Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

A few questions about age...

Go down 
+10
Skavenblight
Drugart
Chad
DeafNala
MagnoliaFan
KRUG_666
PitFighterTrainer
Fallen
catferret
Ethlorien
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned:

A few questions about age... Empty
PostSubject: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 2:16

So, the other day I found my son flipping through the pages of my DnD books. He told me he was 'choosing his character', which I thought was quite cute. He decided on an Orc-Eladrin with a pair of big, magic boots. He's not yet 4.

My daughter, on the other hand, has asked a number of times now that she would like to play Mordheim / Warhammer with me, as well as paint the miniatures. She's 8.

While they're both too young, of course, it did get me thinking: when's a good age to introduce them into the world of gaming? As far as painting goes, my daughter has already painted a few Hero Quest minis thus far - though I'm holding off a bit before handing over my GW minis (but not too long, now, as a second person might actually help me one day finish painting all my stuff).

So, two questions: how old were you when you got into the hobby, and what age do you think is a good age to start playing Mordheim with your children? I got into at 20, but had been playing all manner of games for years before that anyway. I was 9 or 10 when I started Hero Quest I guess, yet my daughter has been playing that one with me for a few years already!

Thoughts?
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 4:46

I started at 9 waaay back in 1989. I got into it through a mate's brother and his friends playing various games. I enjoyed building and painting model tanks anyway so I guess wargaming was the next logical step. My parents encouraged it because it was constructive and sort of educational once I started researching teh historical stuff.

I think if they are mature enough, creative and enjoy challenges then the age isn't so much of a problem. I suppose it also depends on what else is available for entertainment. When I was a kid, the joys of more than 4 TV channels and computer games weren't accessible where I'm from so I had no distractions.
Back to top Go down
Fallen
Captain
Captain
Fallen

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 6:15

I was like... eleven... But I didn't grasp the concept very well, only how to cut-and-paste convert and glue things together.

Never painted, only understood the game(s) at 15... heh... I can be slow with alot of things...
Back to top Go down
PitFighterTrainer
Ancient
Ancient
PitFighterTrainer

Trading Reputation : 4

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pit Fighters (Unofficial) Pit Fighters (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 6:32

My son is 12, and he started learning a year ago. I think he's caught on very well, yet he is a 'GT' student. His friends came over, were interested, and I taught them as well. Unfortunately, they are brothers that have their tendency to argue a lot.

They play well, once you walk them through a few scenarios, and they ask questions, which is a big help. Yet, I think it all depends on their mannerisms. If they like to learn and have a good attention span, I think 11 is a good age. If they aren't able to hold their attention and interest longer than a single scenario, then perhaps it's best to wait until they are 'ready'.
Back to top Go down
KRUG_666
Veteran
Veteran
KRUG_666

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 10:18

my dad had us playing games with minis by the time we were 5....
I guess cuz we had no Mom and he did what he thought what keep us entertained and interested...
Mordheim can be simplified for a young'un if you you thin about it...
Back to top Go down
http://www.woebringer.blogspot.com
MagnoliaFan
Warlord
Warlord
MagnoliaFan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 10:51

I started painting when I was ten. And I think I was about eleven when I tried to play warhammer (that didnt work out) so then Mordheim came out and I started playing that (I was about 11 maby just 12), I think that went better because the rules are simpler and you need less mini's.
But I think its different for every kid.
Back to top Go down
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 11:10

With the Role Playing, if they enjoy stories, then they are old enough. When I had my two youngest sons for the weekends [they were 6 & 10 at the time], I'd take them through some AD&D Adventures. They ABSOLUTELY LOVED being part of the story; and they still do [now 26 & 29...where did my babies go? Sad ].

