Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Men-at-Arms...

Go down 
+6
Chad
Lord Xi
MagnoliaFan
Eliazar
catferret
zettel
10 posters
AuthorMessage
zettel
Warrior
Warrior
zettel

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters
Achievements earned: none

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 21:31

Hi,

can anyone tell me if the bretonian Men-at-Arms box provides good conversion possibilities for Mordheim. I have seen the models on the net, but our shop doesn't have them in store right now and I don't want t order them if I cant use them... I have heard they were pretty small, but what about poses and additional stuff provided on the spures... they actually seemed like nice Ostlanders to me...
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins
Achievements earned:

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 22:26

Poses are all very limited. Scale wise, they are closer to Lord of the Rings models. They will look fine if you only use those models in the band, but could look a little odd if you use others.

The sprues do have a lot of cool random bits though, pouches, small weapons that are good as backups, all sorts really.

I'll try and take a picture of a man at arms beside a regular model for your reference.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 22:42

Well, I am using the Bretonnians for a warband as well. However, I single ordered a lot of command sprues (when this was still possible) and some bowmen only, as the men-at-arms are just horrible! They all come in the standard halberd-and-shield-pose and I think it will require quite a lot of modeling effort to convert them to different poses.

The command models and the bowmen, however, are my favourite Warhammer minis of all time Smile

Plus, all sprues are packed with accessories, like weapons, pouches, arrows, game, etc.
Back to top Go down
zettel
Warrior
Warrior
zettel

Personal Info

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 22:47

hmm... a mixed blessing, so it seems. But that means for a warband of 12 I would need 4(!) boxes of figures..... not good...
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 23:12

There's a quick comparison shot beside a Marauder, Space Marine and Terminator.

Men-at-Arms... MaAsizecomparison

Poses are quite limited unless you don't mind cutting, filing and resculpting.
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 23:40

Well, you could get a box of bowmen and a box of men-at-arms, which would leave you with about 2 spare sprues of men-at-arms and 2 spare sprues of bowmen. (the men-at-arms have some cool accessories, too)

Or you find a Bretonnian player who needs some models to fill up the ranks and you take the command Very Happy
Back to top Go down
MagnoliaFan
Warlord
Warlord
MagnoliaFan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jan 2009 - 9:11

I love the men at arm sprue's, the bits in that box are ideal for mordheim (how cool is a crow wrappad in poutch on the side of your model?)
Maby you can cut of some of the arms from the body's and use empire melita arms, this way you can easly pose your models more too your liking!
Back to top Go down
Lord Xi
General
General
Lord Xi

Personal Info

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jan 2009 - 9:46

I modelled my men-at-arms with some Cadian arms and lasguns to make one of my units of conscripts. They are awesome models.
Back to top Go down
http://grimdarkvoid.blogspot.com/
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jan 2009 - 12:01

The bowmen set makes great outlaws! The big pose-problem is that the arms attach at the elbows and the legs are already attached. Here's some stuff I did with the bowmen:

Brettonian Pirate:
Men-at-Arms... P1030136

Outlaw captain/Imperial Hunters Sereant:
Men-at-Arms... P1020899
Back to top Go down
hero
Elder
Elder

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jan 2009 - 12:33

There's a seller on ebay called hoard_*_bits who sells warhammer parts by type. So you can look up "Bretonnian Bowmen" once you find his page on ebay and you'll find auctions for, say, all the heads off a Bretonnian Bowmen sprue or an auction for all the bows, or the weapon arms. You could actually find him by searching for "Men at Arms bits".

This is great for finding peices for conversions and such without having to buy whole regiment kits. Especially useful for getting nonstandard equipment for models, like bows for... whatever guys that don't usually get bows.

For me it's been essential to making my warbands the way I want at a reasonable price.

(no I'm not that guy just trying to advertise, but he should probably pay me)
Back to top Go down
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jan 2009 - 12:40

Funny you mention hoard_*_bits because I bought a couple of things from them before christmas and they never arrived here. And now they don't response to emails... not even to PayPal warnings... oO
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jan 2009 - 17:57

For individual parts, I use Bits and Kits or Bitz Box. The prices are reasonable, they restock regularly and I have never had a problem with them delivering on time. In fact, on one occasion I received the parts next day. Although I imagine it would take longer if being sent outside the UK.
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned:

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 17:30

Rumour has it that with the third Empire release coming, the Empire army will be made 100% plastic. That will include new Greatswords, Militia (specifically archers and huntsmen), and a Steam Tank.

Haven't seen any pics yet, but the Greatswords may be a good plastic kit to grab up for bits and such, for use with any number of human warbands (the militia too, I guess - for ranged warriors).
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 19:30

Plastic steam tank... Drooooooooooooooool...
Back to top Go down
Exarch Thomo
Knight
Knight
Exarch Thomo

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers
Achievements earned: None

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009 - 2:01

As others have said the majority of stances with the Brettonian models are static, meaning not much variation. However, the do have possibly the best range of accessories on the sprue - well worth it if just for that!
And with the size issue, don't forget that marauders are larger than the majority of 'human' warriors, as are space marines and terminators. The brett men at arms are the same size as the empire models etc, and still noticibly larger than the Lord of the Rings range.
Back to top Go down
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned:

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009 - 2:40

Here's some Bretonnian characters I came across a while ago... I believe they're part of GW's collector range (or will be). Nice poses on these fellows.

http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45699&d=1221561172

http://warseer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=45698&d=1221561172
Back to top Go down
catferret
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
catferret

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009 - 2:54

The second one is actually an Empire captain. Wink He's got the comet of Sigmar and his armour is in the style of Empire stuff.

Neither have been released yet sadly. Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Men-at-Arms... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Men-at-Arms...   Men-at-Arms... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Men-at-Arms...
Page 1 of 1