Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0

Go down 
+32
Grimscull
Goglutin
superscenic
Ezekiel
werekin
bondoid
feelingfine69
RationalLemming
alveiz
Dazza
postcthul
Dmig
wyldhunt
Myntokk
thornz
Fungomungus
Ram Rock Ed First
Earthcrosser599
DeafNala
Figgy
hero
Da Bank
Identity
cianty
Pyyr
Asp
Eliazar
StyrofoamKing
Von Kurst
MyLittlePwny
Chad
Pathfinder Dubstyles
36 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Asp
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Asp

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: none

Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 12 Dec 2009 - 22:02

ill host it if you mail it to coreheim |a| gmail . com
Back to top Go down
http://www.indadvendt.dk/mordheim/
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Possessed Possessed
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 1:20

No need to host Asp, i'm using Google docs since rapidshare is so unreliable.

Thanks for the interest everyone, i now present version 0.6 of my Night Goblin Warband.

Night Goblins ver. 0.6

The Great Squig is untested at this point, but i think it fits Night Goblins better than a Troll. I allowed plyers to instead take the classic troll if they prefer not to use something crazy i made up! Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_razz The cost of 150 makes it the cheapest "big guy" but the random movement and inevitable running wild i think makes up for this. Although that is just a gut feeling cost, I need to play test it still.

My main concern is having 9 types of warriors, 10 if you include the troll. Most warbands have around 6. Also there are many special rules so i don't recommend this to new players. Consequently the page count is 2-3 more than the average warband. Eventually i know i will have to cut a few warriors for the final version, but it's hard to thin it down at this point!

Madcap Masters is a rule which encourages the player to not worry so much about feeding all his heroes madcaps and making them stupid. Combined with a few fungus farmers and the low cost of buying madcaps, it should be pretty fun to have a hard hitting frenzied warband, which almost instantly becomes crippled after a bad turn of combats. Unpredictability is the main strongpoint of Goblins, and above all else, even perfect balance and fairness, i hope to capture that in this warband, which has become my labor of love for Mordheim.

Enjoy!

Change Log:

• -1 ld to warriors (like they should have been originally, oversight)
  • +1 init to herder
  • +1ws goonz, made them 0-2, now you can only have 5 heroes.
  • Changed starting exp: squig herder 6 to 8, Goonz 8 to 6
  • Light armor available for henchmen
  • Removed giant riding squig
  • Removed troll
  • Added great squig, with option to take troll instead
  • Return of snotling 'elper, with different rules
  • Added ride cave squig skill
  • Various editing stuff, rewording, clarifications and formatting
  • Changed some descriptions to fit night goblins better
  • Reworked netter to be like the original (Maltmans)
  • Disallowed academic to promoted henchmen
  • Big bouncin' changed
  • Returned halberd to hero list

Last edited by Pathfinder Dubstyles on Tue 12 Jan 2010 - 5:07; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
wyldhunt
Elder
Elder
wyldhunt

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 3:13

This one's on my "watch" list - haven't gotten to looking it over and trying it out yet, but I will...
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/view/wyldhauntsmordheim
Fungomungus
General
General

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 5:07

Path u r the man! TY for the updated list.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 12 Jan 2010 - 20:27

Wyldhunt: You have become master rules experimenter in my mind. I eagerly awiat your feedback.

Fungo: I hope you have as much fun with it as i do! Be sure to share your thoughts and battle reports!

Annoying thing i have found: Whenever i turn the doc into a pdf the squig picture moves above the "wurz da troll?" rule, when i should be below it!

I think this version is pretty solid at the moment, If i do change anything it will be the price and/or stats of the Great Squig.

Backstabber has always seemed like a very powerful skill to be. For those using the list, errata netter to not allow back stabber to be used at the same time by the same model. The justification being that throwing the net will reveal the goblin's presence.
Back to top Go down
Fungomungus
General
General

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeFri 15 Jan 2010 - 2:10

So what model would you use for the great Squig? Has anyone made their own? Ive tried making 2 so far, the first was mini squig the second became a lil better, Im not done with it yet.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 17 Jan 2010 - 17:10

I was going to try sculpting mine, but for now i'm just using a chaos spawn.

There is a goblin boss on a giant squig in the warhammer range that can be used, but it's not quite as big as i envisioned. Although it is a superb model if you give a goblin the "ride squig" skill and mount him on the Great Squig.

One of the reasons i included the "wurz da troll?" rule was for people who play strict WYSIWYG and don't have the skill or desire to sculpt a Great Squig. I myself have held off on sculpting until in certain it will be in the final warband list. You might want to proxy any model on a monster base as well for now.

Play testing has left me thinking the Great Squig is under priced at 150, expect an increase in the next version. For now you can try it as is, or up the price to 175. I still don't think it's worth 200. (see my next post)

Last edited by Pathfinder Dubstyles on Thu 21 Jan 2010 - 5:44; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Figgy
Elder
Elder
Figgy

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jan 2010 - 23:16

Great squig was very very scary in his first game against me with his first warband...

*Shakes violently* S-so....s-scary....
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 21 Jan 2010 - 5:41

Yeah, with that WS and Initiative it should be 200 now that i think about it, i forgot that whole discussion we had. It would be better to stick with the excepted "big guy" cost i believe.

Some strategies for dealing with it? Take out the model with the prodder, and throw expendable troops at it. If a hero gets charged, use their superior leadership to break from combat next turn and since it moves 3d6 inches a turn, chances are it is out of control range.

I can't wait to see that thing go wild!

I need to do more play testing with the warband as a whole, but since there are so many direction it could go its hard to play test them all at once.

Possible warband styles:

• massed short bow volley
  • herd-o-squigs/snots protecting over-kitted heroes
  • lots of fanatics and madcapped frenzied heroes heroes. fungus farmers a must!
  • goblin spear phalanx
  • all sneaky type skills and grabbing objectives
  • troll...or not!
The warband as a whole needs more focus. With all these troop types i can see this eventually becoming two warbands: Night Goblin Fungus Brewers, and Night Goblin Squig Ranchers.
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jan 2010 - 2:51

After some more play testing i have found that the boss might need to be lowered in cost and the herder may need to be raised. 45 boss, 40 herder maybe. Also the great squig is most definitely worth 200 gc.

In one game my herder was taken out and the great squig ran off towards the table edge and did nothing. I figure this control issue is just about equivalent to a troll's stupidity, while the superior WS and I make up for the lake of regeneration.

I have often considered giving the Herder the starting skill, Handle Animal: Squig (cave and great), but his rules are already so cumbersome as they are... I need to type the herder more eloquently and concisely, something i hope to accomplish with the next version.
Back to top Go down
Dmig
Knight
Knight
Dmig

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jan 2010 - 3:13

I realize a lot of the fun with orcs and goblins is the crazy stuff but what if the squig herder was more like a guy who could control squigs from 12" away instead of 6"? and maybe witha prodder its up to 18" Or just have him give a smaller bonus to all squigs? Maybe he could have the ability to reign in out of control squigs? just food for thought as his rules are cumbersome
Back to top Go down
postcthul

postcthul

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 28 Jan 2010 - 22:38

Yea I agree Figgy, the giant squigg would have pulverized my Brute if the scatter dice had been a few degrees clockwise from where it fell!!!
Back to top Go down
Dazza
Hero
Hero
Dazza

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeWed 31 Mar 2010 - 11:26

Well I've been watching this thread with great anticipation as I've been building a night goblin warband complete with batman inspired doomdiver, this has all been one great happy coincidence that's left me with an almighty grin on my face as you guys have one all teh hard work figuring out appropriate rules for me. Very Happy

The Eastland Bluemoon Tribe have been documented here:
https://boringmordheimforum.forumieren.com/miniatures-f2/the-eastland-blue-moon-tribe-t3383.htm

Now that the Flame on Bell Book & Candle Campaign has finished the time has come to prepare for the next Vercuso Campaign and this Nightgoblin list will get a serious ammount of playtesting (I think Papa Jingles Circus Warband totalled 18 games), but if there's been any updates since V0.6 of the Night Goblin List or changes to the Doomdiver & Squig Hopper Hired swords let me know.

The link to the flameon discussion is here:
http://www.flameon.co.uk/index.php?option=com_agora&task=viewtopic&id=1884&Itemid=53
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 8 May 2010 - 1:47

What about letting fanatics use flails?

Also I remember there being rules for a chained up attack squig item or weapon that granted an additional attack or something, anyone know where that is?
Back to top Go down
alveiz
Champion
Champion
alveiz

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 8 May 2010 - 2:53

Dazza, your minis are nice. What ranges are them from?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
RationalLemming
Etheral
Etheral
RationalLemming

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Ostlanders Ostlanders

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 8 May 2010 - 12:39

hero wrote:
Also I remember there being rules for a chained up attack squig item or weapon that granted an additional attack or something, anyone know where that is?

The Chained Attack Squig was from Devil's Den Challenge #2 (Exotic Weaponry).
Back to top Go down
http://sites.google.com/site/ourhouserules/mordheim
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSat 8 May 2010 - 20:02

Awesome, thanks!
Back to top Go down
Dazza
Hero
Hero
Dazza

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeSun 9 May 2010 - 16:47

alveiz wrote:
Dazza, your minis are nice. What ranges are them from?
Thanks

Thanks for the praise, they're all GW mini's just standard fantasy gobbos with some minor conversions here and there. The human warbands are just kit-bashed and converted GW empire plastics. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
feelingfine69
Hero
Hero
feelingfine69

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010 - 4:14

Hope this thread hasn't been forgotten!

Did wyldhunt or dazza eventually playtest this list then?
Back to top Go down
Dazza
Hero
Hero
Dazza

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010 - 9:19

feelingfine69 wrote:
Hope this thread hasn't been forgotten!

Did wyldhunt or dazza eventually playtest this list then?

Not as yet but our new campaign is supposed to be starting very soon.

Also as I've not concocted a giant squig yet, I've decided to use a snotling pump wagon! The fluff and rules seem to fit quite nicely Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Pathfinder Dubstyles
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Pathfinder Dubstyles

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeTue 13 Jul 2010 - 14:49

Argh sorry! Dazza I am thrilled about you using this warband, I have one update to make before i am satisfied with the warband. I will PM you later this week.
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010 - 2:49

I've tried the night goblins several times now, and what I usually have happen see is

1. They're very strong at the start with lots of goblins with shortbows
2. They quickly lose steam as other bands fill out and get longer ranged shooting weapons.
Back to top Go down
bondoid
Warrior
Warrior
bondoid

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010 - 4:58

I could definitely see that happening.

Im going to start playing night goblins for our next campaign. My starting warband has 16 models.

Much higher than most other warbands, which makes sense as goblins come in vast quantities.

However with the penalty to income due to large warband size, the mushroom upkeep cost, and the fact that 20 isnt much higher than 16, I dont see this warband growing much.

While other bands will be adding a good number of additional henchman and equipment.

What about a special rule such as this.

Quantity Over Quality: Night Goblin Henchman count as 1/2 model (rouding up) for determining Warband Size and Warband Income. (Exception, due to the large nature of the Giant Squig, it still counts as a full model!)
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010 - 11:19

That would allow a forty goblin warband! Might be a bit much.
Back to top Go down
StyrofoamKing
Etheral
Etheral
StyrofoamKing

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jul 2010 - 13:03

Very nice. I would actually recommend something like the Norland Net I used in Sartosa: Double cost, but can be used once per GAME, rather than once only. Easy way to make some "netters".

Also, I think the Halfling warband I saw on Brahm's old site had the "tiny hand's" restriction, which prevented them from using longbows, crossbows, handguns, long rifles, etc. Might be smart to put a similar rule in with the gobbos.
Back to top Go down
https://sites.google.com/site/styroheim/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0   Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0 - Page 4 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Night Goblins - New Warband, v1.0
Page 4 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next