Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?

Go down 
+16
Matumaros
Hawkeye
Skavenblight
blitzkrieg bob
Tagnator
Chad
Identity
MagnoliaFan
KRUG_666
DeafNala
cianty
Lord Xi
Eliazar
Drugart
Ethlorien
HornedRat
20 posters
AuthorMessage
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Trading Reputation : 1

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned: none

WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Empty
PostSubject: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 2:12

Hey guys,

Recently my gaming group decided that we wanted to get back into Mordheim again. I joined this forum and found all the WIPs and inspiration pictures on this site very inspiring! So I thought I would share some of my WIPs.

First up are some stairs I made with HirstArts blocks with my handy "Building Scale Guy" that I use when I build anything. I should paint him up one day Rolling Eyes The painting is still WIP I plan to add some vines up the side I think.

WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Medium

Next is a tunnel section that is intended to be used to link up two platforms. I still have to add the "wing" sections on either side that will be attached with hinges so it can be adjustable and be used for platforms of different heights.

WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? SmallWIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? SmallWIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Small

Next is a platform used to give different heights on our table. I covered this with a cobblestone mat that I got from a Department 56 store that was going out of business. I got a ton of it for SUPER cheap. This one is currently not painted, but as you can see it doesn't look to bad as is. The stairs above are intended to be used for this particular platform.

Some warp stone tokens I made from glass beads.

A few WIP shots of some different buildings. These are all made from doublelayer cardboard and I typically cover them with pre-mixed concrete patch to toughen them up.

WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? MediumWIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? MediumWIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Medium
WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? MediumWIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Medium
WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? MediumWIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Medium

I host all my WIP pictures on my Pbase account if you want to take a look

http://www.pbase.com/therat/mordheim

Thanks for letting me share.

Last edited by HornedRat on Wed 21 Jan 2009 - 2:28; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed Picture locations)
Back to top Go down
http://www.pbase.com/therat
Ethlorien
Ancient
Ancient
Ethlorien

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 2:36

Good God Man! These are amazing. Love the Wyrdstone markers, the steps, the buildings . . . well everything really.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Drugart
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Drugart

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 4:08

Superb work so far. Cant wait to see some more progress on your scenery and terrain!
Back to top Go down
Eliazar
Etheral
Etheral
Eliazar

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Pirates (Unofficial) Pirates (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 7:18

Wow, those are some cool buildings! I like them a lot. Can't wait to see them painted.
Back to top Go down
Lord Xi
General
General
Lord Xi

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Witch Hunters Witch Hunters

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 7:19

Can we get some close ups of the bridge bit?
Back to top Go down
http://grimdarkvoid.blogspot.com/
cianty
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
cianty

Trading Reputation : 5

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Monks (BTB) Monks (BTB)
Achievements earned: Silver Tom Silver Tom

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 9:13

That's some impressive stuff there, HornedRat! Very cool! I look forward to seeing it painted.

Thanks for sharing! Smile
Back to top Go down
http://cianty-tabletop.blogspot.com/
DeafNala
Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 9:13

NICE START to what promises to be a GREAT looking Mordheim table. The little details you're adding to the buildings, like the book case add a lot of interest to the pieces. I REALLY like the overhangs & the flooring, especially the missing sections. VERY WELL DONE! KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK! thumbsup

Last edited by DeafNala on Thu 15 Jan 2009 - 12:29; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KRUG_666
Veteran
Veteran
KRUG_666

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marauders (BTB) Marauders (BTB)

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 9:29

Brilliant! cheers
Back to top Go down
http://www.woebringer.blogspot.com
MagnoliaFan
Warlord
Warlord
MagnoliaFan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 9:59

Wow, I love the big building with the chimny! And your table looks great too, cool water in the middle of the table. But, is it me or looks your table a little small (no offence!)
Back to top Go down
Identity
Elder
Elder
Identity

Trading Reputation : -2

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Lizardmen (Unofficial) Lizardmen (Unofficial)

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 12:04

The buildings look fabulous. I especially like the exterior wood framing you've done. I would be concerned about the playability of the bottom (and parts of the middle) floor of the last building though. I wouldn't want to fight a close combat down there.

