Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Mordheim Discussion

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterBlogYou'll never paint aloneLog inGolden Tom 2014 Thread!

How to etc...

Go down 
+3
magokiron
Oldcastle
Hellfoot
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hellfoot
Warlord
Warlord
Hellfoot

Trading Reputation : 0

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs
Achievements earned: none

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan 2009 - 18:05

Hey guys
over two years now I have been jumping on and off making buildings but now the time has come to settle in build them.

the only problem that I have found is designing them. Buildings in Malta are very very different then other European countries. So that is 1.

2nd I'm finding problems with measurement. How did you measure height etc and how high each floor is.

any info about buildings houses even links are welcome Smile

Cheers
Hellfoot
Back to top Go down
Oldcastle
Champion
Champion
Oldcastle

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Reiklanders Reiklanders
Achievements earned:

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeWed 7 Jan 2009 - 23:11

I try and make each floor about 2 inches (about 50 mm) apart. That same distance is roughly 10 feet / 3 meters in scale. It may a bit high for a a ceiling, but it easier to move Miniatures with that space.

Various topics here have links to places selling terrain/buildings. The pictures there would be a good place to look for inspiration for building designs. And the Works in Progress topics here are also good places to look...
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan 2009 - 5:08

At some moment, I tryed to make 60-70 mm (2 1/2 - 3 inch) high each floor for easy of meneuvering miniatures inside, but found it too complicated, because there are some players that are VERY strict about distances (for climbs or falls) so, for easy of gameplay, I now stick with 2 inch floors too.

Actually, the "Mordheim boxed set" card buidings, has 55mm tall first floors, while every floor above groud level are 50mm.

A good rule, as more often than not, action happens on ground level, and that extra 5 mm will hardly get objected and is really useful.

About wall lenght, some people likes to make massive buildings.

Imo, 100-120 mm (4-5 inches) is about right for average buildings.

Also, I try not to make buidings with more than 3 levels, as they rarely got used in my games (maybe is just us, your group can be multilevel, aerial combats fans).

The most important rule, however, is that you don't have to be a master builder to try your hand at it.

Everybody learns by making mistakes, and you'll learn a lot once you try.

And, as this is Mordheim, and the buildings ARE SUPPOSED to be destroyed, you can claim that any misfit was made on purpose. Very Happy

Look around here for inspiring pics, but don't be too ambitious for your first project.

Hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
magokiron
Ancient
Ancient
magokiron

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan 2009 - 5:41

Oh! One more tip.

Unless you are a store owner, or have unlimited free space, check and double check your storage space, and make your buildings with that in mind.

Storing your buidings in a safe place, like shelves or a drawer is very important, so make sure your scenery fits!

You don't want to get your buildings (after all the work you put into them) ruined because they are falling over and getting knocked all the time, do you?

Best wishes, and we are waiting to see your WIPs.
Back to top Go down
MagnoliaFan
Warlord
Warlord
MagnoliaFan

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Sisters of Sigmar Sisters of Sigmar

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan 2009 - 10:15

The thing I did when I first starting building houses was I started copying the cardbourd houses from the mordheim set in foamboard. This gives you some feel on how to build houses en you get familiar with hights ect.
Hope it is of some help.
Back to top Go down
jackanory
Warlord
Warlord
jackanory

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Skaven Skaven
Achievements earned:

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan 2009 - 11:25

It's always good to have a couple of human models lying around when building terrain, helps with working out scales!
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan 2009 - 15:23

I do my buildings 8cm high per storey, and usually my windows start 2 cm's roughly from the bottom edge and go up a few cm depending on how large i want them, and the doors are 5cm high 3 cm wide.

Admin
Admin
DeafNala

Trading Reputation : 9

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Orcs & Goblins Orcs & Goblins

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan 2009 - 15:55

Realizing that your local "scenery" may seem ordinary to you, to someone like moi, it IS a wonderous, exotic setting. Doing Mordheim with a Maltese touch COULD make a wonderfully unique gaming table. Just something to consider. thumbsup
Back to top Go down
Hellfoot
Warlord
Warlord
Hellfoot

Personal Info
Primary Warband played: Dwarfs Dwarfs

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan 2009 - 17:47

@Deafnala: yea we considered doing a Maltese style building scheme for our Mordheim table but wasn't going to be such a success hehe.

My only concern atm is finding Foam Boards. I know Malta is sh** not having stores which sell these things and I say... yea I know!! So I'm going to try finding a foreign shop at buy them at a good price.
Back to top Go down
Duce
Honour Guard
Honour Guard
Duce

Personal Info

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitimeThu 8 Jan 2009 - 21:27

Try an online shop

http://www.fredaldous.co.uk/
http://www.hobby.uk.com/shop/

some random ones i have noted. might help you a bit

How to etc... Empty
PostSubject: Re: How to etc...   How to etc... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to etc...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Tom's Boring Mordheim Forum :: General Discussion :: Scenery and Terrain-
Jump to: