HomeFAQSearchRegisterUsergroupsBlogLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

Share | 

What Warband do you use and why?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Hellfoot
Warlord
Warlord

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

PostSubject: What Warband do you use and why?   Tue 28 Aug 2007 - 5:40

Heya my personal favourite has to be anything including a Dwarf. Thy're strong, love ale, short, and preety funny although sometimes they tend to be pretty serious.

Cheers
Hellfoot Shocked
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin

Trading Reputation : 12

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Tue 28 Aug 2007 - 7:50

I own Reiklanders, Skaven, Possessed, Witch-Hunters, Undead and Orcs. Although I only play Orcs, Witch-Hunters and Possessed regularily with emphasis on Possessed.

In terms of it's mood, I think the Skaven warband would be my favourite. I juste love the Idea of those ugly, wall-climbing, backstabbing rat-men crawling out of severs, cracks and dark corners. They are just fantastic! I am however an anti-talent when it comes to playing them. I don't know why, I have NEVER won a game with Skaven! silent

On the other hand I seem to do very well with my Witch-Hunters. Crossbows and pistols like me apparently. The Witch-Hunters I love for their excellent models: Beautiful, simple, detailed, expressive. Great.

Which brings me to the Possessed. The Possessed are priceless in my opinion, because of the endless modelling possibilities they offer. And let's not forget the beastmen: the coolest henchmen out there! Smile

And last but not least: the orcs. What can I say about orcs and gobbos? Love 'em or leave 'em. The inpredictable, barbaric, stupid greenskins. Say what you want about what GW did to poor Tolkien's idea (yes, I agree, calling THAT an "orc" is really pushing it) but I still love the result. Comic relief? Hell yes! Of course they are a comic relief and that's precisely what makes them so kewl Very Happy
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://boringmordheimblog.blogspot.com
JohnYoung
General
General

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Tue 28 Aug 2007 - 19:10

We have almost the same preference Tom ^^. I play skaven because I bought the box with a friend and he choosed humans so i was left with skaven parts ^^ They are pretty good even if Ii dont win much, but that's because I suc. I always get shooted by his Marienburg before I can take more than 3 down; the bastard spent all his extra 100G (and more) on bow and crossbow Sad Still, I like my skaven and when I bought the rat-ogre, it solved my problems, it's such a good shoot magnet Very Happy.

One day i'd like to start witch hunter too, the figs are just awesome and the gameplay is appeling.

I have some Orcs and gobs from warhammer's starting box, I could make a warband easily.. I've made a couple of list on Army Builder and it could be easily done, i'd only need to buy some base, a couple of squig and a orc warrior sprue.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.myspace.com/skankinriot
Tortiou
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Wed 29 Aug 2007 - 8:58

Well I'm playing Reiklanders. I LOVE them.
Ok, ok, I only own that warband so I can't really compare with other warriors, although I already played one or two Mordheim games with Skaven and Possessed (thanks again, Tom, for letting me play with these warbands of yours!) (and again sorry for getting your Magister killed... oups)
Surprised

Anyway, I play a Mercenary Reiklander warband with LOTS of archers (because of the BS+1 bonus) and a few warriors who don't get to see the combat very often...
IMO, a Reiklander warband is REALLY disadvantaged on a "dense" city map, that is to say a map with lots of buildings, because the firing range of the archers is limited and if you don't position them well, they SUCK.
Furthermore, by playing a Reiklander warband, I tend to adopt a "defensive" strategy rather than an agressive one: my archers just hold their position and wait for the ennemy to come, while my warriors protect them as bodyguards. This strategy pisses off my fellow playmates (n'est-ce pas Tom??) and, to be honest, pisses me off as well, because I don't have the balls to rush and I don't like my warband to be too static.
Besides, a BS+1 bonus is good for archers, it helps them to HIT; but the strength of bows stays at 3 (or 4 for crossbows) and it becomes really difficult to WOUND !! especially when my enemies now have a Toughness of 5 or even 6... and what good is a sniper hitman when he can't eventually wound?
So in the end, playing a Reiklander warband may not be that simple because archers often miss; but I really appreciate my warband and my warriors look WAAAAAY cool! After a few games with them, I gave them names and each one has its own story to tell (at least in my imagination)!
And if I manage to send my archers to strategic shooting positions, then the game is almost won (except if dice luck is with my enemy...)

Long live the Reiks!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Admin Tom
Admin
Admin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Wed 29 Aug 2007 - 15:37

Well, it is an ancient, undeniable and irrefutable wisdom, that an archer's chances to hit dramatically decrease with the increase of cover on the table. I mean, that makes sense and is OK that way. But then you also have a thing in Mordheim's city fights that you do not usually encounter on regular battlefields, and that thing is levels. A third dimension if you will.

Placing your archers on upper stories in buildings will give you alternative firing angles, thus allowing to somewhat find loopholes in the dogma "too many buildings = no firing angles". I know, I know, that is what you do anyway, but still, it can't hurt to point it out one more time. The 3-dimensionality of Mordheim's battlefields, gives unpredictable possibilities for archers and a player that knows what he is doing (which you undoubtedly are!).

I see another problem with this "stand and fire" tactic and that is that in 90% of the scenarios, Reiklanders (and most humans) are forced to choose it, if they want to win. It's obvious that this is the way to go. If I were playing Reiks, I admit, I would naturally choose the same gameplay: "camp" the rear end of the table, give the enemy all the arrows I've got, and then swoop in to collect the pieces... king

This phenomenon is terribly annoying for other players, and the worst thing about it is that you cannot even be mad at the Reiklander player, BECAUSE HE'S JUST DOING HIS JOB!!! Sad

However I think we have found a possibility to prevent that sort of unilateral gamplay, and add more tactical depth to the game:

It's the very simple concept of VICTORY POINTS!

Just define actions that makes teams gain 1, 2 or 3 VP. These points should be awarded dinamically (for more fun), i.e. that they can be gained AND LOST during the course of the battle.

e.g. The defender is alone versus 2 attackers. The game lasts 6 rounds.
Yet, he gains +2VP for each kill he makes, whereas the attackers only get +1VP. Aditionally you could define that each Wyrdstone counter (while in the player's possession) gives +2 VP the the attacker whereas it only gives +1VP to the defender.

You thus create a motivation for the defender to kill as many attackers as possible, whereas you demotivate the attackers to blindly rush towards the poor defender, because maybe there is a big shiny rock lying just around the corner worth 2VP!

If a scenario does not have VPs.... add them! Improvise! I have experienced that the most entertaining and fair games have been played with improvised VPs. And they also provide for many twists and turns: you can never really know who's winning until the last round is played!

I hope this gives inspiration to many of you to create and play new scenarios, or spice up older ones!

Cheers,
Tom Wink
Back to top Go down
Matthew

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Thu 6 Sep 2007 - 19:11

Hi

Ok I love Witch hunters because of the fluff (someones gotta do the dirty work they do Wink ) and how they play, i also run with Pit fighters as like tom said with the possessed, plenty of room to convert and make them look cool; I also like how small and elite they are plus you get to field an ogre (how cool is that!!). and the Beastmen but otherwise i love running warbands that no one else likes pirat .

Cheers

Im out
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Tortiou
Warlord
Warlord

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Sat 8 Sep 2007 - 5:30

Seems pretty cool Matthew!
If you have some spare time, why don't you upload photos of your warbands in the "Warbands Gallery" section of this forum?
it would be great to have a look at your soldiers! (I would be especially interested in the Pit Fighters)

Take care
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boehm
General
General

Personal Info
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Mon 24 Sep 2007 - 7:58

Hellfoot wrote:
Heya my personal favourite has to be anything including a Dwarf. Thy're strong, love ale, short, and preety funny although sometimes they tend to be pretty serious.

Cheers
Hellfoot Shocked

Go Stunties !!! - well yes I too play Dwarves ...
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Boehm
General
General

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Mon 1 Oct 2007 - 4:10

Which warband would you like to play next???

At the moment Im playing dwarves ...which obviously lent them themselves to a somewhat tactic that is perhaps not "static" then atleast ...a bit "box-like" ei. meaning that the slowness of the dwarves mean they can easily be outmaneuvered ...so its best to keep them all withing mutual support range so as not to have a faster opponent manage to bring all his guys in against only a fraction of yours ....

Wanting to try something different ...next Im pretty sure I will want to try to tackle the Ratmen ....the Skaven ...wuhu High Initiative AND Movement ....(soooo unlike my precious stunties) Smile

Claus

Edit: well either Skaven or Possessed ...since I already have the chaos figures ....hmm Oh well ....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Etienne de Beaugard
Youngblood
Youngblood

Personal Info
Primary Warband played:

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Tue 9 Oct 2007 - 17:41

My primary warband was Skaven for a long time, and I did very well with the rats. Hiding was my solution to the massed archer problem. Even using basic movement, a skaven band can advance quite rapidly, and hiding models can't be targetted.

My secondary warband was Middenheimers, which were underwhelming and rather boring, until my group allowed wolf priest. That little addition added some needed color to the band and made them competitive.

I've also played around with the Town Cryer Bretonnian list, but without much success.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Thu 18 Oct 2007 - 3:49

I started with Marienburgers but they prove to be way too weak so I switched to Reiklanders, which I love to play (even though I believe ranged combat is way underpowered compared to close combat).

I tried the Undead and Orcs & Goblins warbands both for a while but I never got to really dig them. But I LOVE Beastmen. I started Warhammer back then with a Beastman army so I was happy when their rules for MH were released. However, I was terribly sad when the EIF revised version of the Beastmen cut them from 2 Wounds to 1 (though in accordance with the respective edition of Warhammer).

I have been playing my very own Merchant Caravan warband since its creation and despite endless losses I still love playing them, because of their flavour.

Admin
Admin

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Sun 21 Oct 2007 - 7:20

Hey Cianty!

The merchant warband sounds cool! Mind posting a few pics in the Gallery section?

Cheers,
Tom
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Warband do you use and why?   Today at 20:49

Back to top Go down

What Warband do you use and why?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1