PostSubject: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Feb 2009 - 10:07

Terrain building is my chief interest, but as good terrain doesn't look good without good models, I am slowly bringing my three warbands up to presentable quality.

Here are my first two mostly finished henchmen. Some of the details and the metal will get touched up some more later. If the bases look familiar, it's because I stole the idea from catferret's marauders. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to utilize my camera, so please bear with the picture quality.
ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! DSC01788

ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! DSC01789

Here's a group shot of the henchmen and some of the WIP heroes:
ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! DSC01803

As my painting skills leave much to be desired (I can't highlight for the life of me), I am first working through the henchmen of all my warbands in the hope that by the time I get around to the heroes, I will be able to do them justice.

Last edited by Identity on Tue 24 Feb 2009 - 12:59; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Feb 2009 - 10:43

A FINE LOOKING Band of Rats. cheers
Don't knock yourself on your painting; it's WELL ABOVE the standard most gamers will ever achieve. I LOVE the Rat Guy doing the diving charge thingy; that IS going to be SO cool once you've painted him up. AND the bases look GREAT ["borrowed ideas are WONDERFUL things Suspect ]. WELL DONE! Keep'em coming [or ELSE Suspect ]! thumbsup

I agreed with your assessment of the mini/terrain thing; i.e, that the impact of fine figures & beautiful terrain combined is lovelier than they would be taken separately. It makes for a TRULY cinematic effect that is what Mordheim is all about. Karate
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Feb 2009 - 11:18

Hahahah! The leaping ratman is awesome! Great stuff. I like the dirty looking paint jobs on them, very appropriate for Skaven.

The bases are looking good, thanks for thinking my designs were worth stealing.

Pictures look a lot better than a lot I've seen. They are very clear and not blurry. So I wouldn't worry about your photography skills too much.
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 10 Feb 2009 - 13:49

Haha, ninja-rat! Cool!
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeWed 11 Feb 2009 - 4:16

The diving rat with fighting claws is terrific!

I will shamelessly steal that idea for my warband. Cool

Thanks for sharing and we hope to see more of your work in the near future.

Oh, and I'm a scenery nut too.

Actually this last couple of months I've been making scenery a lot more time than painting minis.

So you're not alone on this bro.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 24 Feb 2009 - 14:12

So I was supposed to paint some more rats today, but the painting mood wasn't coming to me. Instead, I started on an Ostlander conversion I've been meaning to do for a while. Several campaigns ago, a promoted jaeger of mine picked up a blunderbuss. In his first battle with it, he jumped around a corner and fired on two witch hunters, misfiring a KA-BOOM! My opponent joked that the jaeger was probably as surprised as his victims and thrown off his feet by the blast. We decided that that would be an entertaining model, and tonight I finally got around to chopping up a human mercenary and beginning the conversion.

ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! DSC01837

More Pics:
Spoiler:
The pics were taken with putty holding him together, but he's actually greenstuffed together currently. I'm too lazy to take another round of pics though. I'm still considering some added effects. A cloak would probably add to his sense of movement, but I've never GSed cloth before. I guess there's a first time for everything. Perhaps some feathers on his hat could demonstrate the movement as well? I'm planning on putting some smoke coming out of the blunderbuss to represent the fact that it was just fired. His outstretched toe will also probably be pointed more.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 24 Feb 2009 - 14:51

VERY COOL! I did something similar to a 40K Ork; I added a gout of flame coming out of the barrel to explain the "rocked back on the heels" look. An EXCELLENT & IMAGINATIVE PIECE of WORK! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 24 Feb 2009 - 15:05

That's a really great pose! Like it a lot! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 24 Feb 2009 - 16:30

Awesome! I am looking forward to the finished piece.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeSat 28 Feb 2009 - 18:57

Looking really good.

Waiting for more.