Out of curiosity, why did you mark the nails of the floorboards with pen? I imagine you're going to paint over the top and obscure what appears to have been a very laborious process.
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 12:33

Seriously cool! Classic Mordheim stuff!
Back to top Go down
Tagnator
Etheral
Etheral
Tagnator

Trading Reputation : 6

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Averlanders Averlanders
Achievements earned: None

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeThu 15 Jan 2009 - 16:59

cool work, the wyrdstone counters are beautifull Smile
Back to top Go down
blitzkrieg bob
Veteran
Veteran
blitzkrieg bob

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeFri 16 Jan 2009 - 12:50

affraid wow, very nice stuff thumbsup

best
Back to top Go down
http://dooddminiatures.blogspot.com/
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jan 2009 - 0:34

Thanks for all the comments! Embarassed

@ Lord XI

You can see larger pictures of the bridge section on my pbase http://www.pbase.com/therat/mordheim_odds_and_ends

@ Identity

Yes the last building started off as more of a test on how to get a good working interrior for a multi story building. The ground floor keeps getting revised and is much more open now. I will post some more pics when I get a bit more work done on it.

The pattern on the floorboards is actually etched into the wood, I normally use a pen to do this and this is what you are seeing. When I paint the model the pattern is still there, the work really isn't lost. As a side note, it is also possible using this method to just use an ink wash to stain the floor which will leave the pattern showing through.

@ MagnoliaFan

The panel on my Pbase account is only a 2x2 section, I am waiting for more supplies to finish off the other 3+ sections.
Back to top Go down
Skavenblight
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Skavenblight

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Carnival of Chaos (EIF) Carnival of Chaos (EIF)
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jan 2009 - 0:52

You make me jealous.
It looks sooooo perfect.
Can't wait to see it finished.
Back to top Go down
http://hakostwo.blogspot.com
Hawkeye
General
General
Hawkeye

Personal Info
Achievements earned:

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jan 2009 - 20:03

Absolutely excellent stuff! I'm looking forward to seeing more of this!
Back to top Go down
Lord Xi
General
General
Lord Xi

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeSat 17 Jan 2009 - 21:19

What is the center arch of the bridge made from? If plaster cast, what mould did you use? I really like it.
Back to top Go down
http://grimdarkvoid.blogspot.com/
Matumaros
Champion
Champion
Matumaros

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Beastmen (EIF) Beastmen (EIF)

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009 - 1:30

Very good job, man!!!
Just a quick and silly question:

I see the house walls are made of packaging cardboard, am right?How's it going to react with painting?
Back to top Go down
HornedRat
Elder
Elder
HornedRat

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009 - 0:35

@ Lord XI

The Arch is a prefab Tunnel Culvert from woodland Scenic. It is cast in Hydrocal, and would be rather easy to make a mold from (Not that I have done that or anything Embarassed ) They make a number of different ones and they aren't to bad for the price you get 2 per box. You can see them here http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/items.cfm/TunnelPortals

@ Matumaros

Yes this buildings are made from Cardboard, but it is double layered WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Smallcardboard making it thicker than the stuff you find in most boxes. This makes it rather strong and prone to not warp. I coat most of my buildings with pre-mixed concrete patch which gives them a nice texture for painting and once dry they are pretty solid. And of course I primer my buildings prior to painting.

..Some progress Shots.

I added the "wing" sections to the bridge
They are adjustable up or down depending on the level of the platform you want to span. More shots http://www.pbase.com/therat/bridge
Back to top Go down
Chad
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Chad

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeWed 21 Jan 2009 - 15:53

Great stuff! Are the ramps ('wings') going to be that steep?
Back to top Go down
CrazyOrc88
Champion
Champion
CrazyOrc88

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeMon 26 Jan 2009 - 4:44

Everything is looking great, I like to see building that have detail on the inside as well as the outside. Keep updating.
Back to top Go down
Mordheimer
Venerable Ancient
Venerable Ancient
Mordheimer

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jan 2009 - 22:01

WOW! ... btw, I love WIP! It shows your hard work! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.mordheimer.com
Da Bank
Rules Guru
Rules Guru
Da Bank

Trading Reputation : 3

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Marienburgers Marienburgers

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeSat 31 Jan 2009 - 22:15

Awesome work!

My models are packing up to move to your place now. LOL.
Back to top Go down
robertrunner
Captain
Captain
robertrunner

Personal Info

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitimeWed 25 Feb 2009 - 4:28

Love these building designs I am using them as inspiration for my own

By the way
I have a "building scale guy" too, actually kind of similar guy with a two handed sword pointing straight up I use it for measuring heights to make sure things fit in buildings. I actually just painted him the other day in about five minutes to resemble an old bronze statue super quick here are some pictures

WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? 480308495_LWNc6-MWIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? 480308561_nFk8G-MWIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? 480308602_Sfpqs-M
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?   WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WIP - Because who doesn't like to look at WIPs?
Page 1 of 1