Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Warmachine

Go down 
+3
Josef Bugman
Admin Tom
Snyder_7
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeMon 9 Feb 2009 - 15:40

So, I'm giving some very serious thought as to whether or not I want to start playing Warmachine. I went out and bought the revised core rulebook (only $24!) last week (I'm a sucker for rulebooks..) and I've been reading over it for the past couple of days. The rules seem solid to me, and I like the fact that Warmachine can be played small scale as a battle primarily between two warcasters with a few supporting units.

Does anyone else around these parts play Warmachine? I know in my area there are at least 10 people that play it frequently, and more people might be starting. I've been thinking a lot about which army to [possibly] start, and I'm just looking for input from people who play.

Right now it's looking like Khador is my top pick, as their style of play is primarily getting up in your face and then hammering it to bloody ruin. Very Happy

Also, I couldn't figure out whether this is more fitting in the Sci-Fi or Fantasy forum...it's steampunk, so it's kind of a mix of both.
Back to top Go down
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin Tom

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeMon 9 Feb 2009 - 15:53

Hey Sny!

Dont worry the section is fine.

I personally would tend more towards Hordes, because I think the Warjacks still look a little clumsy to me. But the reason I never started Warmachine/Hordes is 1) the complete and devastating lack of players in my surroundings
2) the insane price of the models. Over here you pay around €40 for 5 infantry models.

Other than that, model-wise, I like Trollboods and Legion of Everblight. I do also like the Circle of Orboros for the cool shapeshifter models (and because I usually tend to prefer factions that are related to nature)

Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeMon 9 Feb 2009 - 16:31

Admin Tom wrote:

2) the insane price of the models. Over here you pay around €40 for 5 infantry models.

Holy crap! Shocked

That's pretty much insane. Around here a lot of people prefer small scale games, so I'd be able to field a respectable Khador force for around $100. I know what you mean about the Warjacks looking somewhat clumsy, I agree...I just happen to like that look of clumsiness!

If I do ever get in to Hordes I have no idea who I'd play...but I love the fact that Privateer Press made the two so easy to switch around.
Back to top Go down
Josef Bugman
Hero
Hero
Josef Bugman

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeMon 9 Feb 2009 - 22:30

I have read that Privateer Press changed to plastic for their figures in the near future.
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned:

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeMon 9 Feb 2009 - 22:43

Snyder_7 wrote:
(I'm a sucker for rulebooks..)

Me too! I've got stacks of rule books on my night table that I'll never have time to play!

As for Warmachine - yeah, the price of the models is probably the biggest factor keeping me from playing the game itself.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeTue 10 Feb 2009 - 4:44

Never played WM as the prices seems to be so high.

As an alternative rulesystem, I just bought SONG OF BLADES AND HEROES by Ganesha Games.

I haven't played it yet, (Probably will have my firt game this week) and the rules seem pretty easy and solid.

The good news? The PDF download only costs USD$5.00

Yuo hardly can go far wrong with that price!

Hopefully I'll give a good review (obviously in other thread) asap, once I played it.

Best wishes.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeTue 10 Feb 2009 - 11:29

If you're a gamer in the USA, WarMachine/Hordes is probably your best choice. There are a LOT of folks playing the game. AND while there are a fair number of rule books & suppliments to buy along with fairly pricey minis, the suppliments are add ons that don't alter the game, unlike GW's periodic "new" collection screwing army books, & the small number of minis needed make it affordable [except to us impoverished Old Guys Suspect ].
With GW's diminishing support of EVEN their "Core" games & their current emphasis on large scale gaming, they are becoming less attractive to the gaming community over here. At least, that's been my observation of the thingy.

For War Machine I think I'd go for the Privateers or the Mercenaries [I'm a mercenary guy myself Suspect ] or Cryx [too many B Horror movies when I was young & impressionable Suspect ]. For Hordes, Skarre & Ever Blight are my preferences. Now, if I pulled off a successful bank job.... Karate

The ONLY things I don't like about the Game is the emphasis on highly competitive, bad attitude games & the variable quality of the minis Suspect
Back to top Go down
Snyder_7
Captain
Captain
Snyder_7

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeTue 10 Feb 2009 - 16:09

@DeafNala: You raise a couple of good points, most especially the variable quality of the miniatures offered by Privateer Press. I've seen some of the figures that look simply amazing, and others that look decidedly dead and boring. Thankfully the army I'm interested in playing (Khador) has awesome sculpts for 95% of their stuff. I'm also really surprised the price is so extreme around you guys, maybe I just got lucky with the hobby shop here selling them at "reasonable" (for tabletop gaming) prices. Another thing I'm lucky enough to have access to is an extremely friendly group of people that play Warmachine. The local hobby store here has a game night every week, and a good portion of what they play is Warmachine. Thankfully the attitude they cultivate is one of pursing the game in the name of mutual fun. Apparently there used to be one guy who was a bit of an ass (extremely competitive gamer) but people simply stopped agreeing to play with him so he left. Goes to show you how important having a friendly game is. Smile

@Josef Bugman: Where did you hear that Privateer Press was going plastic? I'd be really interested to see the link if it was an article or announcement of some sort.

@Magokiron: I'm interested to hear how Song of Blades and Heroes turns out, you should throw up a post with a review on it after you play! I'm sure it would be appreciated by others aside from myself. I know that personally I'm always on the hunt for new games.

@Ethlorien: Good to meet another person who doesn't think reading rulebooks for enjoyment is weird! Razz

I've decided officially that next paycheck I'm going to buy a Khador battlegroup and start building my army from there. The owner of the hobby store near me says I can supplement my force with some of his units when we play until I have my force built up. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Josef Bugman
Hero
Hero
Josef Bugman

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeWed 11 Feb 2009 - 19:16

Snyder i have read it in a german tabletop magazine. The Habitats (from Menoth i think) comes in plastic.

In the forum from brushthralls.com i find this:
http://forums.brushthralls.com/index.php?showtopic=4740

I haven´t more infos.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeMon 16 Feb 2009 - 21:04

I was just over on the Wyrd Forum & the NEWS from PP is they are releasing new revised rule books for War Machine & Horde. That's right up there with Oral Surgery on my must do/have list. Suspect
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009 - 8:32

NEWS FLASH! I was over at the Wyrd Forum, AND it seems rumors of PP coming out with plastic minis is true. Come this June the first plastics, Megalith & Bastions, are to be released. COOL huh?! thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeTue 10 Mar 2009 - 10:55

god bless plastic minis, i so prefer working with them to metal, both for painting and gluing... oh and converting!

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Personal Info

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitimeThu 4 Jun 2009 - 11:10

NEWS FLASH: THE PLASTICS ARE HERE...sort of. I spotted the release notice for the new plastic Ios Myrmidon on the Wyrd Forum http://wyrd-games.net/showthread.php?t=6471 . The sucker has three variants in the kit. AND the Ios stuff should be a plus for all the Elf Lovers...Tom. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Warmachine Empty
PostSubject: Re: Warmachine   Warmachine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Warmachine
Page 1 of 1