Thanks for sharing.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2009 - 9:56

Haven't gotten much done lately as far as models go, but I did finish up several skaven sewer bases. The brown and green of the sewage contrast a bit too much presently, I plan to try to blend them together more in the future.
ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! DSC01912

I experimented with one by modeling stonework on top, cutting through the base completely, and finally gluing a thin piece of plastic beneath painted to represent warpstone sludge. I am particularly happy with the result and plan to experiment more with further bases (perhaps to the detriment of my painting progress).
ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! DSC01907
Back to top Go down
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeMon 23 Mar 2009 - 21:31

really good Very Happy

only, what i dont understand about bases like this is: how do you glue the models on?
Back to top Go down
http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009 - 0:15

These bases are AWESOME! cheers
Back to top Go down
melvino$
Warrior
Warrior
melvino$

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009 - 9:51

very nice bases Very Happy
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009 - 10:17

VERY NICE WORK! The bases DO set the mood, time, & place for the minis, AND, as such, add a sense of drama [or, in my case, comedy Suspect ]. Your Little Gems HAVE a definite Mordheim feel to them. WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeTue 24 Mar 2009 - 20:51

how do you glue the models on to those amazing bases?
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeWed 25 Mar 2009 - 0:16

Thanks for the comments.

Asp wrote:
how do you glue the models on to those amazing bases?
I just use superglue then touch up any excess glue that shows. Sometimes I will scratch through the paint so that there's a bit of plastic to plastic contact between the two. For metal models, I will have to have holes in the base for bits of the slottabase or pins to secure to.
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar 2009 - 12:48

A little progress on the skaven. Based and painted up some of the clothing on several of the henchmen. Oh, and I played around with some magnets. Pics turned out a bit darker than I thought they were.

ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! DSC01943

Click for more pics:
Spoiler:
The magnets are working out wonderfully. I'm finding new uses for them all the time.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar 2009 - 13:03

The Rat Lads are turning out REALLY NICELY! The bases in particular look VERY Mordheimy. VERY WELL DONE! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar 2009 - 13:53

All right, so many cool models in here. This will need to be moved to the Gallery!

I hope you don't mind, Identity Smile

BTW, I love the Teenage Mutant Nin... erm "Skaven" sewer bases and the Blunderbuss guy! Top notch.

Hawkeye
General
General
Hawkeye

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeThu 26 Mar 2009 - 21:31

Excellent bases! You really manage to pack a lot of detail onto those little 20 by 20 bases. I'm inspired! I love the sewer with the drain cover. Very nicely done.
Back to top Go down
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009 - 2:26

i just cant understand the discrepandency between the AWESOMENESS of the bases and the bread and butter paintjob on the minis

i'm not trying to diss you or anything - its just that as far as the bases go, they are worthy of a golden daemon or something
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009 - 2:43

Tom - Thanks for the praise! The type of sewer I was envisioning was very much influenced by the teenage mutant ninja turtles Wink. The models aren't completed quite yet though. Instead of painting a model to completion, I tend to paint several models in stages.

Asp - I totally agree. The models are certainly not completed yet, which is why I had this over in the Modeling section. I guess I should have a thread here as well as over there. The other problem is that my chief interest is terrain and conversions, so my model painting skills fall behind. I do intend for a lot more work to go into painting these models, but I don't believe the minis will quite reach the level of the bases.

Edit: Can I actually get this moved back to the Painting & Modeling section? I will start a new thread here with my more completed works. I realize with the nature of my system, there's a fine line between the two.

Sure. No Problem.
- cianty
Back to top Go down
MagnoliaFan
Warlord
Warlord
MagnoliaFan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009 - 10:51

Cool stuff you got here mate. Maby you already told us (but I couldnt find it), did you build those bases your self or can buy them somewere?
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitimeFri 27 Mar 2009 - 12:04

Heh, I thought I had included a WIP shot of the bases, but I guess I forgot. Here are a couple for you:

ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! DSC01862

For this one you can see a still-fresh trail of Elmer's (PVA) glue used for the sewer gunk:
ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! DSC01840

These were actually inspired by the "gutter" bases employed by catferret for his marauders.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!   ostlanders - Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Identity's Skaven & Lizards & Ostlanders, Oh My!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next