With the painting, it's a matter of enthusiasm & eye/hand coordination; i.e., if they're really excited about painting, you don't want to put their entusiasm on hold TOO long, but if they can't control the brush well enough the results will tend to turn them off quickly. Your daughter is probably old enough, & while your son might not be, the competition with his sister might keep up his interest. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 11:49

I was nine, maybe ten. Basically, as soon as I was old enough to read the rulebook, I taught all my gaming buddies how to play Mordheim.
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009 - 13:49

My son is 4 about to turn 5 in a couple of months. He has his own collection of Space Marines and paints them. Hes a quick learner and does not cake the paint on anymore, though they are still a multitude of colors lol!
As for playing, he has not grasped it all, He has one HUGE d6 that he rolls on the table and moves his SMs around and with a few extra gobblins I gave him, he plays war. So hes learning and starting down a path of great 'GEEKINESS' cheers
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009 - 16:05

I think that learning chess at a very early age would help to develop a grasp of the rules, when older. (Chess is a medieval wargame!)
Back to top Go down
Skavenblight
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Skavenblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2009 - 0:43

I was 16 as I started playing Mordheim and 19 as I started painting my minis Smile
If you want to start playing with your children, you should ask them if they want. Your children want, so maybe it is time? Of course, you should maybe not tell them about "taken OoA warrior which lies half-sliced in the huge stain of blood" but if you make the game more "children-friendly", they will be interested.

But remember that all kids change their hobbies really fast Smile

I think I and Hak will start playing with our children (well, we don't have any children yet Smile ) when they will be 9 or 10... but hopefully it will be sooner, cause I don't think that children of 2 fanatic Mordheim players will be not interested in the game before Wink
Back to top Go down
http://hakostwo.blogspot.com
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2009 - 6:00

Do you have HEROQUEST?

Imo, that is the most wonderful, priceless, marvelous way to introduce your little children to fantasy wargaming.

If you don't own one, You can still grab one copy from ebay, and sometimes at a very good price.

I'll recommend the USA version, but anyhow this is a great game of dungeon crawling where the "good guys" (heroes) kill a lot of "bad guys" (monsters) and you can play Morcar (or Zargon in the USA version) and adjust each adventure for them.

The rules are very simple but not simplistic, They'll learn about "attack roll", "defense roll", "wounds", etc. AND EVEN THE HEROS CAN GROW (experience and gold coins let them buy better equipment).

I higly reccomend this, and I think even your 5 year old kid will like the game.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2009 - 15:01

Yeah - the kids love HeroQuest. To be honest, I actually have two copies of the game! My sister gave me hers when she tired of it. Got most of the expansions too. No, the kids have a blast with that.

Thanks folks for all the advice!
Back to top Go down
mrtn
General
General
mrtn

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2009 - 15:03

Ethlorien wrote:
While they're both too young, of course
Don't bet on it. My friend has a son who's 8, and he's been playing Mordheim and WFB with us for the past year. A week ago we played a three way 1500 point scenario of Warhammer without problems. Your daughter is old enough to try a game, just treat her as the newbie she is. Wink
My friend bought a Battle for Skull Pass and split with his son, now there's even a bunch of painted goblins (well, enough for a Mordheim warband at least).
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2009 - 15:53

Concernig HeroQuest: I just ound the game online, however, it was without a picture of the special dice. So, coul anyone describe them to me or take a picture?
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2009 - 16:01

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/699

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HeroQuest

It's an awesome game. Never gets old. Simple rules with tons of fun.
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2009 - 17:14

Im going to have to search online for that game, looks like a blast. Especially since my son is still to young to play Axis & Allies Suspect
Back to top Go down
Ezekiel
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Ezekiel

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Merchants (BTB) Merchants (BTB)
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitimeFri 23 Jan 2009 - 19:08

I got my ass kicked by an 11 year old in both mordheim and fantasy... where I can still take on the father... Sad sigh... but he's been getting into the game for the past two years now, greatly encouraged by his father who is an avid gamer and builder... I guess it depends on whether you grow up with it or not... I could paint and build scenery when I was about 11, but didn't grasp the game until I was about 19... then again, I was only painting at first, as I got into it through model railroads - which came from my dad and he hates games... haha
Back to top Go down
http://www.mysthconcepts.nl
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few questions about age...   A few questions about age... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few questions about age...
Page 1 of 1